Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

• Index
  •  » Eggs
  •  » Let's talk about EO eggs!

#1 2011-07-04 01:26:09

poplar girl
Administrator

Let's talk about EO eggs!

At present I only have two EO hens old enough to lay eggs. They are actually older hens I purchased. Both girls lay a shiny large egg almost every day. About 6 days out of 7 I get an egg.

I would be interested to hear others experience with the egg laying ability of their EOs!

Good (Canadian) winter layers?
Do they generally take a break at some point in the year?
Any problems with blood or meat spots (my girls seem to have some)?
Shape? Size? Shell thikness?
Day lenth sensitive?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-07-04 01:26:09

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-04 02:07:43

gubi
Website

Re: Let's talk about EO eggs!

Mine have been laying pretty steady since they started last fall nice big shiny brown eggs.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#3 2011-07-04 03:22:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Winter and cold didn't slow them down much, 3-4 eggs per 5 females (one 3 year, old 4 pullets), but they were in a dark barn and in Feb I guess the light wasn't intense enough and we went down to 1-2 per day for 5.  I moved the light closer and boom 3-5 a day.  Once it stopped frosting as much in April May we were getting 5 a day most days.  We were easily getting 2 dozen hatching eggs a 5-7 day span, right Stefan?!

They can be secretive layers when free range, so keep an eye, but they will all lay in the same spot if you figure it out.  Yes big shiny eggs, our 3 year old lays a 1-2 on the Marans scale, like say same as Orpington or Wyandotte or Chantecler, lats generation were all pale too, now this third generation we are getting 3-4  on the marans scale, "nicely brown"!   When we were getting them graded they were always XLs and they are fat a bit like a dorking egg, not quite so round, but harder to tell which is the pointy end than some.  I guess that roundness adds to the size and weight.  Makes for big fluffy chicks!  Shells usually thick, never had  a papery thin one from them.  there is very little speckles or anything they are a solid colour here anyway.

Never had any blood spots from them, even in the 3 year old.  It can be genetic I believe, but am not 100%.  Could it be diet related at all?

#4 2011-07-29 22:21:58

Flat Rock Farm

Mine just started laying about three weeks ago and already one is laying a real whopper, I have never seen eggs so shiny before, love it :thumbsup:

#5 2011-07-30 04:42:19

poplar girl
Administrator

I can hardly wait! I think in about a month I will be gifted with my first EO egg from babies I hatched.
:congrats: Flat Rock!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2011-07-30 13:40:46

Susan
Administrator

Yes 6 out of 7 is the norm. My eggs from Sequin were not dark, but there were no meat spots as far as I know and the shell quality remained great the whole cycle. She finished and moulted right at the time I decided to let them free for the spring which worked perfectly. I'm sure she's laying again but its hard to tell as the other girls that are with her are buff brahmas and GLW so they all lay a nice big pale-ish brown egg. My new EOs have also started to lay and there were maybe 2 or 3 pullet sized eggs and then all were regular size!  I will be keeping all of my pullets. The ones not used for breeding still are worth their weight in gold for how well they lay. :).

#7 2011-07-30 14:45:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I am about to head out with the camera, and have a flat of EOs eggs waiting for a hot tummy..... :chook:  My 3 year old Blondie laid an egg 23rd, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29th July!  6 eggs in 7 days.  Not bad for an old girl!

My chanty just hatched 14 live chanty babies....will take pics of that too!  :jumping:

#8 2011-07-30 15:46:28

Susan
Administrator

Can't wait to see!  Isn't it awesome that they lay really well when they get older? Is Blondie 3 now or 4?

#9 2011-07-31 19:17:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Here are ours
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_6820.jpg

Blondie is 3 years  2 months old and laid 7 eggs in the lasts 8 days.  Hers are the eggs with a B.  Speckled Jims girls eggs have a J!  We are getting 203-3  day from the 3.  Think we are rearranging and putting some under broodies when night falls :jumping:  You can see how shiny and big the eggs are!  They are way lighter than they were in the winter.

#10 2011-07-31 19:49:10

Lisa

Claire,

Those are GORGEOUS!! :thumbsup: Please also insert emoticon for drooling here!!!! Let me know if you end up with too many....  :whistle:

How many eggs do you put under each bird, and which birds will you give them to? (wondering if some of your birds are more reliable broodies than others). I have one australorp pullet (about 7 months old) who is trying to convince me that she's really ready to be a mom - not sure whether or not to believe her!

