Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-21 00:44:54

Amblecroft
Website

Importing chickens (eggs) from foreign countries

OK, after much searching through government websites this is what needs to be done.  Go to this website and then deploy the Automated Import Reference System.   Then you can start by using the bottom menu which states:  Please Select HS Code Level 1..............and you choose "Live Animals"
Then go to Level 2, Level 3, etc.  until you finally get the who great lengthy rules, regs and requirements.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/impo … 127627409#

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2012-02-21 00:44:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-21 00:59:34

Susan
Administrator

Re: Importing chickens (eggs) from foreign countries

Yup, been there, did that!  It is rather time consuming!

#3 2012-02-21 01:04:20

gubi
Website

Yes and a lot of government writing.  Why can't they just say these are the rules and this is what you have to do and test for.  You almost need to be a lawyer to understand what they want!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-02-21 01:27:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I agree Stafan, and right before you go into it they say "The AIRS has been prepared for the convenience of reference only and has no official sanction." :duh:

#5 2012-02-21 02:08:09

Lindy Lou

Yes been there and done that. I printed the whole thing off the computer (All 11 pages) and have read it several times. My thoughts are Just tell me what I need to do, What forms I have to get and how much is it going to cost!!!
Why is it that all branches of Government seem to do the absolute best to cloud the relevant points in a tangle web of jargon and Blah,blah,blah. :banginghead:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#6 2012-02-21 02:24:07

poplar girl
Administrator

I think you need a chicken free certified place to keep the chicks or birds in quarantine. There is a lady from Red Deer that has been working to get her place approved for quarantine for almost a year.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-02-21 02:53:00

Lindy Lou

Amblecroft has a chicken free zone and is willing to house the birds during their quarantine period. What it takes to be cleared to do that is an area yet to be delved into.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#8 2012-02-21 15:41:52

Amblecroft
Website

It is a long read and this is basically what I get out of it.  What it comes down to is that the Exporter is from Germany or France (Spain is a "no go"):

- needs an export permit
- needs export documentation
- needs tamper-proof leg bands
- needs an official veterinarian (like our Federal Vets)

- country or zone must be free of Newcastle Disease
- birds not vaccinated against Avian Influenza
- birds housed in Avian Flu free zone & inspected 24 hrs before shipping.  Either tested for Flu or the country has a reporting or surveillance system in place.
- birds free from Avian Pneumovirus for 90 days prior to shipping
- birds free from salmonella 3 years prior to shipping
- birds free from salmonella pulorum & salmonella gallinarum
- birds free from egg drop syndrome and tested 90 days prior to shipping

I think if the country of export has an approved poultry surveillance program in place then it is more expediant.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medium Quarantine requirements:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter … 1110259785

#9 2012-02-22 00:32:32

Lindy Lou

Okay Thank you so much for extracting all that information from the Ministry. The next question of the day is how do we go about obtaining all the required paperwork to obtain all the necessary Permits?

#10 2012-02-23 20:22:42

Amblecroft
Website

I've spoken to a few government officials and have in my possession an application for a Permit for Importing Live Animals.  The actual permit is only good for 3 months.  I am still waiting to talk to my local Fed. Vet. to find out what is involved with quarantine in this country.

Germany, France, The Netherlands (probably Belgium) and the U.K. are he easiest countries to import birds from.  They must be a resident of that country for 60 days and then the 3 week quarantine and series of inspections can begin after 60 days.   

One can only make guesses at this point, but the costs would involve:
1) purchasing the birds,
2) set up an approved post-import quarantine location in Europe,
2a) feeding and housing them for two months,
3) inspections, paperwork, signatures at their end,

4) travel/gas expenses for the temporary keeper,
5) container & shipping costs 
6) Customs & CFIA charges upon arrival

7) quarantine location setup & inspection costs in Canada
8) feeding & housing in Canada for one month
9)  ?

