Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-02-01 18:52:48

NaturesPace
Website

smallest flock ever (pix heavy)

Here are some photos of my HUGE EO flock. ;)
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/Both_G_Hchicks.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/H_chick.jpg

Feet color: looks like one has yellow and the other is white.
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/Bothw_feetcolors.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/Both2.jpg

Funny right foot:
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/footRight2.jpg

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/footRight.jpg

Last edited by naturespace (2012-02-05 02:36:49)

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-02-01 18:52:48

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-02-01 22:35:42

Maggiesdad

Re: smallest flock ever (pix heavy)

:jumping: Those are some slamming yellow feet on that one chick!  :jumping:

Early wager - yellow foot is a roo...  :P

#3 2012-02-01 23:09:07

Helliefant

Ummm...what are they drinking? Looks like white wine......

:wine:    :wine:    :wine:

Great looking yellow legs!  :thumbsup:

#4 2012-02-01 23:17:32

NaturesPace
Website

Are not supposed to have white wine? It's after 5pm. :funny:

I put some poly-vi-sol in the water. It's a liquid vitamin mixture.

#5 2012-02-02 00:59:49

poplar girl
Administrator

They are very cute NS! Those toes might straighten out yet. Are you going to try to help straighten them or just wait and see?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-02-02 02:20:25

NaturesPace
Website

poplar girl wrote:

They are very cute NS! Those toes might straighten out yet. Are you going to try to help straighten them or just wait and see?

I was thinking of trying to put a boot on it do you think it would help or should I wait and see if it straightens on its own?

#7 2012-02-02 02:56:06

poplar girl
Administrator

The problem will be by the time you know if the toes will straighten on their own it will be too late. You will only have a few days before the bones harden and the toes can't be straightened.  It is really tough to say what they will do on their own NS.

If you don't want to chance it Island girl's post about using scotch tape looked like the best idea I've seen for straightening toes.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-02-02 03:42:47

NaturesPace
Website

ok, what do you guys think of this tape job? Thanks for the tip Popular Girl and the directions Island Girl.

:thanks:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd454/Naturespace/tapedToe.jpg

Last edited by naturespace (2012-02-02 03:44:56)

#9 2012-02-02 03:47:22

poplar girl
Administrator

:thumbs: I think it looks great!

#10 2012-02-04 00:30:58

NaturesPace
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

:jumping: Those are some slamming yellow feet on that one chick!  :jumping:

Early wager - yellow foot is a roo...  :P

The yellow footed, is also a yellow combed chick. It is almost orange. It is also more aggressive than the other. It tries to peck at the other's black feathers and eyes!

The one with the black feathers doesn't mind being picked up at all, but the yellow footed, almost pops out of your hands toget away.

There are also little black spots developing next to the eyes of the spotted one. Looks like just a touch of eyeliner.

Last edited by naturespace (2012-02-04 00:31:52)

#11 2012-02-04 00:33:47

NaturesPace
Website

Oh, I have a question too about the pipping tooth (not sure if that's the right name) does it fall off or become part of the beak?

#12 2012-02-04 00:57:13

Susan
Administrator

Fixed you title. It falls off. Nice job on the toes! :cute babies!

#13 2012-02-04 01:29:31

NaturesPace
Website

Thanks Susan!

#14 2012-02-04 01:43:08

gubi
Website

Let's see if I can post a reply before my computer crashes again :banginghead: I never noticed on any of my chicks that young the leg color diffrence.  I will have to pay closer attention to that this spring.  The young EO cockerls are so sure of themselves right from the start!  Those darn curled toes. I hatched a few of those too.  I left them because I wanted to make sure I didn't breed with them.  But of course the crooket toed chicks all turned into the largest and nicest cockerels!  I have one hen that hatched in 2010 that has one curled foot and she gets along fine no problem at all except for her toenails not wearing off.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#15 2012-02-04 13:01:53

poplar girl
Administrator

If these guys have crooked toes I don't think it is genetic Gubi, naturespaces's babies had a long slow hatch is all.

How's the little one with the scotch tap feet doing NS?