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#11 2011-07-31 22:18:40

Susan
Administrator

I'd give an australorp 8 or 9. My hatched goose eggs for me! :)

#12 2011-07-31 23:19:13

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We just had a chanty hatch 16!! Out of 18 eggs.  I let her chose the number to sit on - 2 hens laid in that nest for a couple of weeks uninterrupted til she decided to sit.  =They all hatched at once too.   2 didn't make it but I can't believe she hatched 14.  She's not that big a hen!  She hatched 2 earlier this summer.  I wouldn't have put more than 12 under her myself!

The chantys are pretty reliable, I have had 2 lavender Ameraucanas that must have been broody for 4+ weeks and 2 chanties the same.  Whatever I do I will put 2 hens of the same breed on the eggs.  Probably Jims in one tractor and Blondies in another so I don't mix em up, then if one hen loses interest the other will step in and sit on them all.  I am assuming the same breed will get on better together, similar temperaments and they know their own kind.

We will have extra eggs, I will advertize once the 4 weeks is just just in case my blue boy lavender d'uccle fertilized anyone!  I know it is late but if anyone wants them they will be available in the 2 lines.

#13 2011-08-01 02:41:16

Lisa

Claire,

I know this may sound like a silly question, but for those of us who haven't used broodies before (like me!), when you put two broodies in the same tractor, do you give them each a nest with some eggs (and do you separate them later if they both come through), or build just one nest and let them take turns???

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#14 2011-08-01 02:59:28

Susan
Administrator

I have found each broody wants her own nest but I tend to still separate around hatching time or one hen may give up her nest and try to take over the ones most recently hatched. Can lead to problems.

#15 2011-08-03 17:09:09

Amblecroft
Website

At what age do you find the EO start to lay?

Susan

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#16 2011-08-03 18:22:12

gubi
Website

Mine started at 19 weeks of age

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#17 2011-08-03 20:36:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Lisa wrote:

Claire,

I know this may sound like a silly question, but for those of us who haven't used broodies before (like me!), when you put two broodies in the same tractor, do you give them each a nest with some eggs (and do you separate them later if they both come through), or build just one nest and let them take turns???

Lisa, we made two nests with the lavender ameraucanas and apparently they are now both piled into one!  Wit the chnateclers they had separate nest but there was different hen on a given nest at different times.  We had three nests going at the same time, and all 3 hens rotated.  The time around hatch is the touchiest I guess, whether one will steal and we solved that by moving one hen with the earliest hatchers, leaving the other with the later hatchers and eggs, then moved her too, the they did the "two-momma-stuck-together-broody-unit" and all the babies went under both of them.  I had to move them on hatching because the nest was 3 feet off the ground and no good for chicklets, and it seemed to work out well.

#18 2011-08-12 02:13:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Well today I was gifted with my first EO pullet egg. My oldest girls were hatched April 1st so only about 18 weeks old. A very nice medium brown egg! Oh AND in the nest box. I think it was my big blond girl as her comb is most developed but of course I am guessing.
:happycrowd" :EO:

#19 2011-08-12 02:19:49

gubi
Website

:congrats:

#20 2011-08-12 03:06:39

Island Girl

Now that is exciting! :congrats:

XOX Monika

#21 2011-08-12 04:29:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:congrats: Poplargirl!  Get used to them, there'll be lots more.  You'll find them bigger than the Dorking eggs and certainly the Duccles. The d'uccles start early and they'll be secret ones, you'll find a stash, mine lay in the 40 pound hanging feeder

#22 2011-10-16 02:36:49

texastinsel

For some reason none of the pictures are showing up on here for me...I am so disappointed because I was so looking forward to seeing the egg pics.  Any suggestions on what could be wrong?:huh:

#23 2011-10-16 04:15:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Not sure what is up as there are just 2 pics.  Try pressing F5, it should refresh it, maybe that will help.  I've had that help before. :thumbsup:

#24 2013-10-23 16:39:06

yardbirds

I love my EO eggs, not pullet sized at all and so clean and shiny.  Got my first egg on the 18th, she skipped the 19th and has laid each morning since.  :EO:

Last edited by yardbirds (2013-10-23 16:39:33)

urban flock consisting two EOs thx Prairie Chick, one True Blue Ameraucana, and two Welsummers, thx Dan Smith and a gorgeous Easter Egger Hen, thx Flicker Chick. and 2 GLW pullets, 1 GLW cockerel, 1 SLW cockerel, 1 true blue Ameraucana pullet, and 4 EE pullets and 1 Cream Brabanter pullet, Thx to FRF, Anneke, and Fallyn.

#25 2013-10-23 17:32:22

Flat Rock Farm

:congrats: yardbirds :thumbsup:

• Index
  •  » Eggs
  •  » Let's talk about EO eggs!

Adverts

Board footer