Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-16 23:59:46

pops coops
Website

Ridley Bronze Turkey this years hatch for sale

From our own select flock of Ridley Bronze Turkeys :turkey: we have young from this year and more hatching every week.

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/popscoops/furnitureandbirdsnewpics077.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/popscoops/furnitureandbirdsnewpics087.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/popscoops/furnitureandbirdsnewpics036.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/popscoops/furnitureandbirdsnewpics037.jpg
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee481/popscoops/furnitureandbirdsnewpics035.jpg

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

2012-03-16 23:59:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-17 00:03:49

gubi
Website

Re: Ridley Bronze Turkey this years hatch for sale

Good thing you and susan are so far away!  Or I would have to come and get some!  How old do you butcher them?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-03-17 00:10:09

pops coops
Website

10 months would be a great time but that would be Susans job, the pictures of the adults are mine that were let out today for the first time and they will now not go in till the fall, they love outside.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.

#4 2012-03-17 01:37:10

Susan
Administrator

:shock:  No butchering for me! These guys are such pets. Gubi, if you want eggs, I can send them :) ......

#5 2012-03-17 01:54:46

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Gorgeous.  :turkey: I love Turkey Lurkeys

We were going to get turkeys, this year but am not sure we are up to the work.  I want separate housing to the chicken as we have blackhead here.  Maybe next year.

#6 2012-03-17 03:50:53

poplar girl
Administrator

:love: I had a tough time choosing but I think we are going to get some Narragansett turkeys and maybe keep a trio. I do love the Ridley bronze as well though.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-03-17 09:53:45

gubi
Website

Thanks Susan!  I think with moving this summer I will have to figure out how to house all my chickens first before I can an add something else to the mix.  If I were to stay here with the big old bank barn I would buy some eggs from you for sure!  I've wanted narragansetts for a while, but the Ridley are growing on me fast.  They are beautiful animals.  Maybe next year!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-03-17 14:08:24

pops coops
Website

Narragansetts are a nice bird but the Ridley Bronze are a much more friendly bird, more of a pet

#9 2012-03-17 17:46:46

poplar girl
Administrator

Pops...don't do it....you need to tell me to back away from the turkeys :nervous:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2012-03-17 20:05:24

Susan
Administrator

Sorry, PG, I'm with Pops on this one! :turkey:  oh and don't be worried if a few of the EO eggs look funny- I'm working on a new line with really big speckled eggs. :whistle:

#11 2012-03-18 01:25:11

Maggiesdad

Man, I wish I lived up north....  :love:

#12 2012-03-18 01:49:37

gubi
Website

Susan wrote:

Sorry, PG, I'm with Pops on this one! :turkey:  oh and don't be worried if a few of the EO eggs look funny- I'm working on a new line with really big speckled eggs. :whistle:

that just happen to take 4 weeks to hatch!

I was under the impression the Narragansetts where the pets of the turkeys?  :doI?:  i just got my chicken coop shed today I'll have to give my family a bit of time for the next shocker!  Next year maybe

#13 2012-03-18 03:00:12

Susan
Administrator

A house warming present is in your future gubi! As for Pets, my boy, Peeps, my Ridley Bronze is awesome. Everyday last year until I locked him in for the winter,Peeps would fly over the 6 foot chain link fence at about 8 in the morning. He waited at the door until the kids and I came out to wait for the school bus. He would walk down the driveway and hang out until the bus came. The kids would get on and each day I waited for him to try to climb aboard as well. We're in a bunch of acreages, not farms, so the kids on the bus always flocked to the windows thinking he was so cool. He never did. Just waited til they got on and then turned around and did chores with me :)

#14 2012-03-18 03:02:20

poplar girl
Administrator

Well I thought Narragansett were supposed to be the most friendly too gubi. Now I might need to do a comparative test =D. All for science :whistle:

#15 2012-03-18 12:24:40

Lisa

If we are discussing friendly turkeys, I'll have to add in a vote for Bourbon Reds. :turkey:

As juveniles, our four from last year used to start calling me just before dusk - call meant "Mama, come and tell us a story". I'd go into the turkey pen and talk to them, they'd arrange themselves on my lap and under my arms, and tell me what happened during the day. Then I'd put them in their coop and they'd go to sleep.

When they were older, there was one that used to fly out of the pen in the early evening and follow me around as I did chores. Then she'd call a lot, which meant "it's time to play chase the turkey". I'd chase her and she'd run back to her pen. Who says birds don't have personality???  =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#16 2012-03-18 16:03:49

NaturesPace
Website

Did you guys keep them as pets or for dinner or a bit of both? I would think if i snuggled with a turkey I might not find him so tasty.

:turkey:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#17 2012-03-18 16:31:43

Lisa

NS,

It was hard, but all of our birds went to freezer camp. I had to keep reminding myself that they were purchased to feed my family, and that I gave them the very best life that I could. Given a choice, I like to think (perhaps misguided??) that they would prefer a short but nice life with us than no life at all. This might be complete rationalization, but it's the best I can do... sometimes being an omnivore is tough. DH still misses them..... but wants more.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#18 2012-03-18 16:42:16

pops coops
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Man, I wish I lived up north....  :love:

We could trade because I want to live down south

#19 2012-03-18 16:59:24

Maggiesdad

:lol: Then just bring the Turkeys with you!  :thumbsup:

#20 2012-03-18 20:32:44

NaturesPace
Website

Lisa wrote:

NS,

It was hard, but all of our birds went to freezer camp. I had to keep reminding myself that they were purchased to feed my family, and that I gave them the very best life that I could. Given a choice, I like to think (perhaps misguided??) that they would prefer a short but nice life with us than no life at all. This might be complete rationalization, but it's the best I can do... sometimes being an omnivore is tough. DH still misses them..... but wants more.

Maybe we should get turkeys that are A$$holes, so we don't feel bad about shortening their lives? ;)

:funny:

When my roos are big enough and I realize no one else wants them, I will also need make my peace with a freezer camp scenario.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#21 2012-03-18 21:12:41

gubi
Website

Once you have tasted an EO rooster you might not be as keen on finding homes for them.  :eat:

#22 2012-03-19 01:06:18

Maggiesdad

Lindy Lou isn't in here is she?  :chairhide:

I can't wait to try an EO roo!  :jumping:  :eat:

#23 2012-03-19 01:09:33

Flat Rock Farm

Lindy Lou isn't in here is she? 

:funny: Not right now but she will see it :nervous:

#24 2012-03-19 01:53:53

Lindy Lou

Shame Shame Shame on you. Isn't it bad enough that you plan on eating all those lovely little piggies, now you've set your sights on those poor defenceless little Roosters. Tut Tut Tut and a finger wagging too!!!

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#25 2012-03-19 02:02:05

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We have a couple of grey EO lads bound for the freezer this spring.  Our first and I am looking forward to them.  They are not super friendly, so I am OK with it, there are 4 chanties that also need to go any time too.  They are actually behaving better that they were in the fall, but still not good enough for breeding anyway.  Raising them to eat means we have room to hatch more!

Adverts

Board footer