Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-25 04:10:16

SherrieT

Future EO hatcher

Hello,
I'm Sherrie. I live in Tucson Arizona, USA.
My chicken situation is a little strange. A co-worker lives on a large property and has had hatchery chickens for eggs. We (and another co-worker) started talking and this is what has come out of it:
We all want to get away from processed food. The thought of battery hens and the modern meat chicken industry just sickens us. Sooooooo....we are working together to establish a dual purpose flock. I previously had a large flock in Washington so I am the one who has been choosing the breeds to go with.
The fact that I love to hatch chicks and research breeds is just a plus!!!

My first test batch was Trader Joes fertile eggs (got 4 white leghorns out of it!!!), BC Marans ( 2 live chicks out of 14 eggs, REALLY????) and 4 of the EE'ers from her flock.

I currently have 9 (possibly 10) Langshans, 10 Swedish Flower Hens and 7 EE'ers growing in the incubator right now. We have decided that we want to concentrate on endangered, homestead breeds (plus we each get a breed that we just plain old love).

What could be more perfect for this than EO's???

I'm in on the Easter hatch on BYC's and have arranged for more BC Marans (my hope springs eternal), real Araucanas ( we know they aren't classic DP but they are such eye candy), B/B/S Orps (eye candy plus DP). And I am trying to figure out how many EO's I can squeeze into my 1588. A dozen. Two dozen (stretching it I know).

I know that I will have some non-starters and early deaths so I'm leaning towards 2 dozen of the EO's. Have to make a decision quick and get back to the breeder.

Anyway, that's my story.

HELLO !!!!

2012-02-25 04:10:16

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-25 11:15:53

Young Heritage

Re: Future EO hatcher

:welcome:   Glad you made it :EO:

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#3 2012-02-25 11:23:07

Flat Rock Farm

:welcome: Well you will not be sorry that you added the EO's to your list :EO:  I see you mentioned that you have Swedish Flower Hens :love: haven't been able to find anyone this side of the boarder that has them.
Enjoy the forum :thumbsup:

#4 2012-02-25 12:47:20

Lindy Lou

:hi: and :welcome: I hope you enjoy the forum and I'm sure you'll enjoy having EO's.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-02-25 13:15:35

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: SherrieT! I think you will love and adore the EOs. They have so many traits that make them a true "homestead" breed! Smart, friendly, vigorous, good egg production, large enough to process for meat, beautiful and, well, the list goes on!

The Swedish flower hens are beautiful birds :love: I am jealous!

I hope your Easter hatch goes well. If it were me I would go ahead and order more EO eggs :doI?:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-02-25 14:05:51

Maggiesdad

:welcome: SherrieT! And A big round of :applause: :applause: :applause: for ChestnutRidge for pointing her this way! :EO:

I, total chicken noob here, set 50 eggs from Skyline with a similar mindset to yours. That was in Nov and Dec. All eggs were fertile, and I wound up with 24 chicks. Others have reported much higher hatch rates with their Marraduna eggs from James - whether it was rough handling during shipping or my inexperience with incubation, or both... I dunno.

But I do know I currently have 11 cockerels and 11 pullets of the EO variety that I just :love: . They are such characters!

My idea is get as many as you can afford and have room for, and cross your fingers for a great breeding trio out of the batch.

Again, welcome to the EO Forum - it's great to have you here!
Glen

#7 2012-02-25 14:31:41

Lisa

SherrieT, :welcome: to the forum! =D

Afraid you won't find an unbiased crowd here regarding chicken choices - :EO:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#8 2012-02-25 14:36:06

Susan
Administrator

Welcome SherrieT! Nice choice in breeds :)

#9 2012-02-25 14:37:25

gubi
Website

Welcome to the EO forum.  I've had over 80 eggs in a hovabator before but a lot of them were silkies.  EO eggs take up a lot more room.  I have also stacked some on top of the others to fit a few more eggs.  I hand turn and rotate eggs around in the incubator in a zig zag pattern.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/200662_10150113823331227_556756226_7050222_5797712_n.jpg  I added the next days production of my silkies on to of that!  The big eggs are EO's and the 4 light blues are Wheaten Ameraucanas both from Skeffling and the rest are silkie eggs from my flock.

