Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-03 15:55:37

poplar girl
Administrator

Topic 2 (supplement): Test Your Knowledge!

Never done this before so here's hoping it works. 

I created a little quiz for everyone to test their knowledge of the first few definitions ipf has reviewed and discussed. All the information you should need to ace the test is available in Topic 2: http://forums.euskaloiloas.com/viewtopic.php?id=521

Click on the link to take the quiz:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6DVJXDD

I will post the answers at the end of the week!

Please feel free to post any question or discussion the quiz brings to mind (but NOT the answers :P) either here on in Topic 2.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2012-02-03 15:55:37

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-03 20:13:21

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Topic 2 (supplement): Test Your Knowledge!

So far I see 2 people have answered the questions! Y'all got 100% whomever you are :thumbs:

Too easy I guess :whistle:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-02-03 20:35:52

Susan
Administrator

Nope, we just have really smart people here! :)

#4 2012-02-03 20:54:07

poplar girl
Administrator

:duh: of course Susan, that's what it is!
We are all owned or aspiring to be owned by EOs and :EO: so we must be super smart :thumbs:

#5 2012-02-03 23:37:17

Maggiesdad

not enough questions...

miss one and you fail.  :nervous:

#6 2012-02-03 23:39:50

poplar girl
Administrator

Ah but you didn't fail MD 100% :thumbsup:

Also you might need a math lesson...miss one and you get 67% actually ;)

#7 2012-02-03 23:41:40

Maggiesdad

:lol: :thanks:

#8 2012-02-04 03:30:45

ipf

That is SO cool! I love little mini-quizzes, and really hope I answered correctly. . .

I have to apologise for my delinquency  - I've had a (dearly loved) visitor from Australia for a few weeks, time-consuming traumas in local goverment issues, and serious spousal health issues (with what now seems to be a positive outcome!). We're going away for a few days, and then our Aussie friend leaves. I promise to get back on the job next weekend. For sure.

#9 2012-02-04 03:33:54

ipf

By the way, MD, which one did you miss? I'm hoping that this clever PG who posts the quizzes will let me know the tally of responses - that's the only way I'll know if better (more detailed?) explanations are needed.

And everyone else - get on there and take the quiz!

#10 2012-02-04 13:26:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Looking forward to having our teacher back next weekend ipf!

Funny you should say you like quizzes. I like quizzes too but I think others may find you and I a bit strange :Crazy:

I will most definately share the overall results and the correct answers with everyone at the end of the week! I sure hope I didn't mess up any of the questions :nervous: I guess that's my test!

Just so everyone knows, I do not know who has answered the questions so when you answer you do so anonymously.

6 people have completed the quiz so far!

#11 2012-02-04 13:52:15

Maggiesdad

ipf - I didn't miss any, just being a goofball...  =D

#12 2012-02-05 03:35:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

IPF enjoy your week!  Glad all is well now.  I'll do the test tomorrow, thanks for creating it PG.  I'm too tired right now.

#13 2012-02-10 14:12:44

poplar girl
Administrator

Results will be posted tomorrow...24 hours left to take the quiz!

It seems I might have worded one of the questions poorly...should allow some discussion if nothing else!

#14 2012-02-10 14:30:06

Maggiesdad

I do think the definitions still need to be cleaned up, and I 'm looking forward to ipf's continued constructive criticisms.

I've been following some really interesting threads on BYC and it has a lot if questions swirling around in my poor head. I want to ask them, but I'm not sure the proper format...

#15 2012-02-10 15:52:48

poplar girl
Administrator

ipf should be able to go through more of the definitions starting this weekend and I know she is hoping there will be some discussion or additional questions that come up. I will post a nice clean list of definitions at the end of all the discussion.

If you have questions or items for discussion MD you should most decidedly post them. Exactly where you post them is not as critical as just getting your ideas out there i would say. You could tack them onto the Topic 2 discussion thread if they fit there. Or start a new thread if they don't!

#16 2012-02-10 15:53:59

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Did it.   I did not see may mark anywhere, but if it suddenly drops, it's me!  Thanks for creating it PG!

#17 2012-02-10 16:19:47

poplar girl
Administrator

I know how you answered Claire only because I can see how the totals changed. You definately didn't follow the crowd on your responses ;)

I think posting the answers to the quiz will definately creat a bit of discussion which is good :thumbs:

#18 2012-02-10 19:25:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:chairhide: oh dear, finally proof of something I have suspected for a while, my brain is going!  :nervous:

#19 2012-02-11 00:25:28

ChestnutRidge
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

I do think the definitions still need to be cleaned up, and I 'm looking forward to ipf's continued constructive criticisms.

I've been following some really interesting threads on BYC and it has a lot if questions swirling around in my poor head. I want to ask them, but I'm not sure the proper format...

I would love to know which BYC threads you've been following and all of the questions in your poor head.  My poor head probably can't answer them either, but I love to ponder. =D

#20 2012-02-11 00:51:01

Maggiesdad

3 weeks ago a 97yo Dr, 5 generation farmer and poultryman of 3 generations experience FIRST HAND,  joined BYC. I've been spellbound ever since...  All of his posts are worth noting.

Glen

http://www.backyardchickens.com/u/116962/allenwmiller

#21 2012-02-11 00:53:00

Maggiesdad

His SOP thread especially...  :wise:

#22 2012-02-11 01:44:18

Susan
Administrator

Feel free to post the  thread links MD. I'd like to check them out and find it hard to find thingas on such a big forum.

#23 2012-02-11 04:35:46

Maggiesdad

Susan wrote:

Feel free to post the  thread links MD. I'd like to check them out and find it hard to find thingas on such a big forum.

I know what you mean, Susan! That's why I thought it was cool when he joined up, the movers and shakers started coming to him! His thoughts on the APA Standard of Perfection... http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/62307 … perfection

Now, my knowledge of poultry is paltry, and I know the EO isn't a recognized breed, but his points seem valid to me - and it strengthens in my mind why what we are doing with the Spanish Standard is so very important.

Some of the questions this thread has caused me to ponder... partial list - and in no particular order:

-  ethics, or lack of merits, of hatching pullet eggs
              -  inbreeding percentages, is there any way to quantify where we already are?
              -  feather color, leg color, comb deviations: How serious are they in relation to structure and ELC?
              -  importance of record keeping
              -  importance of pedigree
              -  deformities (ie curled toes) genetic,breeder flock nutrition or sloppy incubation?
              -  extended hatches (genetic, breeder flock nutrition or sloppy incubation?
              -  do the deformities and extended hatches present in brood hen hatches also?
              -  importance of preserving broody qualities in the breed - did the typical Basque farm run incubators?

#24 2012-02-11 15:29:03

poplar girl
Administrator

1. A basque chicken can have the following number of alleles for a gene:
One - 0                                                                              
Two - 2                                                                                      
Three or more - 0                                                               
All answers are correct depending on the gene - 7                   

2. How many chromosomes does a chicken have?                                                                     
Chickens do not have chromosomes - 0                           
78 chromosomes (39 pairs)     - 9                                                 
46 chromosomes (23 pairs)     - 0                                               
57 autosomal chromosomes and one sex chromosome - 0

3. What are autosomal chromosomes?
Sex chromosomes - 0
The pigments that causes the shanks of a chicken to be black, blue or green - 0
All the chromosomes that are not sex chromosomes - 8
The W and Z chromosomes in chickens     - 1

#25 2012-02-11 15:41:26

poplar girl
Administrator

So in particular question one, why did we have two sets of answers?
Ask yourself how many alleles does a single chicken have for a gene? How many diferent forms of an allele can be present in the population for a gene?

Adverts

Board footer