Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-15 12:51:40

Susan
Administrator

Hydrogen Peroxide

Have any of you used it or heard of it as a supplement in the water for your birds? Pops has been looking into it (I hope he'll chime in here) and it sounds really interesting. It seems to be a bit of an immune booster. Kind of like using ACV now and then.

2012-03-15 12:51:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-15 14:06:28

pops coops
Website

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide

Pops will chime in here a little later, I have a super article that I will find and post when I get back this afternoon, for now this is interesting reading.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/food_grade_h202.html

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#3 2012-03-15 15:44:51

Island Girl

Hubby bought me some and I have been hesitant to use it so I look forward to reading this info. Thanks pops and Susan.

XOX Monika

#4 2012-03-15 22:13:21

pops coops
Website

Here is a very good link about the use on people, the chicken one is on the way

http://altmed.creighton.edu/o2tx/H202.htm

and another link, this one has links on it as well, and they are well worth the reading, at the bottom of this page is a link to Spring Hill farms.

http://www.localharvest.org/blog/18714/ … t_for_your

Last edited by pops coops (2012-03-15 22:18:46)

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.

#5 2012-03-15 22:32:52

pops coops
Website

Now for what I have noticed

I was told about this for human consumption a couple years ago, tried it was not impressed with the taste, but used it on my birds, great results, in the way they looked and the egg production and the fertility also thought that if I did have to medicate it worked better. For some reason I stopped and again last fall decided to start using it again, Food grad is very expensive but that is all that I though was available to me so I spent the money and diluted to 3% and added to the water. The first thing I noticed very fast was egg production on the rise; the second thing was the overall health and feather. Eggs were larger and had more sheen, fertility was like 100%. My hatch rates are very high and my fertility is even higher. Last year I would add it to the water for the new hatch and a bit more to Peachick hatches with next to no mortality and in peachicks that is very good. Because the food grad is so expensive I found a source for nonfood grade 29%, called the company and they told me the only difference was the conditions it was made, one facility had to be inspected but other than that nothing different, so now I have a source where I can buy it at a reasonable price and it works just as well.  Since I have started using it again the eggs are larger and more sheen but I had only stopped for a few months. I showed Susan some of the eggs that I took her the other day so she can comment on that. On another note I have had loyal customers for years, they come back every year to ad to the flocks but for some strange reason I need more customers this year.

Last edited by pops coops (2012-03-16 15:13:19)

#6 2012-03-15 23:32:24

gubi
Website

We have been using peroxide in our water for close to 15 years.  I'm not convinced its a be all and cure all but just another piece in the puzzle.  We have a pump that doses the peroxide as the water pump pumps at my parents place.  I load 20 liter pails of water into my minivan to take home for my chickens and goats.  One thing is for sure that if I fill up the waterers with water from here they turn green in no time at all if I use peroxide water from the milk house I don't get the algae! 
One thing that I know is not true that is in pops first link.  It suggests to use peroxide water to clean cows teats, they say it softens up teats.  We find peroxide really dries out teats.  I like peroxide a lot.  We use it everywhere that chlorine bleach could be used.  I really dislike chlorine bleach, I can't stand the smell of it!  I think it is one of the worst chemicals.  Peroxide breaks down into water and Oxygen. 
We were also able to disconnect our water softeners since adding peroxide to our water.  No more rust stains either.  The water bowls stay cleaner too.  As for health claims they are so hard to prove as there are so many variables.  I do notice that if I have 2 waterers besides each other one with water from the milk house and one with water from here, they empty the peroxide one first.  A word of caution extra oxygen is great unless you are a fish!  When we first installed our system and were getting the dosages right my sister thought she should give her fish some of this great new water too.  That didn't end well for the fish.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#7 2012-03-16 14:27:46

Susan
Administrator

Well, I think I'm going to get some. It sounds like it may be very beneficial. I'm always looking for natural ways to boost immunity :) and man those eggs pops brought over were huge! For some reason, in my coop of Ameracaunas, Wyandottes etc, all year they have layed rather small eggs. If it was just one breed, I'd put it down to genetics, but its not. I'm interested to see if this helps.

Adverts

Board footer