Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-14 09:08:02

choctawgal
Website

Question: hobbles 4 splayed legs

On Friday "Mama Mia" my broody Buff Brahma gal, hatched four black Sizzle chicks for me.  :chickout:  Yesterday I relocated Mia and her brood to a better location.

Right now I have my make-shift ICU box by my side of the bed with two of them in it. 

Unfortunately, one chickie had been dead long enough to get stiff.  darn it!  :stomp:  Another was found outside the nest box prior to moving Mama, and appeared cold, limp, and for all intents and purposes, pretty much dead... but I decided to see if anything may happen if I warmed the little one in my hands, under the brooder lamp that was keeping an older batch warm.  After thoroughly warmed, it began to shiver! (YAY... It's alive!!)  I went in to pop some water in the micro to make tea to warm *me* up, and heard a LOUD **PEEP!! PEEP!! PEEP!!**  It was the little ex-icicle, exercising her(?) lungs!  :love:  I put one of the smallest EE chicks, that I got last weekend, in to keep her company.  She continues to do well!

Today I removed the tiniest Sizzle so that I could put vet-wrap hobbles on it for significantly splayed legs.  It didn't take but a couple hours to adjust so that standing and walking appear to be manageable.  I think that they went on okay especially for a first timer!  LOL   The question that I have is, how long do leg hobbles usually need to be left on until the situation corrects?... or will I need to check on it every couple days to see how its progressing?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Signing off for now to try to get a couple hours of "shut-eye!"
:surfing:
Jenn
(Re; the 3rd remaining Sizzle, I slipped a little NH Red chick under Mia so that that little one would have company!)

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

2012-03-14 09:08:02

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-14 13:04:57

Susan
Administrator

Re: Question: hobbles 4 splayed legs

Wow, what a great chicken Mom you are! I would leave them on for a couple days and then check again. It might be a good idea to do it for a week. I guess just keep checking, biut you want the legs to strengthen in the right position. Sorry I'm not more help, buit it sounds like you're doing it all right! :)

#3 2012-03-14 15:09:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes, good luck, I have no experience with this, so hope it works out well. :thumbsup:

#4 2012-03-14 15:41:26

Island Girl

Good morning, way to go chicky nurse Jenn. I have left toe hobbles on for up to a week but I check them everyday and change them if needed. I have a post on here about hobbles, might be worth the read for you. I wonder if sitting the little chick in a ramekin dish would be good for you to try. It really helps the legs go into the proper position with the weight of the chick, this only works for a few days when they are not so active. After that they just scramble out. Keep us posted!

XOX Monika

#5 2012-03-14 16:04:19

choctawgal
Website

Thank you, Ladies!!  :thanks:  That was just the confirmation I needed.

I saw the toe hobble sticky at the front of the section and found it really informative and useful!

Great Idea about the ramekin, Monika!  I think I'll go right into the kitchen and get that done.  I may even look for a scotch tape roll, since this little chick is sooo tiny!  However, in true Bantam fashion, it is the spunkiest one of the three... unless she wants a cuddle, then she tries REALLY hard to get under that little EE chick!  :funny:

I'll keep you updated as to how it goes!

Thank you again sooo much!  :thumbsup:

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

Adverts

Board footer