Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-02 20:55:40

NaturesPace
Website

First Wheel of Cheese

Since we moved to VA we have been getting our milk from a local farmer with Jersey cows. It is raw with lots of cream on top. I started to learn how to make cheese awhile ago, but it was fresh cheese that didn't need to age. I decide to try some aged cheese. In December I made my first Cheddar cheese. I had some trouble with the cheese press. The recipe was for 1 wheel, but I ended up with 2, four inch wheels. They were aged in our 'cave', which is a wine refrigerator held at 55 degrees F.

My DH made his first loaf of bread yesterday, so I decided it was time to break out the homemade cheese too. I was amazed how good the cheese was. Yes, I said it, I MADE AMAZING CHEESE. :funny: The bread was also really good, especially for his first time making bread.

I'll have to see if I can duplicate my success. There is another wheel aging and I'll be making more this weekend.

Here are some photos of the cheese and sandwiches.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/FirstCheese.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/GrilledCheese.jpg

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-02-02 20:55:40

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-02 21:05:58

Maggiesdad

Re: First Wheel of Cheese

Ohhhh Noooo! Not another keyboard gone!  :eat:

#3 2012-02-02 22:14:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh My ! :wine: Well done. I know that feeling. :congrats: There is nothing like it!  The best cheddar I have eaten is cheddar I made, I managed to get some Dexter milk from 8 hours away!  It was 6-12 months old while we ate it.  We vacuum sealed it to cure it and we didn't get a thick rind, stored it in the fridge, our only option.  Then we vacc packed the quarters. Can't believe we made it last that long.  :eat:

I am so envious of your steady supply.  There is a gentleman about an hour away that we can buy a share, but he is insanely expensive, like remortgage the house, expensive.  We have been hankering for more home made so have to figure something out.  Stefan's Brown Swiss are very tempting as a dairy breed, they are such beautiful cows.  But we gotta get set up better here first. 

That is by far the nicest looking grilled cheese I have ever seen.

#4 2012-02-02 22:34:21

pops coops
Website

Ok as if I do not have enough to do, now I want to make my own cheese, I have a friend that has goats and makes so many kinds I just showed no interest till I saw this post, good work looks great and now am hungry

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#5 2012-02-02 23:12:58

Flat Rock Farm

OMG that looks sooo good the cheese looks perfect :eat:

#6 2012-02-03 00:11:08

Amblecroft
Website

Absolutely awesome!!  Congratulations.  You must be soooooooooo pleased with yourself!  Bravo!  The cheese looks picture perfect!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#7 2012-02-03 00:13:28

gubi
Website

I love cheese :eat: I worked on a mixed farm in Switzerland for a winter after ag college where they also had a cheese factory.  They made 100 wheels of Tilsit 4 times a week.  One of my jobs was to wash the cheeses before breakfast.  What a boring job.  At one time my boss had a special order where they wanted the cheese vacuum packed for ripening.  Basically they wanted to cut corners like they do here.  My boss was really upset about it.  This would ruin his cheese.  So Claire your cheese would be awesome but I bet it would be so much better the way you did it nature space.  It looks delicious!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-02-03 00:39:30

poplar girl
Administrator

That cheese looks amazing as does that grilled cheese sandwich on homemade bread :eat:

Now I want a cow...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#9 2012-02-03 00:47:15

Susan
Administrator

OMG that is awesome!!! I have made fresh cheese, but not cheddar. I get raw milk and cream once a week, so I could totally do that. -instructions please!!

#10 2012-02-03 01:38:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know Stefan, but it was only a 5 pound round very wide and flat as my mold was huge!  So the person I got the milk from recommended vac pac so we didn't lose half of it.  I'll just make bigger ones in future! :doI?: 

Check out Glengarry Cheese website for cultures and recipes.  I still have to get their recipe book, it has the culture numbers and everything so you get the right stuff.

#11 2012-02-03 02:31:43

NaturesPace
Website

Wow! I'm glad I posted this. You guys made me feel so good and lucky to have that cheese in the next room.

I used the recipe from Ricki Carrol's book http://www.amazon.com/Home-Cheese-Makin … amp;sr=8-1

It was the Farmhouse Cheddar recipe. I'm looking for other recipes, as I don't like the measurements for cultures in the book. It is written for the cultures and rennet that she sells on her website.

Culture magazine is a good idea, I'll check there. Also, taking detail notes as you make the cheese is important. Just as it is when incubating eggs.

Gubi, if I had a herd of brown Swiss, I might be making even more cheese. I bet that would be amazing cheese. And working on a farm in Switzerland must have been a great experience for you. I wouldn't mind hearing more about what you did there.

Dexters! I heard they produce really good milk too. Hight butter fat content, but not a high quantity.  Perfect for a homestead. The are about half the size of a Holstein so they are easier to handle. They are considered a dual purpose cow, I think. They were on my short list of cows I would like to have, but I think I'll end up with goats first.

#12 2012-02-03 02:41:18

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh the beef is good too!  :eat:

#13 2012-02-03 03:28:20

nuthatch333

OMG That cheese looks fantastic, making truly good cheese is on my bucket list. I have all the books, now I just need a cow and a winning lottery ticket.
:snowman:  I love that snowman, I just can't help using him.
edited for spelling of course.:chairhide:

Last edited by nuthatch333 (2012-02-03 03:29:36)

#14 2012-02-03 10:40:34

gubi
Website

I was born in Switzerland and moved here with my family 20 years ago when I was 14.  After college went back for one winter to work at a farm.  I met my now wife pretty much right after I decided to go work there so I couldn't wait to get back home again!  The farm I worked on had 30 Brown Swiss cows, 150 sows farrow to finish and a cheese plant.  They had a feed mill and mixed all their own feed for the pigs.  My days consisted of washing cheese before breakfast, feeding the finisher pigs after that and then do what ever else needed to be done on the farm after that. The finisher barn was fully automatic with liquid feeding.  The whey was pumped directly from the cheese plant into a holding tank in the pig barn and was then used as the base of the feed.  The days I liked the most were weekends.  I got to look after the cows when the barn boss had his weekend off or the Sows when the sow barn boss had his weekend off.  This farm has since gone one step further and built a Bio gas system.  It uses the gases from the manure pit of the farm to produce electricity and the heat produced from it to heat the big farmhouse and cheese plant.  The cheese plant, storage cellar and house where one building!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#15 2012-03-11 04:32:12

NaturesPace
Website

http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-object-103.gif

http://www.laymark.com/l/ch/ch020.gif

~:>

Last edited by naturespace (2012-03-11 04:37:20)

#16 2012-03-11 13:28:29

ChestnutRidge
Website

Awesome cheese, naturespace!  I miss cheese.  The older I get, the more allergies I develop. :banginghead:  You'll have to keep us updated about your beekeeping mentorship as well!  I can eat honey! :eat:  Just no bees. :cozy:

Gubi, I love the stories.  Where in Switzerland were you raised, and where did you work?  I was able to visit for a week once - beautiful country, beautiful countyside, and beautiful cities.  The mountains are so tall:pics:

#17 2012-05-27 04:41:02

prairiedawns

Dang.  Now I totally want a grilled cheese sandwich.  But first I will have to stare at that pic and stick it to my memory, and pretend that my sandwich tastes as good as yours looks.  *find my happy place...find my happy place...find...*

#18 2012-05-27 13:39:07

Lindy Lou

We just cut into my first wheel of cheese. It was a Farmhouse Cheddar which has been aging since April 1st. I used Ricki Carrolls book too. As far as I can tell it turned out as it should , dry and crumbly with a distinct cheese smell and tang. I have a Colby and a Leicester wanted to be tried yet and I have also made Feta with Sheep milk which John ate in three days. I really enjoy the art of cheese making and I'm getting ready to make some more.
I have also just finished planting out my very first veggie garden. I have always grown Tomatoes, cucumbers,peppers and herbs in containers but this is my first real garden. What a thrill :jumping:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#19 2012-05-27 15:36:11

Flat Rock Farm

Lynn's cheese is yummy :eat:  The cream cheese she made was wonderful and the herbs that were in it gave you a nice after taste in your mouth =D

#20 2012-05-28 05:43:35

prairiedawns

Oh gee, thanks FRF.  Now I have to go to bed jealous too.  No homemade grilled cheese sandwich, and now new friends who gloat about eating someone else's.  Nice.  :lol:

#21 2012-05-28 14:22:14

Prairie Chick

Making cheese is definitely on my bucket list =D

Chickens:  EO's, BLRW, Ameracauna's (blue/black/splash also Lavender) and lavender D'Uccles
Waterfowl: Super dewlap Africans, Seb's, American Blue Geese, Muscovies,
also guinea fowl and peafowl

#22 2012-05-28 14:25:09

prairiedawns

PC, some people might look at us funny for saying that, but it's on mine too.:jumping:

#23 2012-05-28 20:25:23

Flat Rock Farm

Well it was on LL bucket list as well, she doesn't even eat cheese but she sure did a fine job making it.  She has her friends and family who appreciate the effort she did :eat:

#24 2012-05-28 23:07:22

Lindy Lou

Well Thank you kindly Paula. It's true I don't eat cheese but I'm quite taken with the practise of making it. You take the same ingredients and just by altering the temperature and heating and pressing time you get different results. Personally I get a real kick out of it and I can see myself making it for a long time to come. Anyone that wants to try it should give it a go but make sure you have the whole day free cause there's a lot of waiting between steps.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#25 2012-09-12 18:56:03

TicketyBoo

Wow, that sandwich looks delicious :)

I must get a "roundtoit" with the cheese making thing.

Surely it can't be that difficult? And it's not like I have to go further than 300ft to find some good cheese making milk ;)

Adverts

Board footer