Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-05 23:18:52

ChestnutRidge
Website

Greetings from Augusta County, Virginia!

Hello!  I am new to chickens and hatched two batches of eggs this spring to begin my flock.  I currently have 17 birds, 10 of them cockerels: 5 Easter Eggers, 5 Silver Ameraucanas, 3 Speckled Sussex, 3 Welsummer, and 1 Wheaton Ameraucana.  (The proportions reflect what actually hatched more than my personal preferences. ;) )  I do not currently have any Euskal, but I will most likely be starting with them this coming spring.  I was looking for a dual-purpose bird which is friendly.  EOs are also lovely, intelligent, and lay a nice, large egg!  My neighbors believe that brown eggs are the best and are healthiest and have never heard of blue or green eggs, so if I'll be selling or bartering, I'll need more brown egg layers.  While this is an afterthought, I am pleased that EOs lay a brown egg.  I look forward to learning about EOs in the coming months before I am able to begin hatching again!
:hi:

2011-07-05 23:18:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-06 00:06:12

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Greetings from Augusta County, Virginia!

:welcome: to the site, well am sure someone on this site will be able to get you set up with some EO's in the future. :EO:
Paula

#3 2011-07-06 00:35:43

Susan
Administrator

Welcome Chestnut Ridge!! I'm sure you'll find they are everything you are hoping for and more! Right now I am looking into what it takes to export to the States, so that by the time breeding season roles around again, I'll be ready. You have some great breeds already and if you're looking at selling eating, I find the blue to be very popular- especially with kids. I always make sure there are enough in each dozen for the kids in each family or they fight over them :)

#4 2011-07-06 01:00:04

poplar girl
Administrator

Welcome ChestnutRidge!

I prefer a rainbow egg basket personally. I line them up two by two: white, light brown, blue, dark brown and alternate colors as I go. But if the neighbors like brown eggs it makes sense to make up a special carton for them!

I think you will really like the EOs. I find they are quite a forward chicken, not reluctant at all to approach. My dorking are much more polite. I love that there are breeds (and individuals) chickens with distinct personalities!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-07-06 01:56:00

gubi
Website

Welcome to the EO site!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2011-07-06 04:14:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hi Chestnut Ridge.  :welcome:  Funny, I think the prettiest chickens I have are the Wheaten Ameraucanas!  You'll love the big eggs, pale or darker brown a big brown egg will make your neighbours smile =D  I love the rainbow mix of eggs, but only the odd person round here is totally wierded out by the green eggs!  Paula I didn't realize you had wheaten Marans, another pretty bird!

One think we have noticed with shipped and eggs collected in person as they seem to hatch quite well compared to some breeds so maybe you'll have better luck and will get 3/4 or more pullets!  Looking forward to answering questions and making you drool with lots of nice pictures!  :EO:

#7 2011-07-06 17:18:36

Flat Rock Farm

Claire:
Yes got the French Wheaton Marans from the" chicken addict" Brigette (giddi-up) she is a hoot.  They are still babies but I am looking forward to those nice dark eggs.  Have two pullets and two roos would like to get another hen or two...... anyone????
Paula

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-07-06 17:19:22)

#8 2011-07-06 21:32:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yep, she got the bug bad......mostly my fault :whistle:  I lost her email, when my computer crashed, she had Euskal Oiloas from me last year as well I think so she may be interested to learn more!  I want wheatens marans again (when I am allowed!), they were so pretty, and nice docile friendly birds.  Tickety Boo in Mount forest got mine last winter, and she was looking for more eggs in the spring, Cjones in Quebec may have them too.

#9 2011-07-07 16:44:00

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:welcome: have a good thime here.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#10 2011-07-07 19:04:04

ChestnutRidge
Website

Thanks, everyone!  I'll see how the neighbors respond to the colored eggs in time; when I mention them, they just look unsure and go back to talking about what they know. :)  Maybe I'll convert them.  ;)

The Wheatons certainly are pretty, but out of 8 eggs, I only had one hatch and it is a (so far) clean-faced boy!  Still, I bet he'll be a looker and find a good home.  I really like the look of the Silver Am pullets, but I think the EO pullets AND roos are beautiful, especially the roos.  I look forward to one day having one of those handsome fellows strutting around my hollow. :love:

#11 2011-07-08 01:25:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Last year we got 5 colours of Ameraucana from John Blehm in Michigan, and the silvers were the flightiest by far, like batty. The Wheaten are total sweethearts, blacks the next most tame, then lavender and buff.   We kept the lavenders and wheatens even when downsizing.  If you like silver colour and good meat the Dorkings are nice and lay a white egg with actually looks great in with the greens and chocolates!  You're right, both sexes of the Marradunas are gorgeous! :EO:

#12 2011-07-09 16:18:33

ChestnutRidge
Website

Not really of any importance, but as I was turning on my computer today, I was looking at my "wallpaper" which is all pictures of Spain because I had been feeling nostalgic about a month ago.  When I was in college, I actually went to Spain for a month with a group of 4 students and our professor.  We traveled around for about three weeks, which included Barcelona and only a bit of Basque country, and then stayed in Valencia for a week with host families while we studied at their university.  I went on the trip because it was an opportunity to travel, but I sort of fell in love with it there and have always wanted to go back.  Of course, this was... 11 years ago.  My husband is a blues musician, and sometimes I bug him to get a band together that would tour Europe so that I could go back. :)  From what I recall, they love American blues in Spanish bars.  Anyway, I just was looking at my computer background and thinking about all of this when I thought of the Euskals and sort of put two and two together.  Just thought I'd share my thoughts. I'm suspecting that this might be part of my fascination. ;)

#13 2011-07-09 16:34:00

Island Girl

:hi: ChestnutRidge Its kinda neat when you can trace back certain things about yourself and 'why' we do the things we do. Not that being addicted to chickens needs a reason ;)

XOX Monika

#14 2011-07-10 04:23:13

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Cool story.  Funny how things percolate over years before we realize things, then it takes one small thing one day and we put it all together and make the big connection :Crazy:

Chestnut ridge, it sounds like another trip to the Basque country is in order for you!  I have never been but after watching those videos that Lys posted, they country had all the things like love, the mountains and rugged coastline. The coastline reminds me of Cornwall, England, one of the favourite parts of my country.

#15 2011-07-11 01:30:59

ChestnutRidge
Website

Oh, I wish!  Beautiful country.  Maybe one day. =D Okay, I'm going to have to run back over to BYC and watch that movie... :)
ETA: Oh!  I found it the link over here as well.  Of course!  Very nice.  Pretty birds. :love:

Last edited by ChestnutRidge (2011-07-11 01:41:37)

Adverts

Board footer