Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-31 02:04:20

Maggiesdad

Pullet is a Roo

Took these this evening during the earthquake... he wouldn't hold still, the ground wouldn't hold still, oh well.  He doesn't look anything like the barred boys. What do you think?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OXFbpqvzzkY/TydJaTKZnlI/AAAAAAAAAug/NOJu3Y-npBg/s640/DSC_0163%2520%25282%2529.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZNFBYwiwzTI/TydJbef62BI/AAAAAAAAAuo/jsudXHgJTXY/s640/DSC_0161%2520%25282%2529.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9HGuSfHSJPM/TydJecCZQ9I/AAAAAAAAAu4/VTPdDHaWRJI/s720/DSC_0162%2520%25282%2529.JPG

Here he is with one of my darker pullets for comparison...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-kcv7kIT4H1E/TydJb2C9fQI/AAAAAAAAAus/T_IhwrPAERs/s640/DSC_0158%2520%25282%2529.JPG

2012-01-31 02:04:20

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-31 02:10:39

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Pullet is a Roo

Well I most certainly would have said he was a pullet as well, but that comb tells a different story! He is barred, note the fine white bars in the hackle feathers. But not very well barred...hum.

I am beginning to wonder if this is what the roosters are supposed to look like. It seems if the boys don't have much grey they look more like a pullet at the start. The same thing happened to me with Adonis, thought he was a big beautiful pullet until his comb and wattles came in!

Very interested to see how he looks as he grow up.

Earthquake you say :chairhide:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-01-31 02:10:50

Flat Rock Farm

Wow he really has feathering of a pullet, not sure what to say about that :huh:

You getting more earthquakes there Glen?? What the heck I didn't think you were prone to them in your area.

#4 2012-01-31 02:16:26

gubi
Website

interesting.  I can see why you thought he was a pullet. Maybe its an extremely fast maturing pullet that is going to lay any day now!  :whistle:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#5 2012-01-31 02:36:32

Maggiesdad

His body feels different than the others, really meaty - he's a chunk! His butt is fluffier,  too.

We're, ummm, mildly earthquake prone since last fall, :chairhide:

#6 2012-01-31 02:39:11

poplar girl
Administrator

Does he have green legs too MD??

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-01-31 03:00:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think as the birds improve, and the roos have more brown and else grey they'll be harder and harder to tell, but the barring and comb/wattles'll be the decider then.  He's very pullety looking in colour, he might be a good start for Gorria project being sans bars! He is so sweet, I love their bubble gum pink combs and wattles.  I think James should see him too!

#8 2012-01-31 03:29:11

Maggiesdad

poplar girl wrote:

Ya, but I don't eat the shanks anyways...  :lol:

#9 2012-01-31 03:46:07

Maggiesdad

Maggiesdad wrote:

poplar girl wrote:

Ya, but I don't eat the shanks anyways...  :lol:

I do like a good stock tho!  The other day we were cruising by the meat counter in the grocery store and I happened to see a big styro tray of about 20 "Chicken Paws".  I said 'Great Day!' and Maggie came bebopping over to see what had caught my attention. Upon seeing the feet she said "What did they do that for?!" and I said " I guess the chickens didn't need them any more". :huh:

She said "That's just wrong!".  :funny:

#10 2012-01-31 15:04:08

Lisa

MD,

Are we sure that's a boy? Maybe you have a cross-dresser??? :lol:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#11 2012-01-31 20:10:05

Flat Rock Farm

Yah a roo in pullets clothing :funny:

#12 2012-02-01 01:28:47

poplar girl
Administrator

I am beginning to wonder about this little dude-ette as well. There is a gene that makes roosters hen feathered...

The reason the green legs matter has nothing to do with :eat: Barred roos are not supposed to be able to have green legs. There are some older posts on the topic but the pigment that makes legs green should not be expressed in a homozygous sex limked barred male. That said I has one like that. My theory was green legs can show up if he only carries one allele for barring.

#13 2012-02-01 01:57:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The comb and wattles convinces me even without the fact that that little chook has a heavier chunkier build.  He looks like a blond Gorria.  Excuse me for posting this pic on your thread MD but here's a red Gorria roo a around the same age.  Also non-barred. Blondie behind him.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/babies009.jpg

Edited to add, interesting, my dude had pointier hackles and wattles are bigger.  I'd guess he was about 6 weeks then.  Maybe your is a hermaphroidite....do they have those in the chicken world?

