Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-20 01:46:18

poplar girl
Administrator

Pictures of lavender and black d'uccles at the show

Just got home from a fun weekend at the poultry show in Wetaskiwin. I entered all my lavender d'uccles in the show and they did pretty well!

There were 14 d'uccles entered in the show: 4 black, 3 mille fleur, and 7 lavender.

The overall winner, Best of the Breed, was a mille fleur pullet. She was actually from the judge's bloodlines a few generations removed.

Cricket did very well! She was won Reserve of the Breed. The judge said she had nice type which is very encouraging as most lavenders have poor type compared to mille fleur.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/402b985b.jpg

Ozzie was Reserve of Variety which was great to see!
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/dc9b2b1e.jpg

I also brought home my two split black pullets.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/68b7f5f7.jpg
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/fe0be43d.jpg

The judge suggested mating Ozzie with the split black girls which is exactly what I am planning to do. I can hardly wait to start incubating eggs but not for about a month...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-02-20 01:46:18

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-20 02:04:46

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Pictures of lavender and black d'uccles at the show

They look BEAUTIFUL PG :love:  Glad you had a good time and your birds did well. :cheer:

#3 2012-02-20 02:30:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh well done. :snowman: They look beautiful after their spa treatment to get there.  :congrats:  So that bodes well for us as far as nearly all of us have their relatives. =D

You new girls are pretty too.  I can't wait for their eggs in the mail, but don't stress over it, whenever it works out, it works out.  Thanks for posting pics of all, they really show their type.

#4 2012-02-20 02:31:09

Susan
Administrator

Oh PG, Awesome!! They look great! I would expect you did so well.  Lovely pullets you brought home too. They are going to make some gorgeous babies :) :)

#5 2012-02-20 03:05:37

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:congrats: Glad they did well.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#6 2012-02-20 14:01:27

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Beautiful Birds.  Congratulations!!!!!  :cheer:

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#7 2012-02-20 15:41:07

Lisa

PG,

:congrats: Way to go d'uccles!! :jumping:

PG, Cricket's feather quality actually looks pretty good (for a lavender). Do you feed her something in particular? (I'm starting to think that if I can't change Austin's genetics, I can at least improve his feed!)

And Ozzie looks so proud! Can't wait to see pics of the lav/split babies!!!! C'mon spring!

And thanks so much for posting this - it really helps to have good examples so we know what we are doing.....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#8 2012-02-20 17:44:06

poplar girl
Administrator

:thanks: everyone! They all seem to be settling in at home and getting to know the new birds just fine.

Lisa Cricket does have pretty nice feather quality for a lavender. She is a really nicely put together little girl all around =D. Too bad I don't have a really nice rooster to pair her with this year. I don't feed her anything the rest don't get. They all get treats like cottage cheese, yogurt, chopped liver, saskatoons, sweet potato, sprouted wheat...every couple of days I make them something. Her bath masked the bit of fraying on her wing bows, it was actually amazing how much difference the bath made! She and her sister have also been kept by themselves until today, no boys to mess up their feathers before the show.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2012-02-20 23:06:41

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Wow beautiful birds. d'Uccles are my fav bantam's. I have 1 single lavender d'uccle hen but no rooster for her and no one here in NS has them.

#10 2012-02-20 23:12:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh wait till you movr to Ontario Jamie...Claire has lavender d'uccles =D

#11 2012-02-21 01:24:53

Lisa

... and Paula, and Helen, and Lisa.... =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#12 2012-02-21 01:24:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think that might be where she came form, we all need your split babies PG! :please:  Jamie do you have the porcelains still?

#13 2012-02-21 01:45:34

Flat Rock Farm

I have ordered some Lavender chicks from Performance, so am hoping I will get some decent chicks to add to my little flock :thumbsup:

#14 2012-02-21 02:36:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I have to laugh, you resisted for so long Paula!  They are sweet little birds...  We had nearly all roosters one year and nearly all hens the next time we got them from there!  I hope you get some good ones!

#15 2012-02-21 03:41:25

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

I think that might be where she came form, we all need your split babies PG!   Jamie do you have the porcelains still?

Yes she came from the eggs you sent me last spring. She was the only egg to hatch. She is so sweet that I cant give her up so she just hangs out in the coop with no mate.
No I sold the porcelains last summer because they had the non bearded gene.

#16 2012-02-21 13:22:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yep, there's something about those little purple chooks! :love:

#17 2012-02-21 14:16:17

Hackmatack Ridge Farm

Ill get a pic of here for you today.

Adverts

Board footer