Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-30 15:19:05

Amblecroft
Website

Breed Std pictorial

Popular Girl, I thanks for the pictures.  So, which of the hens is desirable.   

I moved this to a new topic so as not to clutter up the other. 

It would really help if we had a body parts pictorial :-))  When I read the standard I'm not certain exactly what one may be looking for.  I.E.  Maybe somebody would start a new topic on just the "Perfect legs" with  a picture of yellow legs .  I would love to see just a picture of the perfect barring on a rooster's tail, or a picture of the perfect comb on a rooster and a hen.  Seeing the whole bird and the discussion that goes with it is sometimes confusing.  By the time I've read all about each bird I'm usually no further ahead as to what is desirable and what isn't.  I guess that is why a standard of perfection drawing is done.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

2012-01-30 15:19:05

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-30 23:17:03

Maggiesdad

Re: Breed Std pictorial

:goodthread: Love this idea! Oh if we could just cut and paste!

#3 2012-01-31 01:31:00

poplar girl
Administrator

A good suggestion amblecroft. I have not been able to fine one rooster or one hen that is perfect so it seemed wrong to post pictures with the written description. I have tried a bit to get drawing or pictures of show quality birds from Spain but so far no luck. It might be possible to post pictures of birds that have perfect parts though...That idea is a good one! Not sure I have a perfect example of each component in my flock even so we might all need to contribute to the photo library...

You didn't need to worry about cluttering up the other thread either, I was the one who should have thought about it. I just want to keep track of all the good ideas and information everyone is posting in such a way we can go back to it easily. Everyone's questions comments, suggestions are MOST welcome, ignore me entirely if I seem to suggest otherwise!!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-01-31 02:04:28

poplar girl
Administrator

http://i56.tinypic.com/ixdv90.jpg

Let's start with this rooster picture young heritage posted.

For his barring and the color of his body this boy fits the SOP very well in my opinion.
As his tail is not fully visible it is not possible to say with 100% certainly if he has any white in it but I don't believe so.
Earlobe are properly red.
His beak is very uniformly yellow, no dark pigment.
You can't see his legs so we cannot use him for shank color.
His comb is not good quality IMO.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2012-01-31 02:20:33

Young Heritage

If you look at the bottom of that pic you can see him lifting his leg. It is yellow and what looks like a red or pink color on the back of his legs. Still cant see the shanks very well but can see a little of the leg.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#6 2012-01-31 02:37:07

poplar girl
Administrator

You are right YH, i see his yellow shank.I am not 100% sure about the red line on the leg. I believe it is acceptable but perhaps not desirable.

This boys shape (type) also looks good to me.

#7 2012-02-02 01:22:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay folks, I have looked through my photos. None of my pictures would show several aspect of a hen or rooster that meets the Standard of perfection.

If you have pictures of birds or that you think shows certain traits that match the SOp please post them!

#8 2012-02-02 02:46:36

Young Heritage

PG, have you been to the BYC EO thread? There are a few good pics that were posted. That is where I got the one above. Not sure if any of them are what you are looking for. I think I have posted the link before but if not here it is again.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/51004 … que-thread      Pics start on page 22 i think.

Last edited by Young Heritage (2012-02-02 02:49:21)

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#9 2012-02-03 00:16:01

Amblecroft
Website

Perfect!  Now I know exactly the colour we are looking for.  Thank you very much.

#10 2012-02-03 00:18:26

Amblecroft
Website

Now, what about the combs and wattles?   The picture looks very good with each "spike" increasing in size. (don't know what you call the 'spike').  :thanks:

#11 2012-02-03 01:06:46

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay. Here is a head shot of my Wellie.
http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac252/sulzmi/f2ad8e0f.jpg

My opinion (please feel free to disagree) is that he has a pretty good comb and wattles.
The breed standard (male) says:

COMB:   Single, medium in size, straight and upright, firm and even on head with five to seven well-defined points. Blade slightly raised from the back of the neckline.
BEAK:  Strong, vigorous and well curved.
FACE:  Smooth.
EYES:  Large and oval.
WATTLES:  Long, thin and smooth, with a rounded lower edge.
EAR-LOBES:  Medium in size, lying close to the face, smooth and lanceolate.
HEAD:  Long and wide.

