Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-21 01:03:55

Island Girl

EOs roos from Claire's hatch mid-Sept/11 - weights added

These are my 3 roos that I would love for you guys to critique if you have some time. I will post 3 pictures of each and tell you a bit about them. All three have good size and nice thick legs. They are all 6 mths old.

Roo  #1 Weight is 2.12 kgs (4.7 lbs) has not started crowing yet and generally speaking is at the bottom of the roo pecking order. His comb is smallish and not as red as the other two.
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroogreenband.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroogreenband3.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroogreenband4.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroosClaires003.jpg

Roo #2 Weight is 2.45 kgs (5.4 lbs) has the most awful crow I have ever heard bar none, he just kinda yells and has not improved at all over time. Nicer color and shape of comb and wattles.
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroowhitelegsnoband.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroowhitelegsnoband3.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOroowhitelegsnoband11.jpg

Roo /3 Weight is 2.14 kgs (4.7 lbs) has a very nice crow. He has yellow legs and beak. Nice color and shape of comb and wattles. He is my roo with the twisted toes.
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOrooyellowlegs3.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOrooyellowlegs4.jpg http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd420/801Islandgirl/EOrooyellowlegs8.jpg

Need your :wise: to help me figure this out please.

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-03-21 17:18:34)

2012-03-21 01:03:55

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-21 01:29:24

Flat Rock Farm

Re: EOs roos from Claire's hatch mid-Sept/11 - weights added

Well I like the colour of #3, too bad about his crooked toes, he has nice yellow legs though!!

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-03-21 01:29:45)

#3 2012-03-21 01:36:24

appway

were the toes crooked when he hatched or could it be something that showed up later
I like him and love his leg color

#4 2012-03-21 01:45:37

gubi
Website

Roo#1 great color but white legs.  I love the fact that he has a nice red chest! 
#2 too much grey and blue legs.  I like his width. 
#3 good color and leg colour but crooked toes I wouldn't breed with.  I know it is from an incubating problem but why did only he get it and not the others? Makes me think the others have stronger genetics? 

I would keep #1 and breed him to yellow legged hens.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-03-21 02:51:18

NaturesPace
Website

#1 looks really niceto me. Very little grey and black.when I think of the photos from the web. http://www.euskalroots.eu/galeria/gallery.html

The only difference I can see is that you would like a little black on his hackles. Seems to me if you go with him you Would have nice results.

Having said that, I think you should also consider the body type first, then the coloring.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#6 2012-03-21 03:05:58

Susan
Administrator

Just guessing but I would guess roo 2 is the heaviest, then1, then 3. I also like the colour of roo 1 best. And as much as I agree with  the fact that the frame is important, I think while selecting for type, you must take into account colour.

#7 2012-03-21 04:17:52

Island Girl

Thanks for all your input so far =D  I think I will take some time to get a weight on these fellows too. Maybe #1 will have a nice crow and maybe his comb will deepen in color and size. I'm not sure how important any of you think this is but I know that I simply can't torture myself by listening to #2 with his present crow. Hmmm, is that a genetic trait?? I will give him more time to mature and thereby possibly getting it right but otherwise he is headed for the pot :chairhide: Honestly, #3 is my favorite. His toes actually were not twisted at hatching but did develop that way over time. He has the most personality and has the nicest overall shape and looks. I do love his comb the best and he has the deepest dark red wattles. But that toe ....... More opinions please :please:

XOX Monika

#3 is my avatar picture, you can see that his right foot was just fine back then :huh:

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-03-21 04:19:29)

#8 2012-03-21 04:40:20

ipf

Pretty much everything is at least partially (and sometimes enormously) genetic. . . including voice quality.

As a geneticist (not breeder) I advise selecting for vigour, growth, general robustness (as well as all those visual traits). This is a breed with a small gene pool , and you guys are going to have to battle that constantly.

Incubating problems. . . well, position within the incubator is diffeerent for each egg; temerature will vary. I'm not sure I'd be too quick to disqualify one with incubation-related defects. But it's all a compromise, for sure.

#9 2012-03-21 05:09:26

Island Girl

Thanks ipf, when you say vigor, growth and general robustness I can't help but think of roo #3 (yellow legs/crooked toes). He was the first one to hatch and was always the first to run over to me when I put my hand in the brooder. Almost in a cocky 'I am the king of these little cheeps' way. He was always the biggest as the chicks grew (will weigh them tomorrow) and was the first to crow. He is the first to greet me and the one who seems to be main roo out in the coop. He is definitely the one with the most personality and has always stood out compared to the rest. Ahhh, food for thought!

