Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-28 12:37:07

Lisa

Sick D'uccle - help please...

H'Lo All,

Austin is sick (lavender cockeral). He was looking a bit poorly yesterday (sitting in the nest with his silkie pal - sounds familiar....), so I checked him for mites and didn't see anything. This morning, he is crowing - and sounds like he's got a very sore throat, on the way to laryngitus. He seems lighter to me (lost weight). Anybody got an idea about what this is, or what to do??

Thanks so much. :nervous:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2012-03-28 12:37:07

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-28 12:59:39

Susan
Administrator

Re: Sick D'uccle - help please...

I'm not one to rush into using antibiotics, but in the right circumstances I will. With a special bird, I may be quicker to treat. It makes sense on one hand to separate him, but that can cause a lot of stress which he doesn't need and the others have already been exposed to what he has. If they aren't picking on him I'd leave him. If he is perking up I'd just put apple cider vinegar in their water for now. Its probably viral. If he looks worse or the others show symptoms I'd start them on Tylan to deal with any secondary bacterial infections. Some high protein treats like boiled egg or liver are always a good idea too. Keep us posted!

#3 2012-03-28 13:24:19

Lisa

Austin is just in with 2 little silkie girls - shouldn't be a problem with their behaviour. My first inclination was to separate him, but if I can leave him, I think it would be better. He doesn't like to be alone. Thanks Susan.

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2012-03-28 13:59:31

Lisa

Well, he happily scarfed down his share of the scrambled egg. Right afterwards, there was a really watery poop. For good measure, I also sprayed those three with frontline (antimite stuff). Had to peel one silkie off the nest to do it (she's been happily sitting on a golf ball for a few days).

Any other ideas what this is?

Thanks folks.

#5 2012-03-28 14:09:38

Lindy Lou

Hi Lisa,
I wouldn't be surprised if his condition has been brought about by the up and down weather we've been having. I had the same happen with one of my OEG. I brought her into the barn, gave her a heat lamp and some vitamins in her water. Once she warmed up she gulped down her share of scrambled egg and has been fine ever since. That cold cold wind we had certainly didn't give the birds much of a chance to keep warm. Didn't do much for me either.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2012-03-28 15:35:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think you've had some good advice Lisa.  I am pretty sure it is either a respiratory bug type thing due to the weather as it did get quite cold the past couple of days compared to the 2 weeks before.  If he's parasite free, I'd just keep an eye on him in with his girls.  You could give them a heat lamp and see how he does. 

If you hear any rattling/wheezing etc start antibiotics then, but for now, TLC, warmth and treats.  Hopefully he perks up quick. 

I think they get depressed with the cold too.  My sumatras are ultra-clingy when it's really cold and they beg more when it's cold too, today they were all over me, but 2-3 days ago, when it was warm, not really at all.

#7 2012-03-28 15:55:20

Island Girl

I wanted to suggest a heat lamp but look like Claire covered that. Hope he has a very quick recovery!

XOX Monika

#8 2012-03-28 17:02:32

Flat Rock Farm

Well there is nothing I can add Lisa as you have gotten some good advise, things I would have suggested as well.  I hope little "Austin Powers" is feeling better "ya baby" =D

#9 2012-03-28 20:30:49

Lisa

Austin has continued to look a little crumpled today - but not upset enough to stay inside when there was bread being tossed about! I put a heat lamp on for him, but mostly he's not using it (choosing to squash into the nest with the broody silkie).

But he's not looking any worse. Hopefully he just hates the cold ... they say we end up like our pets.... maybe they end up like us... =D

#10 2012-03-29 00:52:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh I hope he is okay Lisa :shock:. I know what a horrible feeling it is when they are not feeling well. It is worse when you can't figure out why.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#11 2012-03-29 01:04:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes hope he's better soon. =D

#12 2012-03-29 10:17:27

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

When was the last time he was wormed?  He could be bothered with a bad case of intestinal worms.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#13 2012-03-29 11:50:12

Lisa

Good thought Bessie!

I've got some piperzine - I'll throw it in the water.... can it go in with the ACV?

#14 2012-03-29 12:41:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Not sure Lisa. I would not mix the two without knowing for sure as with the effect the ACV has on pH they might not be compatible. I know when I googled the mix of Tylan and ACV I was able to find info saying NOT to mix them. You could google pipeline and ACV and see what comes up.

How is Austin today?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#15 2012-03-29 13:09:25

Lisa

Austin is looking very light, and still rumpled.

He is opening his beak like he wants to crow or is having trouble breathing, but nothing comes out. No crow. But also no sneezing, wheezing, coughing or discharge. When I hold him up to my ear, there's no rattling in his chest.

He is not spending time under his light - he's prefering to cram in the nest with the patient, sitting silkie. Bless her little broodie heart.

He ate a few bites of chicken kibble while I was there. I'm going to try worming him and giving him some more warm egg today.

Thanks for the help and concern everybody....

#16 2012-03-29 15:22:18

Lisa

So Austin is now standing in a brooder bin in my dining room with a heat lamp at one end, and a fully doctored bucket of water at the other.

In the bucket are tetracycline, piperzine and electrolytes (to help him get over the first two). As soon as I put him in there, he started drinking. One mouthful, tilt the head back, gape the beak, next mouthful.

He is continuing to gape his beak - looks like he's having trouble breathing, or is trying to crow. But I can't see his tongue. Chickens HAVE tongues, don't they??

He had only one bite of egg this morning, and looked like he was having trouble swallowing it - that's when I decided he was really ill and had to come in!

Don't know what else to do - any other ideas??

Thanks guys....

Last edited by Lisa (2012-03-29 15:23:09)

#17 2012-03-29 15:45:45

Susan
Administrator

Is his comb darker or bluish? Wondering about his heart. You are doing the best for him. Keep him quiet and warm. Now you just have to wait and see. Hoping for him!

#18 2012-03-29 15:48:58

Lisa

Comb and wattles haven't changed - still a nice pink-red.

Poops are very liquid and fairly frequent. He just shoved around the kibbles in his feeder - don't know if he ate any. He's having trouble breathing. Thanks for the support guys!

#19 2012-03-29 19:20:50

Flat Rock Farm

Hope it's not gape worm, see if you have a look down his throat.. You will see if it if he has them :sick:

#20 2012-03-30 00:14:56

poplar girl
Administrator

I was thinking gape worm as well.

I hope he makes it Lisa, poor little guy :(

#21 2012-03-30 00:59:33

Lisa

..Um... what's gape worm?

#22 2012-03-30 01:13:47

poplar girl
Administrator

I have never seen them but here is a good thread on BYC: http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/87267 … t-do-we-do

They can kill your chicken and most wormers (including piperzine) will not kill them.

#23 2012-03-30 01:17:10

poplar girl
Administrator

This thread says Ivemectin WILL kill gapeworm, I didn't think it did but maybe it will.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/20351 … age-please

#24 2012-03-30 01:51:36

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry he's no much better!  I have no experience with gapeworm, but I don't think I would give 2 meds at the same time.  I would pick one of the two.  Even additional minerals can affect how the meds work (mostly the coccidostats).  Unless you can see worms in the poop or in his throat, I'd personally go antibiotics only.  In our experience here respiratory/throats issues will be more common than worms.  Has anyone had birds with them in Ontario?  Just wondering how common it would be in our area.

I hope he perks up.  I'd get him some soft food if he's having trouble with kibble.  Another possibility, does he have any round brown, grey, white or black scabs on his comb/wattles that would not be scratches from sparring etc?  Or a light mildew looking greyish black spotting on the comb?  The wet fowl pox can make breathing/eating almost impossible.  If you are not sure on the comb, can you post pics and I can take a look.  It is viral and antibotics for secondary infections would be the treatment course. The spots are very variable.

#25 2012-03-30 11:50:34

Lisa

Claire,

Austin is looking tired this morning - he's still opening his beak wide with every breath. Starting to fall asleep standing up between breaths. I've been looking down his throat, but don't see anything. There are no signs of scabs, scaly bits or mildew on his comb or wattles. I'm thinking maybe this is a heart problem, even though his comb hasn't changed colours.

Good advice on the multiple meds. He's drinking quite a lot. Think I'll take out the wormer and just keep the tetra.

Thanks for the help guys!

Adverts

Board footer