Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-30 18:31:52

NaturesPace
Website

profitable homesteading

I recently read an article and it got me thinking about quitting my job and trying make a living, albeit meager, from my homestead.

here is a link to the article: http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/01/pro … ow_to.html

Wondering if anyone here is making a living off of their farm/homestead or if everyone is working another job. What do you do and how did you make the move?
We literally moved from California to Virginia in October, 2011, but I'm still working for my old company remotely. It's a great opportunity to be able to work from home, but I'm getting a bit tired of "my career". I really want to try homesteading for a living.

We are currently renting and hoping to find a place this year to purchase. We have enough saved to buy something and only have a small monthly mortgage.

Together we have some good skills. My DH is a woodworker, but having trouble finding a market for himself so far. I'm a pretty good gardener, cheesemaker, canner, animal care taker...

I really think we can do it, but the courage is hard to mustard up to make the final plunge.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2012-01-30 18:31:52

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-30 19:49:16

Amblecroft
Website

Re: profitable homesteading

I haven't ready the article yet but it sounds like you've got the enthusiasm for it and that is half the battle.  My husband wants to retire and keep hesitating and I keep rhyming off all the "stuff" that we can do but you are right, the courage is hard to muster in this day and age. 

I'd love to hear about your cheesemaking.  What type of milk do you use?

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#3 2012-01-30 20:36:49

Young Heritage

Our current plan is for me to stay home and farm/homestead and my wife to work in the workplace. For the past 12 years I have been the breadwinner and my wife has stayed at home. She is currently in school and will be finished in a few months. Once she is established in her job I will make the next move which is to work at home remotely or subcontract for remote support. We are trying to take it in stages so the plunge isn't so deep and so it eases the financial strain some. It is a big decision and one that needs a lot of planning in my opinion. if the economy and this Country "USA" keeps going the way it is going, we all will have to be self sufficient in many ways. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and I hope it works out for you guys.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#4 2012-01-30 21:28:46

NaturesPace
Website

Amblecroft wrote:

What type of milk do you use?

I'm using cow milk right now. I have a herd share. In VA, you cannot purchase raw milk, so there are herd shares. I "own" part of the herd and the farmer takes care of them for me. In return I get 4 gallons of raw milk a month.

It's a herd of mostly pure bred Jerseys. The milk is great even in winter. Can't walk for the spring, it's going to be amazing.

I just started making some hard cheeses, Cheddar. I make mozzarella, and ricotta a lot. Tried cottage, but didn't think it turned out very well. I'll have to try another recipe.

I actually want dairy goats and to make cheese with their milk. Fresh and mold cheeses. I also want to experiment with mixed milks, half goat, half cow or sheep.

Do you make cheeses? Tell me more.

YH: Sounds like a good plan. We have been slowly making our way to being self sufficient. Getting a good homestead chicken is first on the plan. (one is pipping as we speak)

I agree our economy is really bad and makes such a move even more challenging. For anyone who is looking for a good investment, I think precious metals might be a good move in this day and age. Of course, food is even more important of an investment.

:eat:

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-01-31 01:28:44

gubi
Website

We as in my parents, my wife and myself are dairy farmers.  We milk 64 Brown Swiss cows and because we have supply management in Canada we can make it work.
My wife used to make cheese when our first daughter was born.  It was delicious.  It is a lot of work though and takes a lot of time to do.  Brown Swiss milk is the best milk for making cheese.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#6 2012-02-01 19:47:24

Amblecroft
Website

I would love try making some cheeses. So far only soft cheese and yoghurt from cows milk.  I hope to get our barn built at our new farm this year and then get some sheep or goats.  I'm not certain which would be better.  I've only ever had sheep and those have been for meat.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#7 2012-02-02 19:40:20

choctawgal
Website

I have been playing with making cream cheese, cows milk feta, riccota, and a 30 minute mozzarella that is really easy!! 

I've gotten recipes from a cheese magazine, "Culture."  Here's the link... scroll down to the 2nd to the last topic "Make Cheese" for the recipes!
http://culturecheesemag.com/recipes

Enjoy!

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#8 2012-02-03 00:18:59

pops coops
Website

I would so love to live off the land and just look after gardens and chickens and cows, maybe pigs, but I so love my job I would get more selective but never quite www.artandneedfulthings.com , we have just posted hundreds and hundreds of pieces of original art, I love my job so i could live off the land but work selectivly

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

Adverts

Board footer