Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-06 16:07:44

Susan
Administrator

I'm so excited!!

I just got off the phone with a vet from CFIA. She was very helpful, although it was just a quick call for now.  She's faxing me the info on import/export regulations between Canada and the States for hatching eggs......and for import from SPAIN!! She said there shouldn't be a problem importing directly from there!! I let you know more as I find out. :happycrowd" Now lets line up some people willing to export...oh Lys....:hi:

2011-07-06 16:07:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-06 17:01:58

Young Heritage

Re: I'm so excited!!

Since Spain is considered "END" Free it should be easy to export from Spain to the US or Canada. It just may cost a bit to get the certified government vet in Spain to verify the originating flock is disease free and has been for 90 days. After this is done then there is the cost of the shipping from Spain to the US or Canada. In the US you will also need to get an import form completed. Not sure for Canada but I would imagine it is similar.

I think the biggest hurdle to get over will be finding a breeder in Spain willing to do the Vet stuff and then ship internationally. I have sent a few emails to breeders in Spain but have gotten no reply. Not sure if the language barrier is the problem or not? I only speak English and not very good at it either, lol

I am hoping that Lys may be able to help in finding some Breeders in Spain and bridging the language barrier.....=D

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#3 2011-07-06 21:53:40

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:happycrowd"  How exciting and encouraging!  Susan that is a very encouraging start.  We are still good for splitting import costs.  I know it is risky with having to get the eggs!  Oh I am excited too :jumping:

#4 2011-07-06 22:25:24

Susan
Administrator

Ah rats bit of a false alarm. Sorry guys. Spain is out. She made a mistake. We'll have to go with one of the other european countries. :(

#5 2011-07-06 23:13:32

Susan
Administrator

It looks like France, the UK, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands are all approved for import. France looks to be the easiest as it is closest to Spain and has the least restrictions. The UK is an option, but has more restrictions because it has foot and mouth disease. Parlez vous francais anyone?? The flock will have to actually reside the country of export as well. Even once the eggs hatch, there will be continuing quarantine and further testing for about 6 weeks I believe, then we will need written permission from CFIA to allow movement of the birds.  And there are more questions I have yet to ask - things like what if an egg breaks in transit -are the all condemned?destroyed? Wood can"t be used as a packing material and I certainly don't want them shipped in cardboard ... I know - now I am getting ahead of myself - but if this going to happen,I want to know all of the possible problems or scenarios we will face. :Crazy:

#6 2011-07-06 23:34:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:banginghead: Aww shame about Spain.  I think we need some language courses!  :thumbs:

#7 2011-07-07 00:06:39

Young Heritage

From what I have read importing from Spain to the USA is not so bad. Costly but not so bad otherwise.  http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export … eggs.shtml

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#8 2011-07-07 01:43:03

poplar girl
Administrator

It's great that you are looking into this Susan! I am not surprised we can't import from Spain to Canada...I remember someone saying that. But from a near-by country like France makes sense. It does sound like there is a huge amount of red tape though!!

For our US neighbours maybe Spain is still an option. Then from the US to Canada a generation later perhaps!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2011-07-07 01:59:39

Young Heritage

poplar girl wrote:

For our US neighbours maybe Spain is still an option. Then from the US to Canada a generation later perhaps!

I have only been reading online. I am now going to start the actual process and see what turns up. My biggest hurdle "I think" will be finding a breeder in Spain willing to do the paperwork and Government Vet checks and tests. Hoping to get some help with this. Once this can be arranged "and paid for :)" Just have to do the import form " my responsibility" then ship the eggs. Unless some government official tells me I have to do something else....If all this can take place I would definitely go through whatever is needed "which isn't much" to ship to Canada.:happycrowd"

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#10 2011-07-07 12:36:21

gubi
Website

Have you ever contacted Eric on how he imported the EO's?  He might be able to help?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2011-07-07 13:28:54

Susan
Administrator

Lol good point gubi!  Will do

#12 2011-07-07 14:06:55

Young Heritage

If you don't mind could you let us know what he said please? Also if he still has the contact info for the breeder they came from?

