Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#51 2012-03-04 18:04:53

Susan
Administrator

Re: Topic 3: Euskal oiloa genetics

Wow I've never seen that, thanks ipf!

2012-03-04 18:04:53

AdBot
Advertisements

#52 2012-03-04 22:32:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

And how is the mo allele playing into all of this? Like I said before, Roy said Sparkle's tail could be a result of mo, but also niacin deficiency. I seem to have a lot of mottling in my birds though and wonder how best to get rid of it ( even though I love the milles fleur type hens :) )

I am not going to suggest that Dr. Crawford is wrong but based on lack of white in the black horse ranch line roosters eating the same food I would say it is probably not nutritional. It could be the mo allele i suppose, i had never heard that before but it seems possible. The reason it seem a little unlikely to me though is because the white spot on all other mottled feathers is at the tip while the tail feathers are generally white at the base or the whole feather is white. This is the opposite of the effect of mo.

My theory is the white in the tail is also partially due to speed of growth of the feathers. I read that the feathers growing in very fast can cause white. I do think it is genetic but related to how fast the tail feathers grow. Notice the BHR birds have no white in their tails but also that their tail feathers are shorter thus probably grow slower. I also read the white is relatively easy to get rid of. Guess we'll see!

Seeing your birds Susan I can see LOTS of black and lots of Mille fleur (mo). Mostly thanks to Sparkle and Sequin I think. I am not certain what is causing the black yet. Might need to get brave and join the forum ipf suggested at some point soon. I have read lots of great info on their before but I want to gain enough basic understanding to avoid embarrassing myself before starting to post questions.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#53 2012-03-04 22:41:12

Susan
Administrator

Hey, I probably sound like an idiot daily, but I keep asking the questions :)

#54 2012-03-23 01:57:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay time to add a few more traits to the list.

Single comb is the result of two different genes. The rececive allele for no pea comb p+/p+ and the recessive allele for no rose comb r+/r+ result Ina single comb. Both are autosomal traits. The locus for pea comb is located on Chromosome 1, not sure the location of the locus for rose comb.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#55 2012-03-23 02:05:07

poplar girl
Administrator

Feathered neck. na+/na+ will result in a feathered neck. This is a recesive autosomal trait located on chromosome 3.

4 toes. po+/po+ will result in 4 toes. This is a recessive autosomal trait located on chromosome 2.

#56 2012-03-25 14:44:21

Susan
Administrator

More, more!.... Please PG :)

#57 2012-04-13 02:44:47

poplar girl
Administrator

Updated recap, the marraduna Euskal oiloa genetic make-up as discussed so far:

Yellow skin/shanks. w/w. autosomal trait. Microchromosome 24

Wheaten base for the e-series alleles. eWh/eWh. autosomal trait. Chromosome 11.

Columbian restriction. Co/Co. Incompletely dominant autosomal trait.

Barring. B/B or B/-. Sex linked trait. Z chromosome. 13.7 map units from the locus for dermal melanin. A modifier (masks the expression) of dermal melanin.

Single comb. No pea comb, p+/p+ and no rose comb, r+/r+. Recessive autosomal traits. Pea comb trait located on Chromosome 1.

Inhibitor of melanin disposition in the leg. Id/Id or Id/-. Sex linked trait. Z chromosome. 13.7 map units from the locus for barring.

Feathered neck. na+/na+. Feathered neck. Recessive autosomal trait.

Colored (vs. autosomal white). C+/C+. Absence of recessive white. Dominant autosomal trait.

Four toes. po/po. Recessive autosomal trail located on chromosome 2.

Rapid feathering. k+/k+ or k+/-. Sex linked trait. Z chromosome.

Not mottled. Mo+/Mo+. autosomal trait.

Not patterned. pg+/pg+.

Lack of dark brown columbian restriction. db+/db+.

Gold for the s-series allele. s+/s+ or s+/-. Sex linked, located on the Z chromosome.

#58 2012-04-13 02:55:32

Susan
Administrator

Tell me about the rapid feathering.  Does k+ mean slow feathering?

#59 2012-04-13 03:03:38

poplar girl
Administrator

No, k+ is the rapid feather allele that EOs have. This allele is why EOs aren't a breed you can feather sex. slow feathering allele is K.

#60 2012-04-13 03:32:24

Susan
Administrator

So as far as Apollo and Zeus  and Adonis feathering slower with the shorter tails, what does that mean?

#61 2012-04-13 12:18:13

poplar girl
Administrator

I hadn't thought of it from that angle. I do think the black horse ranch boys tails are a bit slower to grow in, that is my theory as to why they develop very little white in their tails, but i am not sure that is the k allele at work. I have never seen evidence that you can tell males from females using the wing feathers of the EO including the BHR babies but this year will look again.

I will do a bit of research but there may be no simple answer.

#62 2012-04-23 04:02:13

jonesfamily

Is anyone else seeing evidence of a link between yellow shank coloration and a greater incidence of crooked toes/joint problems? In our first batch of 15 hatchlings, now approx. 2 months old, nearly all of the yellow shanked birds have joint issues, while none of the white/blue shanked birds have the same problems.

Adverts

Board footer