Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-06 13:49:59

Lisa

What is the breed standard for Maradunnas?

Hello,

Newbie to EO's looking for help from those in the know! I'm looking at my juveniles, and trying to figure out what the breed standard is so I can keep the best birds (see previous comment about 7 roosters....). Could someone post a quick description of what they are supposed to look like for me?

Thanks!
Lisa

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-07-06 13:49:59

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-06 18:28:33

gubi
Website

Re: What is the breed standard for Maradunnas?

Lisa have a look at the Helpful Euskal Oiloa links there are a bunch of Spanish sites .  I use google toolbar to translate the sites for me.  With the cockerels I would make sure that he has yellow legs and a clean comb.  No side springs at the end of the comb.  I really like my rooster in my avatar.  When you look closely at him he does have two main faults.  One is the white legs and the other is the white in the tail. Most roosters will get some white in the tail as they mature in North America.  You also want a rooster that will grow fast as not to loose the production aspect of the breed.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-07-06 21:21:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Stefan is right the google toolbar is invaluable.  He has been digging up some excellent sites by using new Basque words he has learned and we can read them with the google toolbar instant translation!

These are the highlights that I translated the the Euskal Oiloak Breeders Association site which is moved or something.  This is copied from my squidoo article

"Euskal Oilo show the morphological characteristics of the European Atlantic chicken type. Chickens are a light heavyweight, simple combed chicken, toes are yellow with redder legs. They have red earlobes. The tight plumage and round feathers mean this is a hardy vigorous breed and suitable for dual purpose-meat and eggs.

Weight
Roosters about 3.6 kg (8 pounds).
Capons up to 4 kg
Adult hen 2.5 kg (5.5lbs)

This site did have detailed info http://bilbaoglocal.org/oilotegi/estandar.htm and where I got this from

Most common defects in Euskal Oiloa
--White on the Earlobe
--White feathers in wings and tail-most serious in the Black variety
--Single Comb that falls over
--Black on the top of the beak is considered a minor defect in all but the black variety. It is a minor fault and noteable in Marraduna and Silver varieties.
--Crooked toes are possible and although affect show ring performance, they say it does not affect reproduction, but we do not breed these.
--Toes not yellow-serious defect.
--Here in Canada, we have noticed Penedesenca type tendencies. Clavell combs with side springs and blue legs can appear in offspring from our small gene pool. I understand these two breeds often range together in Spain.
Euskal Oiloa Breed Type
From Eoalak Basque Breeders Association

Morphology of the rooster
--Head: Long and broad.
--Face: Smooth and bright red.
--Comb: Simple, medium size, straight and firm. Presents five to seven well-defined teeth. Bright red.
--Wattles: Long, thin and smooth, with rounded lower edge. Bright red.
--Earlobes: Medium size, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate. Bright red.
--Beak: Strong, vigorous and well curved. In varieties Gorria, Zilarra Lepasoila the upper jaw is dark brown with corn yellow on the bottom and may have dark brown spots but only in the proximal part. In the Marraduna is entirely yellow, without spots, and the Beltza is black.
--Eye:Large and oval, with light brown iris.
--Neck: Moderately long, well sprung heavy cloak, floating on his back.
--Back: Broad and fall slightly toward the tail; saddle feathers abundant, medium length.
--Chest: Broad, deep and well rounded.
--Abdomen: Fairly developed.
--Tail: Medium in size. Rectrices broad and overlapping, angled 45 degrees above horizontal. Sickles of medium length, well arched.
--Wings: Large, well-folded and tight to the body.
--Thighs: Strong and robust.
--Feet: Rather long, thick, heavy, yellowish, with four toes

Hens
Similar to rooster except the beak, which is less curved. The wattles are shorter and rounder. The earlobes are smaller, but retaining the lanceolate shape. The chest is wide but smaller than the rooster. The tail is rather small and slightly raised (35 °), with rectrices broad and overlapping. Thighs and shanks, as in the rooster, but more feminine."

#4 2011-07-10 12:53:41

Lisa

Thanks Stefan, Thanks Claire!

Off to look at my roosters.....=D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer