Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-24 22:33:20

Susan
Administrator

I'm Meeting With Dr. Crawford on March 3!

Woo Hoo! I have meeting set up with Dr. Crawford on March 3!  So excited!

2012-02-24 22:33:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-24 22:44:23

Flat Rock Farm

Re: I'm Meeting With Dr. Crawford on March 3!

Sorry I am ignorant :oops:  Who is Dr. Crawford :huh:  :please: enlighten me.

#3 2012-02-24 23:02:13

poplar girl
Administrator

That's amazing news Susan! Take some picture of our EOs with you! And maybe the draft SOP.

I will let Susan explain who Dr. Crawford is...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-02-24 23:09:54

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:congrats: yep I think I will let Susan explain as well.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#5 2012-02-24 23:13:24

Susan
Administrator

Dr. Crawford is a retired poultry genetics prof from the Uof S. He developed the Ridley Bronze turkey, saved the Hungarian Yellows from the brink of extinction and wrote a poultry genetics "bible" (to name a few things! :) :) :) He could help us immensely with some of our questions

#6 2012-02-24 23:38:43

ChestnutRidge
Website

That's amazing, Susan.  You will have to debrief us all afterwards!  What a resource.  I can't even fathom all of the information and experience he must have tucked away in his mind.

#7 2012-02-25 00:28:08

Susan
Administrator

Can you imagine his library?? We are meeting at his house and I hope to go through some of his books with him. I feel like a puppy right now, all wiggly excited! Apparently he may be amenable to meeting a few times!

#8 2012-02-25 00:39:33

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

You lucky duck you.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall during that meeting.  I wonder how disappointed he is with what has happened to the Ridley Bronze.  I wonder where one could buy his book?

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#9 2012-02-25 00:45:36

Lindy Lou

Way to do Susan. Pick his brain as much as you possibly can. You must be very excited.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#10 2012-02-25 01:28:27

Flat Rock Farm

Well thank you for filling me in on who he is.  Wow what a great opportunity I would be very excited as well.  Well get as much info from him as you can as sounds like he is very knowledgeable :wise:

#11 2012-02-25 01:48:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Martin Grove Farm wrote:

You lucky duck you.  I wish I could be a fly on the wall during that meeting.

Me too.  Take some photos of the EOs and maybe some nice big fresh eggs and see if you can hook him Susan! :doI?:  How wonderful.  I have a feeling he is going to enjoy it as much as you are! 

Get him to tell you how they did it with the Hungarian yellows, because he will love telling you and you will learn a ton that maybe will help us.  Good for you Susan.  :snowman:  Have fun, we'll be having Breakfast at the Crackerbarrel then! :eat:

#12 2012-02-25 02:31:29

Island Girl

Susan wrote:

Can you imagine his library?? We are meeting at his house and I hope to go through some of his books with him. I feel like a puppy right now, all wiggly excited! Apparently he may be amenable to meeting a few times!

At his house, you lucky girl ... he must think a lot of you to have you over to 'chat chicken'. I can't think of a better person to go! We are rooting for you Susan!

XOX Monika

#13 2012-02-25 02:36:39

Susan
Administrator

Could I suggest a "mini topic" for our genetics group? I want to go prepared.  Are there genes other than the EO barring gene that we know of specific to the EOs? What is the EO barring gene's designation?  What chromosomes does it appear on?  Etc etc.

#14 2012-02-25 04:45:57

pops coops
Website

Roy and I used to talk chicken years ago and parrot and color mutations, he is a fantastic man and has so much to offer,  you will get so much from him Susan.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#15 2012-02-25 13:07:50

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

Could I suggest a "mini topic" for our genetics group? I want to go prepared.  Are there genes other than the EO barring gene that we know of specific to the EOs? What is the EO barring gene's designation?  What chromosomes does it appear on?  Etc etc.

I would suspect Dr. Crawford will want to concentrate on the type of the EO just as much or more than the color etc. When i was talking to the APA judge last weekend a few pictures answered a lot of questions for me. And the text of the general Standard Of Perfection helped answer a lot of other type questions she had. Dr. Crawford might have some good information on what to watch for to retain and improve type.

That said it could be fun to spend a week talking general EO genetics. So I will post Topic 3 of the genetics study group as such if everyone is okay with that?  We will try to spell out what we know of the genetic recipe of the EO. ChestnutRidge has done some great preliminary research into this. And I have my new copy of the Chicken Color Genetics The Basics book that I haven't really dived into yet.

I hope you will talk about breeding strategies Susan. If the opportunity seems right i would really like to know:
1. How many birds one would need in a closed flock. That answer might depend on how closely related the birds you start with are though. Number of males and females.
2. What to watch for in terms of inbreeding problems. What to do if they do start to occur.
3. Whether pair matings of two birds that look like they will complement each other is better than small group matings (a roo with say 5 hens). Or is it best to do large group matings similar to your approach so far.
4. What traits to look for such that birds should NOT be bred ever (culls).
5. Suggestions for record keeping. For example this year I plan to pair mate. What information on my parent birds should I record. What info on the offspring should I record. What about in a group mating system like yours?
6. The benefits of bringing in new blood from Europe.

Can you take a couple chickens along :P?? Maybe Dr. Crawford would like to join our forum? Okay now I am just getting :Crazy: I know but a girl can dream.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#16 2012-02-25 13:16:03

Lindy Lou

Keep on dreaming Poplar girl cos sometimes dreams do come true :wise:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#17 2012-02-25 13:30:44

Maggiesdad

This is just awesome! I move that March 3rd henceforth be known as Euskal Oiloa Day in Canada and the United States!  =D

Seriously, it really is cool to see what a few dedicated folks can do.  :applause:

#18 2012-02-25 13:35:15

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

This is just awesome! I move that March 3rd henceforth be known as Euskal Oiloa Day in Canada and the United States!  =D

Seriously, it really is cool to see what a few dedicated folks can do.  :applause:

Oh I like that MD! March 3rd Euskal oiloa Day :cheer: that almost deserves a new thread doesn't it?

#19 2012-02-25 13:51:18

Lindy Lou

Everyone can Post what they did on March 3rd our official Euskal Oiloa day. I know what I'll be doing. :whistle:

#20 2012-02-25 14:07:40

poplar girl
Administrator

I just signed up at this website to try to get a copy of Dr. Crawfords book.
http://www.abebooks.com/

#21 2012-02-25 14:25:05

Susan
Administrator

I love it! The support, the info and the idea of March 3 as EO day!!! Once again, thanks to an amazing group!

#22 2012-02-25 16:49:20

Amblecroft
Website

I'm was reading the Genetiques page and it is a great listing.  I was wondering though if their character shouldn't also be given consideration, genetically, as that is one of their outstanding, attractive features.  As a dog breeder I give a lot of consideration to personality traits and instinct attributes when choosing mates.  No point in breeding perfect SOP birds that are nasty or flighty.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#23 2012-02-25 16:57:27

Susan
Administrator

You bet Amblecroft, and in fact, that is one of the most important criteria I look for in my birds :) gotta love friendly!

#24 2012-02-25 21:21:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I agree.  I knew the EOs were special when I sent them to Prairie Chick and Barney, and Stefan, and they said the chicks they hatched from the eggs were friendly.  I wasn't sure if it was just us and our handling of them up to then! :EO:

#25 2012-02-25 23:26:18

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

I love it, yes a great idea to mark Mar. 3 as EO day :thumbsup: :wine: :wine:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-02-25 23:26:44)

Adverts

Board footer