I guess time will tell on this one!! :nervous:

#14 2012-02-01 01:59:42

poplar girl
Administrator

Looks alot the same Claire! MD's has little white bars in the hackles though...

#15 2012-02-01 02:09:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yeah I don't see or remember any on "the Ham".  See Specky's mostly white speckled body behind the hams head.  Sorry the pictures blurry it was taken on my old video camera in 2008 so hard to see details.

MD's little dudes headgear is the proportion of a mature hen.  Maybe its feathers will change radically too.  I have an enormous Chanty pullet I swore was male, she was solid chestnut like a lot of her bros, but at 22-4 weeks I realised she had to be female when her all her penciled feathers came in and she is definitely a girl.

#16 2012-02-01 02:21:10

Maggiesdad

The girls from Round  One (3 weeks older) have nowhere near that much head gear (as this dude/dudette).

Claire, your Gorria looks photoshopped! lol - what happened to him?

#17 2012-02-01 02:27:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh we let him go, wish we kept him, he was sweetie. He always looked at the camera like that.  He had a little "clown face" that's what I call them, all white in the face with big pink headgear,  the young Partridge penedesencas look a  lot like that too.

The hens had blue legs, one was very ginger the other kind of a reddish wheaten and as most of the birds were fairly mixed up we thought they were crossed, but now I think they just had blue legs and couple of generations and we could have had them right.  But we were new to chickens and didn't know any better.

#18 2012-02-01 02:37:18

Maggiesdad

I have so much to learn....

Since this is my post I guess I can go off topic?

I keep running across 'Build the barn first then paint it' in other threads, here and on other forums... what is your opinion on how close the NA EOs are to having the barn right?

And can the paint (feathers, coloring, leg color, combs, etc.) really be fixed in a few generations?

#19 2012-02-01 08:12:35

choctawgal
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Edited to add, interesting, my dude had pointier hackles and wattles are bigger.  I'd guess he was about 6 weeks then.  Maybe your is a hermaphroidite....do they have those in the chicken world?

Actually yep!  I did a little research when my "Attilla the hen" started looking like a Dark Brahma rooster... 3 months after SHE stopped laying eggs!!

Apparently if one ovary becomes injured or "insufficient" the body will actually produce more androgens and a hen will start to "transition" into looking and acting like a rooster!  Of course they are sterile, but they don't know it!  LOL

The following is a quote from the Merck Veterinary Manual:

If the normal left ovary of a hen is destroyed by infection, the vestigial right organ may develop as a testicle and the hen may develop male characteristics. Neoplasia in the adrenal glands or ovary that result in the production of testosterone could also cause the development of male secondary sexual characteristics (comb and wattles) in affected females.

I LOVE medical case studies and that kind of stuff!  :love:

:surfing:  Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#20 2012-02-01 12:29:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

I have so much to learn....

Since this is my post I guess I can go off topic?

I keep running across 'Build the barn first then paint it' in other threads, here and on other forums... what is your opinion on how close the NA EOs are to having the barn right?

And can the paint (feathers, coloring, leg color, combs, etc.) really be fixed in a few generations?

You are right MD, the "paint" is less important. Your birds are a bit young yet to judge the "building" but the weight data you are collecting will be very useful.

I think it is a balance. You probably can fix the "paint" in a few generations but only if you have some birds with the right "paint" to cross them with. If every bird you own has a side sprig for example I think it would be hard to get rid of. But if a couple that are really great for other traits have one well, then you should be able to get rid of most side sprigs in a few generations. It depends a bit on how complicated the genetics of the trait are: one gene or many, how different traits work together, recessive or dominant, how well understood the genetics of that trait are, etc.

I have so much to learn as well, i think we all do! Having other people take a look at your birds (judge at a show, friends) can be really helpful as it is absolutely a learned skill to notice all the aspects that matter. In person is best but pictures are second best. What you might miss someone else might see. It is especially hard with the EOs as there is no experts out there for us to go to right now.

#21 2012-02-01 16:36:21

Flat Rock Farm

That's very interesting choctawgal, I never knew that.  You learn something new everyday :thumbsup:

#22 2012-02-01 17:39:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Wow, neat adaptation.  I guess if a hen isn't going to produce chicks, she may as well take on the role of protector and must be more effective as a protector with that extra testosterone.

Adverts

Board footer