#16 2012-02-04 14:04:16

Maggiesdad

gubi wrote:

Let's see if I can post a reply before my computer crashes again :banginghead: I never noticed on any of my chicks that young the leg color diffrence.  I will have to pay closer attention to that this spring.  The young EO cockerls are so sure of themselves right from the start!  Those darn curled toes. I hatched a few of those too.  I left them because I wanted to make sure I didn't breed with them.  But of course the crooket toed chicks all turned into the largest and nicest cockerels!  I have one hen that hatched in 2010 that has one curled foot and she gets along fine no problem at all except for her toenails not wearing off.

I've noticed the camera can "see" what my eyes can't. My guess is the brightness of the flash shines through the epidermis to get to the dermal (shank) color.

Next time you have a bunch of chicks, get the camera down at chick level (I use a clean paper towel) and snap a few shots to see what you can find. Then you could tag chicks of interest with a mini tyrap.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-77yGXO2QHPE/TuUSgRcxZjI/AAAAAAAAAlc/s3X5LZGSUe0/s912/DSC_1073%2520%25282%2529.JPG

#17 2012-02-04 14:13:27

poplar girl
Administrator

I agree MD, in a picture you can see yellow vs white legs much better. A bit later on you can see green or blue legs more clearly in a picture as well. Not sure it is the dermis epidermis thing though...either way it is a great way to evaluate your chooks. I find the same goes for feather color as well.

That makes me think I should be making a photo library that tracks each chick this year. It will probably be a huge asset in understanding what's going on...wow I'm going to be busy.

NS with the smallest flock of EOs ever at least you will be able to track both babies all the way through!

#18 2012-02-04 15:11:01

NaturesPace
Website

In MD's picture you can also see the yellow on the comb and top of the beak. The ones with the white legs don't have that. MD, Did you have any with a black spot on their head like mine? Have you kept track of it, coloring wise?

PG, yes I'll keep good records on these guys.

A batch of new eggs has been shipped to me, so I'll have some other babies in a month!

#19 2012-02-04 16:49:06

Maggiesdad

None of mine in either hatch had any black on them. However, I did mark the down (with permanent black sharpie) on the late hatching chicks' heads to see if there were any growth related problems later on. All the late chicks were females. All my ginger/cinnamon dusted chicks were females, except my brown roo, Forrest, from the second batch. There was one pullet in each batch that has white markings, both of them are super reticent compared to the others, and are at the bottom of the pecking order.

Naturespace, check out the size and shape of the heads, eyes, beak and nostrils of the two chicks in your first photo, and make a mental note of the differences.

#20 2012-02-04 17:15:23

NaturesPace
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Naturespace, check out the size and shape of the heads, eyes, beak and nostrils of the two chicks in your first photo, and make a mental note of the differences.

Is that why you said roo on the standing chick? I think it has a smaller head, bigger nostrils what are you seeing?

#21 2012-02-04 17:28:13

Maggiesdad

naturespace wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

Is that why you said roo on the standing chick? I think it has a smaller head, bigger nostrils what are you seeing?

I see a longer more curved beak, more exposed nostrils, longer head, and a less rounded eye on the upper chick. It's also a little further from the camera.
It could just be the angles they are presenting their heads, and I could be full of chicken poo :Crazy: , but it's still fun to speculate! ;)

#22 2012-02-04 18:39:43

NaturesPace
Website

I'll check the out in person and let you know if I see that too.

#23 2012-02-05 01:00:02

ChestnutRidge
Website

Well, they are cuties, Naturespace, and two more than I have! :funny:

Maggiesdad, you are very observant.  Good tips.  I will definitely remember to take pictures at chick-eye-level. :pics:

:chook:

#24 2012-02-05 03:50:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

poplar girl wrote:

That makes me think I should be making a photo library that tracks each chick this year. It will probably be a huge asset in understanding what's going on...wow I'm going to be busy.

NS with the smallest flock of EOs ever at least you will be able to track both babies all the way through!

I am hoping to do this too this year.  I had 2 from Blondie last year I kept track of! I even guessed their sexes at hatch and got them right!

Congratulations on your chicks. :congrats: I am glad you got two at least.  It's much easier on them than being a loner.  Hopefully they are the first of many! :wine:

Adverts

Board footer