XOX Monika

#10 2012-03-21 10:22:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think roo number one is the brownest roo I have seen, there is a touch of black on his hackles, I bet that will evolve as he matures too.  It may be the way he is standing but his breast (could be crop but looks very big and smoothly curved) looks almost concave above his legs. 

Roo number 2 has the big flat front under there I see with my boy.  Roo 2 looks big too, best body of them all from the pics I see.  But he has very little brown (barn paint). I found my grey boys were the biggest, must just be random, but they never seem to be top of the pecking order either.

Roos number 3 is a lovely lad.  I think he is build differently though, not as quite smooth and curvy and full as number 2, but has the flat front.   He has more filling out to do.

Honestly I think they all have their merits, but 2 is built the best, I like favoring top roo too as long as there is no meanness in them.  How many hens total, can you match some up in pairs or trios and see what you get?  It's more feeders and waterers and pens I know.  Or do one batch of chicks from each roo with all the hens over the summer.  We will certainly learn from it.

Also interesting to note is two experts now have told us that two different unwanted traits (bent toes and white tail feathers) could be due to a deficiency in the diet too.   We get the whitetail here but I am still mystified why no bent toes here, when eggs we have shipped that are sibs to our have some eventually develope it.  But I have always said their genetics may predispose them to be sensitive to environmental conditions.

As far as crows, Specky shouts, with a real break in it, not partricularly pretty sounding, but I loev him so I cabn ingnore it.  We have had marans sound like that too.  Most of my EOs rom last year sound like it too. and the two year old that gets on my knee- less than a foot away from me...... hard to ignore, he's such a showoff.  I was just saying to Lynn the other day, Sonny Jim has a really low pitch crow and it's almost tuneful, and sounds the best of the lot. I can hear when it's him compared to the others, the others sound like a raucous chorus.

#11 2012-03-21 15:17:24

poplar girl
Administrator

Weight them iG and let us know. I think it is important to keep size and type in mind and I would have to agree with Claire that from the photos #2 is best in that department.

Color wise not the case. I would pick #3 and then #1 for color. Smaller comb is not a huge issues, I think some of the combs are getting a bit big. The crooked toes wouldn't necessarily be a "do not pass go" for me it otherwise the size, vigour and temperament were there.

I would have to agree that keeping at least 2 of these boys and trying some pair or small group matings to see what chicks you get would be ideal.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2012-03-21 16:00:36

Island Girl

I have been fighting mites with these three roos this past week, which is why they were inside drying off after their bath. I am looking forward to some improved weights over the next short while as I do believe that they could be heavier at this point. Claire I think that #1 roo is standing at an odd angle which makes him look a little concave, but good catch, I will take another photo of each when I weigh them and see if he really does look that way. Sometimes when I take pictures it really does make certain things pop out at you that you never noticed before. I will finish my coffee and then start weighing these lads to see if that will sway anyones thoughts on which one would be the main keeper. I will only be keeping 2 adult roos one from Susan's batch and one of these three. But I don't have to worry about the Susan's fellow yet as he isn't crowing yet. When #1 starts crowing I will have to downsize :(

XOX Monika

**I added the weights as of this morning and another shot of roo #1 so you could see if he still looks concavish, is that a word?**

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-03-21 17:20:18)

#13 2012-04-07 04:06:36

Island Girl

Hi again, so I was re-reading everyone thoughts on my roos. Very much appreciated, thank you. I'm not really sure how I missed gubi mentioning that roo #2 has blue legs. So what is the difference between white or blue legs? Is one worse than another. I'm seriously thinking that roo #2 is the one I will use for breeding because he has such exceptional size, width etc. Should the fact that he has blue legs steer me away from him anymore than if he had white ones?

XOX Monika

#14 2012-04-07 04:37:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Monika, easy answer is blue legs are worse than white especially on a roo.

A barred roo should not have blue legs. Since he does he may produce some chicks (pullets) that are not barred. He is also very silver so he will probably father quite a few silver chicks.

Last year I found the roosters like #2 were usually the nicest, biggest boys. Figures!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#15 2012-04-07 04:54:54

Island Girl

Thanks pg ;) don't get into too much trouble now for being on the computer instead of visiting :whistle: So do you agree that his legs are blue?

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer