Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Eggs
  •  » Let's talk about EO eggs!

#26 2013-10-24 03:13:08

gmb

Re: Let's talk about EO eggs!

:thumbs:

2013-10-24 03:13:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2013-10-24 22:27:15

Micah and Kiah

Maraduna Breeding group two (pure Alberta Man and pure SLF lines pullets from my second gen)  are breeding up a storm and giving me BEAUTIFUL babies :excited:
Elevator's ladies still laying too.  amazing.  6 out of 7 days a week since their first pullet eggs.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#28 2013-10-24 23:51:45

poplar girl
Administrator

I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting 6-7 eggs a day from 40 birds, most of them pullet eggs. I keep thinking its the short days but I have the lights on now to bring them up to 13 hrs and still no improvement. I don't want to crank the day length up too high as I want eggs in January/February for hatching....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#29 2013-10-25 00:24:52

yardbirds

I have my light on a timer that comes on at 4:00 a.m. and shuts off at 8:00 a.m. and I have it on again from 5:00 p.m., till 6:00 p.m.  I have noticed a difference, as the welsummers slowed down abit before I turned the lights on. 4 out of my 7 birds are laying with the barnevelder (5/7) laying and not laying.  Esmerelda the 2 and a half yr. old EE stopped about 10 days ago and the one EO hasn't started yet.  :huh:  and so far this week 17 eggs

Last edited by yardbirds (2013-10-25 02:49:15)

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#30 2013-10-25 00:32:23

gubi
Website

PG I'm in the same boat.  I'm getting 1-3 eggs a day from 35 hens and pullets.  I turned on the lights last weekend after I moved the last of the pullets into the coop.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#31 2013-10-28 19:27:20

Little Boy Blue
Website

Anyone from the South going to weigh in on this? 

My girls start laying at an average of 26 weeks and only have be laying 3-4 eggs a week over their first 10 months of laying.  The egg color, size, and shape have been all over the map.  Some are laying a dark tan egg, some a pink egg, others a cream color.  Some are laying well rounded eggs, other elongated eggs.  Some have good size to their eggs (70 gram range) other a lot smaller (60 gram range). 

I am not really sure where to go from here.  I have selected one hen to keep from the 9 pullets I started out with a year and a half ago.  She has the best color, best egg size, best egg color, best egg shape, but has been one the bottom half of the flock as far as egg production goes with makes me weary.  I have two pullets from this years' cockerel which I am keeping and have a new cockerel picked out for next year.  Hopefully things will improve.  I have been communicating with another EO owner in my area who reported similar results in his flock.  what are others in the USA seeing for production?

I only have two hens that made it to October before they molted.  One stopped laying when I moved her to another pen 3 weeks ago.  I still get an egg every other day from the other hen, but she was sick in the summer and took a 4 week rest period during that time in which time she molted, so her "forced summer Molt" may be what is sustaining her.  The pullets are also laying an egg every other day right now.  They have been laying for only 6-8 weeks though.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2013-10-28 19:32:38)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#32 2013-11-03 06:45:30

debbiej

I have 7 EO girls that are around  4 years old they don't lay every day, some days I get 1 egg some days 3 . A couple of the girls lay extra large eggs a few lay large, nice eggs when they lay.  I have a couple of pullets in with my Russians so I can't really say how they are laying, but I'm not getting any large eggs in that coop yet.

#33 2013-11-03 12:43:27

Maggiesdad

@ LBB - very similar results here...

I'm thinking my girls are on the low side of the standard for eggs (not trapnesting yet).  Of my original flock, from Dec '11, two hens were in the low 90's as breeders and my roosters were't anything to write home about. In fact they probably pulled egg production down. This coming hatch, I plan on trying a cock from a buddy that had GFF stock. This bird has another finger of width and two fingers more depth in the egg dept, with good keen pelvic tips... and he's two lbs heavier than my breeder Cs from this past Spring. His minus is that his wings and tail are loaded with white feathers. :sad:

So for next few years I plan on eating a lot of chicken, and enjoying watching the parade of birds come through - while looking for the right stuff under the hood, and selecting for vigor and hustle.. The girl that hustles is the one making the next egg, and if she's wide in the rear, she spends less time squeezing it out in the nestbox. That leaves more time for rustling up more grub for the next egg...:thumbs:

#34 2013-11-11 19:49:46

Little Boy Blue
Website

Thanks MD!  It sounds like your GFF cockerel is a better prospect than mine. I have GFF hens and a Skyline cock bird.  The cockerel selected for next year is an F1 GFF cockerel, and yes he has a lot of white on his tail and wings (along with the molting gene).  I will just keep selecting for the birds with the larger capacity, wider spread, and better head points. In a few years I hope we have 6-7 egg a week layers, XL eggs with lots of bloom, steady growth rates, good vigor, and tasty fryers.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

• Index
  •  » Eggs
  •  » Let's talk about EO eggs!

Adverts

Board footer