Wellie's points on his comb are a bit crooked. At the back he there is a slight fold that should not be there. But his comb is pretty good otherwise IMO. Notice the back of his comb follow his neck closer than the first picture. He does not have the wrinkles in his comb over his beak as the other too does either. I would say he has a medium sized comb.

I also think his beak, wattles, eye, earlobes, head are pretty good.

#12 2012-02-03 01:30:51

Susan
Administrator

I like Wellie very much! (Not that I am biased! :) )

#13 2012-02-03 13:49:19

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

I like Wellie very much! (Not that I am biased! :) )

No of course you aren't bias :whistle:

Young Heritage wrote:

PG, have you been to the BYC EO thread? There are a few good pics that were posted. That is where I got the one above. Not sure if any of them are what you are looking for. I think I have posted the link before but if not here it is again.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/51004 … que-thread      Pics start on page 22 i think.

I just went through the entire BYC basque thread. A very neat (and long) thread to read! It is great to see so much interest and enjoyment of the EO!

Looking at the pictures Sebastopol posted there is a lot of diversity in the marraduna in those photos. It is interesting especially to note the variation in the female color. From almost blond to red brown to orangey brown. Some of the hens have almost no black (columbian pattern) in the hackles. For the males i see white in the tail, some with black showing on the wing and some not, lots of comb variation and color variation. Perhaps even in Spain there is a lot of work that can to be done on this breed? I really don't see too many photos that show the breed standard as I have it in my head. The one you picked YH, the first picture of a rooster copied and posted on this thread, is probably the best.

If you want to see marraduna basque that match the breed standard I have yet to find a site better than this one: http://www.euskalroots.eu/es/bienvenidos.html

To my eye, these birds, virtually every one, are fine examples of the marraduna basque. I do notice the hens And roosters have very little black in the hackles. I wonder about this and am uncertain if this is desirable.

I hope this website does not disappear anytime soon as I have yet to find anything comparable in terms of good quality pictures of marraduna EOs.

#14 2012-04-12 22:53:27

ChestnutRidge
Website

Young Heritage wrote:

If you look at the bottom of that pic you can see him lifting his leg. It is yellow and what looks like a red or pink color on the back of his legs. Still cant see the shanks very well but can see a little of the leg.

This is a bit of an old thread, but the red is just veining close to the skin.  It is a sign of high levels of testosterone and the amount of reddness will vary thoughout the year.

#15 2012-04-13 03:36:43

Island Girl

Glad that you bumped this back up CR, now that I know a teeny bit more it gives me a better idea of what to look for in colors. BUT it is an awfully long thread. Is there a way that we could do what was first suggested here about a shot of the perfect legs/ comb/ tail etc? I like that idea ... or have we already done that and I missed it :whistle:

XOX Monika

#16 2012-04-13 11:48:15

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think this is it Monika.  =D  Maybe we should have a separate thread for each body part. Maybe someone asking on a  particular body part, and getting PGs description at the top too and we can go and look and submit pics if we think we are close? That might be the best way to get replies as there could be a ton of info and discussion that may be overwhelming otherwise.

#17 2012-04-13 12:34:11

poplar girl
Administrator

I think that is a great idea Claire. I am not confident enough to take pictures of different chicken parts from my flock and say "these legs meet the SOP for color and thickness" with 100% certainty but if members are seeing a difference between two or three of their birds and could post SOP legs and then some comparison examples they believe do not meet the SOP that would be a wonderful learning tool. Quoting the SOP for that trait at the top of the tread will be perfect as well.

If I take birds to a show or two this fall/winter I will try to take a few birds of each sex for comparison. If i get feedback from the judge that one is better than the other for this or that I will most certainly take pictures and share them.

I know when Susan and I spend a few minutes together with her flock it was amazing how useful it was to discuss the birds while both of use handled them, etc. I wish it were possible to do that more often!

#18 2012-04-13 14:07:10

ChestnutRidge
Website

:jumping: That would be fantastic!  I do love the idea of this thread.  I am very interested in the back/tail and the chest shape. 

Then again, my birds are only little fuzzy chicks, so I guess it will be awhile before I pick my roo! :funny:

Adverts

Board footer