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#13 2011-07-07 14:20:56

Susan
Administrator

Absolutely Young Heritage :)

#14 2011-07-07 16:41:06

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Sorry you can't get them from spain but at least there are other possiblities.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#15 2011-07-10 14:11:56

Susan
Administrator

Ok, well the old contacts are no longer available, so what I'm thinking is we start looking for breeders in France. That will likely be the easiest country to try to import birds from. Start hunting everyone!

#16 2011-07-10 14:15:00

poplar girl
Administrator

Or maybe Germany Susan? I am visiting southern Germany in October. From Frankfurt south we will be traveling, the Rhine, Black Forest and Bavaria regions. We are with friends so I can't spend too much time on a chicken adventure but if we found someone I might be able to spare time to meet them and see their flock.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#17 2011-07-10 14:49:30

Susan
Administrator

Oh cool! Wonder if you could bring eggs back with you?? I wonder if they are allowed in carry on?

#18 2011-07-10 16:19:02

Flat Rock Farm

Well am sure you could take them on carry on but everything still has to get put through the x-ray machine, that would compromise fertility rate.  Anyway that's what I have been told, maybe I'm wrong. :huh:

#19 2011-07-10 20:27:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

You could talk to the possible airlines.  With the fluid restrictions, the eggs should fall into under that certain volume, but too many may put you over your allowable fluid carry on maximum.  By getting your friends and hubby to account  for some you may still be fine but the xray and dooumentation would be a must to get cleared and approved and your expectations met.  People have brought them from out west to out east in Canada, within a border, but woudl still have the  X ray thing to contend with so may be interesting to find pout how.

#20 2011-07-10 21:23:28

poplar girl
Administrator

We are flying Air Canada direct from Frankfurt to Canada (Toronto i think). Do they need to go into quarantine when they get to Canada? What would that involve?

I have no problem carrying eggs on the plane up to my liquids limit...Is it 500 ml? So about 10 eggs each?? Can't you request not to have things x-rayed?

#21 2011-07-10 22:48:45

Susan
Administrator

You'd have to get on it right away. First find a breeer willing to go through the required disease testing. Then get a permit approved through CFIA, send that to the breeder to have filled out by their vet. Those papers would have to accompany you back to Canada. You would not have to quaratine the eggs (I don't think), but they may require that you incubate and raise them for awhile in a premise without other birds and buy someone who does not contact other chickens during that time. They may need to be tested again at 6 weeks before they are cleared to move. Talk to CFIA ASAP if you are seriously considering it.

#22 2011-07-11 00:28:41

poplar girl
Administrator

Given the time of year I will be traveling I don't believe I will likely proceed with trying to import eggs. What I may try to do is find a breeder and make contact with them which there. I will also look into what quarantine and testing will be required for chicks hatched from eggs. The idea of a separate facility with no chickens to raise the chicks in may be a challenge if that is what is required. I wonder if they test your existing flock? I have no idea if my current flock would pass as disease free. I suppose it would be very good to know what diseases they actually screen for.

Spring through fall is my busy season at work as well as at home so finding time to look into this will be easier in the winter. Too bad though as transporting the eggs in person would be preferable for sure.

#23 2011-07-11 00:48:30

gubi
Website

Are there breeders of Euskal Oiloak in France or Germany?  Or would you get someone from there to import them from Spain to produce hatching eggs to send to Canada?  I tried googling for them in German and I couldn't find anything so far unless they go by a different name?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#24 2011-07-11 00:54:39

poplar girl
Administrator

I have seen pictures of barnyard chickens on German websites that look like EOs (marraduna) but I have yet to find a breeder. I do believe the flock has to reside in the country you arenimporting from so a breeder in a country that allows importation to Canada would need to be found.

#25 2011-07-11 01:29:37

Susan
Administrator

That's right PG.

Adverts

Board footer