Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-08 23:50:36

Maggiesdad

question on cockerel behavior...

Yesterday evening while making my rounds, I heard lots of sad noises coming from the Round Two coop. I opened the door to check it out and found two roos with bloodied combs and one with blood on his beak. Everybody but him was in a dither. The bloody boys rand to me and hid their heads in the crooks of my elbow. The instigator came and tried to get to them, so I grabbed his head and held it in it in the bedding. Well that caused an even greater uproar, so I stuffed everybody back in and cut off the light.

Tonight when I put every body in the coop, it wasn't 5 minutes before the ruckus started again... This time I grabbed the offender and took him over to the Round One coop and stuck him in there. He didn't appear anxious to mix it up with them, but I didn't stay to see what would happen.

So my question is - Was this the wrong thing to do? And if it was, then what would you all recommend?  :please:  :thanks:

2012-02-08 23:50:36

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-09 00:10:56

gubi
Website

Re: question on cockerel behavior...

Sounds like something I would have done too.  I would go check up on him to see if he's OK before you go to bed.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2012-02-09 00:15:46

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think I would have done the same.  If he has trouble in there, either being bullied or still bullying then as mean as it may seem, probably would mean the freezer for him here eventually.  You can try something else though below. 

If it looks like you'll always have to have alternative housing you have to weigh whether it is worth it and whether you want to pass that rough of a nature on to his offspring?  He may just settle, and I know we want them to have some pep, but mean rude chickens don't get to live here.

Just keep an eye on him for now and a day or three in there with the big ones as the lowest on the pecking order may sort him out. You could give him one last chance in with his age group and if he bullies again, then decide.  He will not go back in right at the top of his own group's order if he is gone a few days as they forget him and rearrange the pecking order.  So sometimes if works to do that take them right out and away and out of sight then put them back.  If he settled right in with the big ones, I'd leave him there.

#4 2012-02-09 00:44:21

Maggiesdad

Just got back from checking on him, all was quiet and he was keeping a low profile - tucked in the corner with his head under his wing. LoL

I'm going to leave him in there with the big guys tomorrow.  There's lots of places for him to run and hide. I'm going to be at the seminar, but I'll get Maggie to keep an eye on him. She's a great little chicken helper!

#5 2012-02-09 00:51:25

Lisa

MD, what Claire and Gubi said!  :)

I have one older fella that was rotten with his brothers - but was the best rooster I had, so he stayed. I put 4 younger boys in with him, and he's been fine with them until recently - I think he's now feeling some competition with them.

I'm with Claire - mean roosters don't get to live here - nothing that scares me on this farm! But because I am stuck, I may "use and lose" this fella soon.... Both my DH and my step-son have offered to bbq him....

Last edited by Lisa (2012-02-09 14:12:16)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#6 2012-02-09 02:04:00

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

If they are in the thick of it and Maggie has to go in, I'd have her shout at them.  Mine get, "OY STOBBIT" English-speak for hey stop that!  You usually get a shocked stare from the whole coop and you can pick whoever you want up, you get about 5 seconds to do that, then they start to talk amongst themselves...

#7 2012-02-09 02:34:44

Maggiesdad

:lol: I'll tell her that!  You should have seen her the night we brought the Australorps home, coming out of the coop in a cloud of feathers with a full grown 'lorp hen (by the feet) in each hand yelling at an old fat Jack Russell to "Get Down!"  :love:

#8 2012-02-09 03:10:39

Lindy Lou

I yell "OY STOBBIT" too. Wonder why that is? :funny:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2012-02-09 03:11:04)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#9 2012-02-09 18:39:04

Flat Rock Farm

:funny:

#10 2012-02-09 20:36:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It's a cultural thing...or lack of it!  Sounds like Maggie will be fine.  Hope you are having a great seminar today Glen.

#11 2012-02-10 00:37:39

Maggiesdad

So the bully was looking pretty harried in there with the big guys, I put him back with the Round two chick this evening after I disposed of Midnight's remains.

#12 2012-02-10 01:52:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Maybe he learned his lesson, if not put him in solitary out of sight and earshot if possible of the young ones for 2-3 days.  It may not be long enough for them to have properly forgotten him yet.  Just keep an eye on them to see.

Adverts

Board footer