Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-03-07 00:36:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Methods for keeping track of pedigrees etc.

Last weekend in celebration of the firest annual EO Day I decided to start my breeding records. I started with plans to write everything out in a notebook I have. But what to record for each bird and how to show relationships etc?

So I searched to see what was out there for computer programs for tracking livestock. Couldn't find anything for my iPad but I did find Zooeasy. After playing with the demo for a few hours I purchased a license.

I think it's going to work really well for tracking my breeding birds. It allows you to customize the characteristics and measurements that you track. I have entered most of my EOs so far as well as some of the parent stock owned by others such as claires's Speckled Jim. This will allow calculation of inbreeding coefficients (by the program), comparison of characteristics as you select perspective breeding pairs, etc. And the more data you know and enter the more the program can do for you.

Here is a link to the software:
http://www.zooeasy.com/en/pedigree-soft … index.html

So what characteristics would you record for each bird? So far (going by memory, I don't have access to the program while on vacation) I have set it up to collect data on:
- comb size and how upright
- side sprigs
- feather stubs
- shank color
- dermal melanin
- broodiness (not bloodiness!! Had to fix that)
- egg production, color and quality
- feather color (amount of black or grey, mottling, etc)
- weights at 8 wks, 13 wks, age and weight at butcher, weight at 6 months and 12 months
- temperament
- health

There might be more but I can't think of what else I entered. What else would you record?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-03-07 00:36:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-03-07 20:43:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Methods for keeping track of pedigrees etc.

That sound like a good program and list. 

If you need any specifics on my birds I can always take a peek at them if it'll help!  I am sure Specky and Blondie won't be around for ever! 

I should get set up too really with all the fcators!  It's just having the time.  I did do my EO family tree for the early years of anyone needs a refresher.  It may be more of a family donut actually :whistle:

Is that broodiness? :shock:

A factor that affects the EO frost bite-coping I think may be narrowness of comb points, not really a colossal factor, but the narrower they are, the quicker they get nipped here.  A fcatir for use, but probably not relevant in Va!

Side sprigs maybe mark left, right, or both.  Might see some patterns in offspring.

Maybe skull width/shank diameter at a given age?

Behaviour in the flock may be interesting too, aggressive, calm wimpy etc as well as the human interactions you have.  One of my 2 year old hens in with Sonny Jim has been trying to breed the smallest one....so that goes on her record!!

Overall build, smooth lines, whether in proportion, though impossible to measure :chook:

Chick down colour if you have the facilities and patience to keep track.

That's it for now, have a lovely trip! :cozy:

#3 2012-03-08 00:04:40

ChestnutRidge
Website

Sounds like an awesome program, PG! :applause:

#4 2012-03-08 03:19:20

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep broodiness (not bloodiness!!) gotta hate autocorrect sometimes!

I may take you up on that offer to help with info on your birds Claire, Speckled Jim and Curley are entered. I would enter some of your hens but hard to do when group mating. I did reference your family tree (circle) to make this as well.

The rest of your suggestions are just what I was hoping for! :thanks:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer