Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-03-30 11:58:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Sick D'uccle - help please...

I hope the little guy makes it Lisa, I am rooting for him!!

I sometimes add water (with whatever meds I am using in it) to crumbles or pellets to soften them, mix a tiny bit of scratch in to make it inviting and see if a sick chook will eat that. Sometimes they hate it, sometimes they will eat a bit more that way.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-03-30 11:58:39

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-03-30 15:37:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I wonder if it is his kidneys that are affected, if he is drinking a lot.  The watery poops may be a sign he isn't retaining fluid.  Are the poops any wierd colours?  Is it super green with bile or the usual white browny grey stuff?   I think the green poop would be more serious, the digestion packing in. Does he feel heavier or lighter than usual?

With congestive heart failure they will build up fluid in the lungs and the bird may feel heavier than usual and  be short of breath and gurgly even, and drooling almost from the bottom beak and tongue.  Usually if there is that much fluid the comb goes dark. It is good it is still a normal colour. 

Could he have eaten or drank anything bad?  Wet mildewy feed/bedding, mouse poison anything like that?  The reason I ask is we had to have a cat put down with kidney failure after the vet suspected he had drank antifreeze, we have none laying around here so it was a mystery.  The cat came back from somewhere after a day of not being around, emaciated looking, dehydrated to thin air almost, while drinking and peeing like crazy.  I would think if it was feed you"d have more than one affected, but it's a possibility.

It's a long shot, but they use charcoal on people's stomachs for poisoning etc, to absorb that nasty stuff, could you grind some (maybe leftover wood chaunks in the ash if you have any) up for the little dude?  Long shot I know, I don't think it would harm him, no worse than burnt toast, but don't know what else to suggest except antibiotics and TLC, and it sounds like he is worsening poor little lad.  If it's a tumour or something affecting his organs, then there is not much you can do.  Just keep an eye on the little fella.  Hope he is OK.  :nervous:

#28 2012-03-30 22:30:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I hope Austin is doing better Lisa, perking up a bit.  It takes a while for antibiotics to have an affect anyway.  I hope you can figure it out.  I don't know what to suggest.  :nervous:  How is he?

#29 2012-03-30 23:23:29

gubi
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

It's a long shot, but they use charcoal on people's stomachs for poisoning etc, to absorb that nasty stuff

We use SHAC ponder.  With a cow we use 20cc of it orally 3 times a day.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#30 2012-03-31 01:55:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Cool Stefan.  I just googled it and they use it for algae control in ponds too.  Maybe Austin could use some!

#31 2012-03-31 02:52:58

Susan
Administrator

I actually use it too. It's great for tummy troubles. If I think someone has a tummy ache ( kids, me, dogs, birds ) they get a charcoal capsule. Seems to work here. The only caveat is not to use it with other meds as it will absorb and diminish their action

#32 2012-03-31 04:00:53

Susan
Administrator

Thinking of Austin, Lisa. How is he doing?

#33 2012-03-31 10:31:30

Lisa

Austin is still hanging in .....

He is still holding his beak open to breathe, but not nearly as wide as before (just a little). I just gave him a bowl of warm, wet pellets, and he's eating some of it in teeny, tiny bites.

Tough little lad! If he can be healed through good wishes alone, he's be flying already! Thanks guys....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#34 2012-03-31 12:06:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Good vibes to Ausin...many, many good vibes and wishes for a full recovery. I hope he eats the whole bowl of wet pellets one tiny bite at a time.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#35 2012-03-31 13:04:38

Lindy Lou

I hope Austin is improving a bit more today. I think these sudden changes in weather conditions are often more than their little bodies can handle. I just had to move a Barred Rock inside to the barn. She's slightly older and was sitting huddles up with her eyes closed. She wasn't eating and seems to have lost weight, I don't think she'll make it but we'll see.
Keep up the good work Lisa :hug:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#36 2012-03-31 21:14:56

Lisa

Still some fight left in him - face now covered in yogurt....

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#37 2012-03-31 21:17:23

appway

with all the great care he is getting I am sure he will pull thru this and be himself soon
prayers are going out to him

#38 2012-03-31 21:33:34

Helliefant

:cheer:  Go Austin!  :cheer:
:cheer:  Go Austin!  :cheer:

#39 2012-03-31 22:52:09

Lindy Lou

Edit that I've had to bring inside myBLRW. She's breathing with her mouth open and coughing. I shouldn't have congratulated myself about coming through the winter with not too much respiratory issues. Need a smilie of a monkey with it's hand firmly clasped over it's mouth or one with a great big size 10 in it's mouth. :whistle:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#40 2012-04-01 00:45:53

poplar girl
Administrator

I think bad things can happen anytime and we just need to watch carefully and do everything we can to help them stay healthy or get better as the case might be Lindy Lou! And I will keep your smilie request in mind :)

Now I am sending good vibes to Austin AND your chooks LL. Yogurt is a good idea Lisa, it will go down easily if his throat if he is having trouble swallowing.

#41 2012-04-03 12:40:23

Lisa

Morning All! :)

Austin is still hanging in.... tough little dude!

He has been eating his regular feed with water (porridge) and plain yogurt - but only when I hold the dishes near his face. He doesn't like the feel of stuff stuck to his beak, and shakes it off....

His comb is now quite pale, and the points are starting to droop. Temperature is normal on the comb. He is still holding his beak open to breathe at times, but sometimes is breathing through his nose.

Poops are of two types - very green and watery, and thicker brown (mucously looking).

Any ideas what this is? That will not kill a chicken after almost a week?

Thanks for the guesses.

#42 2012-04-03 15:16:29

Flat Rock Farm

Lisa I really hope Austin pulls through whatever he has going on.  What you have been describing is almost identical to what my bantam Araucana rooster had.  The only thing he had different going on was swollen ears.  had the same types of poops, and hung on for a month, eating small amounts, he never got worse and never got better.  Tried him on a gammett of different things to see if something would help but he never got better. I think he had something going on with one of his major organs but never took him for a post mortum.
I really hope he gets better Lisa, I am rooting for him :cheer:

#43 2012-04-03 17:11:14

NaturesPace
Website

We might want to pin this link to the top. http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index. … ic=17568.0
photos of good & bad poop and some possible reasons for bad poo.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#44 2012-04-03 17:44:41

Lindy Lou

Man some of that stuff is just NASTY :sick:

#45 2012-04-03 19:50:31

Flat Rock Farm

Lindy Lou wrote:

Man some of that stuff is just NASTY :sick:

:sick: Ditto that!! :sick:

#46 2012-04-04 00:05:34

poplar girl
Administrator

I don't really know what to suggest Lisa. I am glad Austin is hanging in there but sad to hear he is no better.  So we know it is not worms (unless it is a worm piperzine is not effective against), not live or mites and not a Tetracycine susceptible bacteria.  I really don't know what it is :(.

naturespace maybe we should post the poo link as a separate thread and sticky it? I have seen those photos before and they are a great reference to be able to go to. Do you want to make a new post and one of the admins can sticky it?

#47 2012-04-04 00:15:06

Lindy Lou

Yea some of that poo looked real sticky.:sick::funny:

#48 2012-04-04 00:17:17

poplar girl
Administrator

Lindy Lou wrote:

Okay that's pretty funny...yes it certainly did ;)

#49 2012-04-04 12:25:04

Flat Rock Farm

Lindy Lou wrote:

:funny: :funny: :funny: :sick:

#50 2012-04-06 13:43:21

Lisa

So I'm thinking it was his heart - he ate his blueberries last night, and this morning he was gone. RIP Austin.

Thanks again for all of your help everybody.

Adverts

Board footer