Last edited by gubi (2012-02-25 14:38:42)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2012-02-25 16:43:02

Amblecroft
Website

Welcome SherrieT.  I hope you enjoy this forum and your upcoming chicks!

Gubi, I don't know how you keep track of turning them :-))))

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#11 2012-02-25 17:07:23

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:welcome:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#12 2012-02-25 17:58:09

NaturesPace
Website

Welcome! James packages and ships eggs like no other. All my eggs from him have been fertile. My first hatch was low, but that was my fault.  I have 2 lovely little EOs and another 12 in the bator. I'm also hatching BBS orpingtons, olive eggers, Easter eggers and welsumers. They are due on March 3rd!

Glad you are on the EO train!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#13 2012-02-25 20:23:05

gubi
Website

amblecroft I take out 4-6 eggs depending how full the incubator is and then roll 2 rows of eggs down then roll 4 eggs over to the first two rows.  Roll the rest of the row up, roll 4 eggs across, repeat until you are at the other corner and put the eggs that I took out back in.  This does 2 things.  It is much easier to roll a whole row then individually turn each egg plus it gets the eggs into a different location every day which I think helps in a still air hovabator.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#14 2012-02-25 21:19:17

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hey Welcome Sherri!  I really hope you enjoy the site, ask any questions you like its a great group here!  I think the EO's attract great people!

Very nice breed selection, you won't regret the EOs!  And the Orps! Talk about laid back even the roos til there's a threat then they won't shut up!!

I am seriously thinking about making some of my own EE and olive eggers this year.  I have a wheaten Ameraucana roo in with some partridge chanteclers, my black sumatras and some wheaten Amer hens.  I'd really like to mix some EOs with my lavender Ameraucanas! And even black penedesencas with my lavenders... I could end up with  lot of chicks! :doI?: 

I hope your hatch does well, it is exciting.  I have mostly dual purpose ('cept my Sumatras and D'Uccles those I keep for their character and occasion eggs) and having your own meat and eggs is great, specially when you know you give them a great life.  :eat:

#15 2012-02-27 00:50:01

SherrieT

Well I'm going to have to take lessons from you. I ordered two dozen from James !!
So that will make it 66 eggs in the bator. And that's only if I don't find any turkey eggs.:lol:

gubi wrote:

Welcome to the EO forum.  I've had over 80 eggs in a hovabator before but a lot of them were silkies.  EO eggs take up a lot more room.  I have also stacked some on top of the others to fit a few more eggs.  I hand turn and rotate eggs around in the incubator in a zig zag pattern.
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- … 7712_n.jpg  I added the next days production of my silkies on to of that!  The big eggs are EO's and the 4 light blues are Wheaten Ameraucanas both from Skeffling and the rest are silkie eggs from my flock.

#16 2012-02-27 01:05:05

ChestnutRidge
Website

I'm so glad to see you over here, Sherri!  Your plan with your friends sounds awesome.  That's a great group project, and I love your breed selections!  If I had more room, I would definitely want those pretty Swedish Flower Hens, too! 

And as far as the number of eggs you can fit in your incubator, have you seen.....

Incubator Tetris? =D
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/easter-tetris-contest

:welcome:  :EO:

#17 2012-02-27 01:24:31

SherrieT

Thank you so much! I'd heard about that but haven't actually seen it.
Wow.
Looks like there would be room for the turkey's if I can find some

ChestnutRidge wrote:

I'm so glad to see you over here, Sherri!  Your plan with your friends sounds awesome.  That's a great group project, and I love your breed selections!  If I had more room, I would definitely want those pretty Swedish Flower Hens, too! 

And as far as the number of eggs you can fit in your incubator, have you seen.....

Incubator Tetris? =D
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/easter-tetris-contest

:welcome:  :EO:

Adverts

Board footer