Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-06 13:05:18

gubi
Website

conservation of livestock genetic resources in Euskadi (Basque County)

ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/006/y4924t/y4924t05.pdf

document on rare basque breeds.  Interesting facts about the Euskal Oiloa, 200 eggs of 61g average and cockerels should way 2kg in 13 weeks under farm condition.  One Euskal Oilao breed is already extinct the Llodiana (Blond from Araba).  Upon googleing it I believe Claire's Blodie is a Llodiana!!!!

http://www.granjaonline.es/viewtopic.ph … dc2b3d291f
This thread talks about the Llodiana at a Show and has a link to a picture of which the hen looks exactly like our blondies!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2011-07-06 13:05:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-06 13:37:57

Susan
Administrator

Re: conservation of livestock genetic resources in Euskadi (Basque County)

Seriously?? Maybe that is why we are seeing such variation in the hen colouration?? Wouldn't that be something?? What do the roos look like? (- haven't had a chance to open the link)

#3 2011-07-06 18:57:26

gubi
Website

pictures taken from the above thread about the Llodiana
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3031/llodiana1.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/337/llodiana2.jpg
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6969/llodiana3.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4648/llodiana4.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8679/llodiana5.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7221/cartellt.jpg
I think our Euskal Oiloak are most likely mixes of Maraduna, Gorria, Zillara and Llodiana by the colour variations we are getting.  It may be possible for someone that is really good a breeding to be able to get all 4 colours separated out?

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2011-07-06 19:09:25

Young Heritage

I think with time and a lot of work you could separate the colors out. So I am going to assume that when you say they are extinct that the pure bloodlines are extinct, correct?  If that is the case what are the pictures of? Mixes of EOs with this variety of genetics in them?

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#5 2011-07-06 19:22:40

gubi
Website

http://www.deia.com/2011/01/30/bizkaia/ … tana=Fotos
Maybe someone had a few left that the government didn't know about.  At one point the Chantecler was though to be extinct too.

#6 2011-07-06 19:30:03

Young Heritage

I would imagine that some of the North American EOs would have some of this variety in them if there have been EOs in North America for very long. Anyone know how long EOs have been in North America? Also when did they become extinct? I am at work and do not have the Google toolbar to translate these links. I will read them tonight when I get home.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#7 2011-07-06 21:09:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

OMG you are right Stefan! I though she was just faded =D  She was darker when young, but had been this colour most of her life!  She has a tiny bit more black, most of those don't have the columbian black in the hackles, but a couple do!  They are lovely and look so nosy looking out the cage!  I was thinking I bet we could Gorria out of those ginger and black pullets you like Stefan!  :chook:

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/latermidjune192.jpg

#8 2011-09-04 22:32:33

3riverschick
Website

gubi wrote:

http://www.deia.com/2011/01/30/bizkaia/ … tana=Fotos
Maybe someone had a few left that the government didn't know about.  At one point the Chantecler was though to be extinct too.

----------------------
This Llodiana was winning big at major poultry expositions in the middle 1920's. (23thru 26ish).  Recently one of the  Spanish nobility has a son who is a poultry expert. This son gathered  chickens which looked like Llodiana should  from various farms in Basque/Spain. Then he bred them to a pure-breeding state to bring back Llodiana. Unveiled them     at this summer's Fair in Basque.
On a discussion board, the EO folk talk about adding Llodiana as the 6th EO color variety. In an article on the Fair, thewriter  discusses the Llodiana. Then they discuss the EO's. Like they are two separate entries.  I cannot find any reference to Llodiana being a "lost" or  "resurrected" EO color variety. Maybe I just haven't looked deep enough. Maybe we should ask Lys from Basque?

:EO:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the Google translated article on the 2011 Basque Fair, located at  http://tinyurl.com/3umnlb5  :

LAUDIO. The main novelty of the fair this year was the exhibition of the San Blas avicultura that was attended by the presence of a ten Live and almost thirty chickens. And throughout the exhibition stressed, above all, four copies of the cage that Alber female and a male of the species or blonde hen llodiana Alava, a breed virtually unknown by the public at large and that is being retrieved from four years ago by a few avicultores .

"We have come to see this part of the Fairground my son because I wanted to see the chickens and I ha sorprendido much of this native species. No the man had ever seen and I had not even heard of it. He has been a discovery," said Robert. It was the general feeling of most of the public to appreciate this unique detuvo a sample and that, in large part, to highlight coincidía in its "great beauty, colorful and porte". Much attention to another aspect of that name was the size of their eggs, something over which we are accustomed to see.

If unknown to the existence of this race, much more than the origin of his upbringing in the EA, which dates back to the youth of Juan Manuel de Urquijo, Marques de Urquijo and the fourth with just 25 years it was regarded as an expert avicultor. One of its facilities is the most important poultry encontraba en el Palacio de Lamuza, where his family passed the holidays. And also during the summer when Juan Manuel aprovechaba to travel to villages in the area looking for the hens that presented a good aptitude and morphology that permitieran utilizarlas as good breeding.

After a period succeeded to obtain copies of the detailed selection of high quality llodiana hen, a breed of bird of medium size, yellow, and harboring of tarsos simple and that destacaba by the color of plumaje Rubio-vulture.

The next step is expansion given by the Marques de Urquijo was distributed among the peasants of the region with lots of chicks in order to promote the implementation of the species. And in large part, also called the won and that the blonde was present at several events of Alava prestige of his time, as the exhibition avicultura de Madrid 1923, the National Contest of 1926 or the fifth of the cattle of the World Exhibition held Avicultura in Rome in 1933.

The sample also was attended by a nutrida Poultry copies of the representation of a chicken, a native breed of birds vasca commissioning and meat that can be put between 209 and 220 eggs a year. In another small fold in three hallaban Ocasek of The Goose that HIGHLIGHT by its color strip grisáceo with dark and clear.

Last edited by 3riverschick (2011-09-04 22:39:48)

Karen Tewart
"The present is best served when we remember the past."

#9 2011-09-04 23:08:22

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

This is very interesting that ours are not pure and that we have a posslibilitie of creating the other colors without having to import them but just selective breeding.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#10 2011-09-04 23:31:34

ipf

The thing is, you can select and breed to get the colours perfect, but there are many thousands of genes in the chicken genome, and just because a bird looks like an "x", doesn't mean it has the other characteristics (temperament, productivity, etc.) of an "x".

#11 2011-09-05 00:57:12

poplar girl
Administrator

Very good point ipf. I find sometimes traits like body shape, size, etc. are much more difficult to "see".

Build the barn before you paint it.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2011-09-05 01:38:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know what you mean Poplar, we moved ours tonight back to the main coop and 3 out of 4 hens were heavy!  I can see their shape better in photos than in person, it's easier to recognize.  Temperament is an easy one though!!

#13 2011-09-05 02:22:22

ipf

Heavy is good, and perhaps a reasonably good indicator of fitness (and un-dangerous inbreeding levels).

#14 2012-01-19 03:34:23

gubi
Website

#15 2012-01-20 03:01:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I need to download the google tool bar for this little netbook so I can read that.  The birds look delicious, alive and ranging and in the pot! :eat:

Thanks for posting that Stefan.

Adverts

Board footer