I'm not certain what some of these expenses or fees would be, but my guestimate would be around $2000 or more.  I'd be surprised if it is less.  Until I speak to the vet about quarantines I can't say if I/my setup would be suitable.

Shipping is expensive, at least it is for dogs.  I can get a 20 lb dog in an approx. 24" X 24" X 15" crate shipped from Europe for around $700-1000.   Depending on the country or the person, sometimes a formal "shipper" needs to be used.

Last edited by Amblecroft (2012-02-24 00:58:46)

#11 2012-02-23 22:02:25

Lindy Lou

Okay so at this point we know that the cost is likely to be around $3,000.00 maybe $4,000.00. I think we need to know for a certainity who is willing to share the cost. We need to decide how many birds we want to bring in and how we will share the birds and eggs once we have them.
I for one am still willing to persue the matter so now it's a matter of counting who wants to be involved and dividing the cost up accordingly.

Thank you very much Amblecroft for all your assistance. I can' timagine talking to the Ministry of Ag to be a clear cut and fun time. I really do appreciate your efforts

#12 2012-02-24 00:11:42

Amblecroft
Website

Well, once I hear back about the quarantine fee and even if one of my coops is suitable to be a quarantined building then we'll have another number $ to work with. 

Maybe eggs are the way to go?  I've heard that foreign birds are susceptible to illness from change of diet, water and probably our own personal air pollution :-)))  So, we can ask ourselves if there is much of a difference between losing live chickens (which I'm sure would start even a heap more paperwork) or have infertile eggs?  Even half a dozen unrelated birds will go a long, long way genetically if a group were to organize a good breeding program.

Eggs would be easier for someone to store and probably pick up and shipped with FedEx. 

Just a thought.  Someone should do a test hatch.  I've flown to Ottawa to visit my grandkids and I've taken eggs for eating (they like my green eggs :)  ) .   Maybe someone else is flying somewhere and can take a dozen eggs, put them through the x-ray machine and then into an incubator--see what happens.  No harm in doing a test run!!

#13 2012-02-24 00:34:42

Susan
Administrator

I believe the person handling the birds or eggs can not have, or be in contact with other poultry on this end. Too much potential for cross contamination

#14 2012-02-24 00:56:05

Lindy Lou

That's absolutely right Susan. The quarantine area must be so far away from commercial poultry and the person tending to the quarantined birds must not come in contact with any other birds.
If you look on the thread a few posts earlier Amblecroft posted what the medium security reguirements are.

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-02-24 01:02:34)

#15 2012-02-24 01:04:13

Amblecroft
Website

Amblecroft wrote:

Well, once I hear back about the quarantine fee and even if one of my coops is suitable to be a quarantined building then we'll have another number $ to work with.

I have two coops, one in Hamilton and one near Peterborough so I don't have to come into contact with any birds.  But maybe the building has to be spiffy or made out of aluminum, or stuff like that.  Won't know until I talk to the Fed. vet.

But, the restrictions are pretty strict and if the person in Europe has to do the same then it is unlikely that this procedure can go through.  It is an awful lot to ask of some else that has no vested interest in the project.

Medium Quarantine requirements:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter … 1110259785

Last edited by Amblecroft (2012-02-24 01:15:34)

#16 2012-02-24 01:46:54

Susan
Administrator

Forgive me if I sound like a downer Amblecroft, when it comes to something this big, I just always focus on the hardest parts- that way the rest seems easy :)

#17 2012-02-24 01:50:57

Lindy Lou

Well Susan if you ask me this all looks hard.:funny: I truly think that we can do this if we all try to do our part. it is a very important undertaking and I really feel the future of Euskals here in North America is resting with us.
After all no one else is crazy enough to try it :funny:

#18 2012-02-24 02:04:36

Susan
Administrator

Well said, LL, lol!

#19 2012-02-24 02:58:49

Lisa

Amblecroft,

You ROCK for having done all that work!!! It is SO much appreciated.... :thanks::thanks::thanks:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer