Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2012-02-07 18:31:41

Susan
Administrator

Re: Sick Birds - need advice please...

Me too :) I hope they are recovering nicely.

2012-02-07 18:31:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2012-02-07 18:44:07

Lisa

Happy Tuesday Everyone! =D

I'm a happy girl - no more casualties (I was getting phobic of going out to the pens!). The two birds that were sneezing have stopped. The 'lorp that was quite sick is still holding her own - eating and drinking (mainly Doug's bean sprouts!), but still sneezing quite a bit. She looks a bit more perky, her eyes are nice and clear, and no discharge from her nostrils. The tylan seems to be doing the job  :jumping:

I have the sick bird and the pen of birds that the sick ones came from on the tylan. All of my other pens are on ACV, which I will alternate with electrolytes - just to give a boost to their immune systems. The weather has been unseasonably warm here, so the birds have been mostly outside, getting some fresh air and sunshine. I was able to really air out my coops over the last 2 days, which helps, I think.

So now I am looking for the hard news.

I am guessing that this was myco - which means the recovered birds will remain carriers, yes? So if they get stressed, they may get sick again. This also means that all of my other birds are likely carriers, even if they didn't appear to get sick, yes? And even if this is not the case, any birds that are in contact with these birds, ever, may get the infection.

So, my choices are to accept that there will be periodic infections (like 80 % of small flock owners), or to cull everything I now have and start again with eggs (not an acceptable choice to me!). Have I got it right?

Now, what about eggs - will the eggs from my birds also potentially be infected? I'd hate to sell eggs to people and run the risk of the baby chicks making their flocks ill!

Thanks for all the good wishes guys - you make this whole process so much easier! :love:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#28 2012-02-07 19:01:43

Flat Rock Farm

Well if it was myco all birds are carries just depends if conditions are right for it to show up.  Like weather change, stress.  I know my BLRW had it before in the fall of 2010, everyone survived but last fall I had a couple start the sneezing again.  For me I think the weather change is the trigger.  Would I cull them, no. I treated them with some ACV and they were fine in about a week, there was only two in my group of 12 and the rest were fine.  None of my other birds come down with any symptoms. :huh:
So not sure if any of my ramblings help or not.

#29 2012-02-08 00:47:23

poplar girl
Administrator

The answer is yes the eggs can carry mycoplasma. Only a low percent chance (like 5%). And not sure if all species of myco are carried through the egg. Some people do a Tylan dip on the eggs to try to kill the myco before incubating.

I am quite certain that is what mine had as well. I have chosen to live with it.

Selling birds, chicks or eggs though one would need to disclose this information.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer