Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-20 00:14:08

gubi
Website

Interview with a breeder of Euskal Oiloa Llodiana

I can't understand what he's saying but between the 3 and 4 minutes mark he says Euskal Oiloa a bunch of times and at the 4 minute mark he says Euskal Oiloa marraduna.  If you wondered how to pronounce it correctly have a listen. 
http://www.eitb.com/es/audios/radio-vit … a-alavesa/

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

2012-01-20 00:14:08

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-20 02:40:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Interview with a breeder of Euskal Oiloa Llodiana

OMG that is awesome!  We know how to say it now.  Thanks for posting that Stefan!  I wish I could understand it.  Reminds me, I need another pic of Sunny, he is going browner now as he gets his adult feathers.  :love:

Yep he says it at 3:06, 3:10 and 3:16 and 3:54 for sure.

Oo-skal oy-you-a  5 quick syllables!  That is way easier than I thought it would be! :duh:

Marraduna sounds like mara-oona :happycrowd"

#3 2012-01-20 19:06:37

choctawgal
Website

Agreed! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wasn't sure on the pronunciation.  :nervous:  It was still too fast for me to really have it 100%, but I'm closer.  LOL  ;)     I was thinking of asking someone to record themselves saying it and posting a sound byte somewhere, so that my slow English tongue could finally get it... but didn't wanna look silly asking.  :funny:

Thank you for posting that, gubi!  At least I'm not trying to make all the vowels have each its own syllable!  (Habit I developed when my ex was stationed in Hawaii.)

I can't wait to see the new Sunny pic.  He sounds really pretty!

:surfing: Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#4 2012-01-20 23:18:04

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Ha!  We haven't been sure on the pronunciation for 4 years :chairhide:  I listened to that section about half  a dozen times and think have it now!  Practice makes perfect.  :funny: My dog thinks I'm crazy!

#5 2012-01-20 23:30:20

poplar girl
Administrator

I listened to him say euskal oiloa and marraduna like 50 times and I had a whole response for this typed out this morning, a couple links to some good sites for translation and...POOF gone :banginghead:

I am still trying to find one of the sites I had a link to so I can repost...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-01-21 00:04:13

Maggiesdad

Scott said there's a widget to fix that poof problem... :surfing:

#7 2012-01-21 00:57:30

Flat Rock Farm

OMG, we have been saying it something like that but am going to have to practice the oy-you-a part a bit.  Have to get the tongue rolling around it. :P  The mara-oona sounds better the" h" is silent then I think :huh:
Thanks for posting that gubi :thanks:.   DH was wondering what the heck I was listening to. :funny:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-01-21 00:58:00)

#8 2012-01-21 01:31:31

gubi
Website

I'm glad you guys are enjoying this audio clip as much as me.  I got some very strange looks from my wife and kids. "WHAT are you listening too?"  I like how he says Marraduna Marrra-oona with the roll up the rim R.  I have typed it into translator before and listed to it there so ihad a pretty good Idea of how Euskal Oiloa sounds. 
Now if I could only understand what he said.  I'm verily sure it is somewhere along the lines of the other LLodiana link I posted a couple of days ago.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2012-01-21 01:36:45

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

Scott said there's a widget to fix that poof problem... :surfing:

Yes, I recalled Scott posting that there was a fix for that when IT happened this morning. Best I get the widget before IT happens again or I cannot be held responsible for the possible fallout...

It is interesting that the "l" in oiloa and the "d" in marraduna appear to be silent. I would not have thought they would be. If you type it into google translate you can get the lady to say it back to you in Spanish. Basque is the other language it will translate but there is no audio for basque. I wonder if the fact that Euskal oiloa comes from the basque language but it is being pronounced by a Spanish speaking person has any influence on the pronunciation?

here is a link to google translate (hope it works!). Or search "google translate Spanish audio".
http://translate.google.com/?vi=c&hl=en

Make sure you are on the Classic version, not the mobile version. Type the phrase Euskal oiloa marraduna in the first box and hit the little speaker button at the bottom....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2012-01-21 01:42:28

gubi
Website

PG I think that the Euskal Oiloa are called vasca galina in basque?

#11 2012-01-21 01:46:07

poplar girl
Administrator

I thought is was vasca in Spanish, Euskal oiloa in Basque. Will need to look into that, I could be wrong!

#12 2012-01-21 03:22:51

gubi
Website

Your right PG.

#13 2012-01-21 11:01:02

Flat Rock Farm

Hey Stephan, if you pull up that site again, I know on my screen it had a google translate.  I didn't try it but maybe if you do you will understand what he is saying.  I will try it later, trying to get ready for my volunteer job.........

#14 2012-01-22 01:31:14

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

One thing that made me chuckle when I listened to that, it really tickled me was no matter what language people are talking on the radio about chickens, the backgrounds sounds will be the same.  Did you hear that banty rooster crowing?  That made me laugh the first run through!

I think the Spanish pronouncing the Euskal Oiloas and Marradunna definitely pronounce letters that are silent in that Basque recording.  I thought I hear the L in Oiloa and the D in marradunna

#15 2012-01-22 21:10:56

ChestnutRidge
Website

The lisp on the host tells us he's from Madrid; it's a really cute regional "accent"-type marker.  I think the story is that the king, I think, had a lisp and everyone else used one too so that he wouldn't feel bad about himself. 

I don't get much.  :duh: The guest is describing the breed a bit at the beginning - comb, earlobe color, etc. - and then it's off to the races.  I can barely catch the guy saying euskal oiloa except the one where it's really inflected.  :huh: I'm going to have to listen to it a few more times... once my headache goes away. :Crazy:

This is a really cool find! :applause: :chook:

#16 2012-01-23 02:08:18

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

That's cool you could understand some of it....way more than we did!  Hope your headache clears up soon.

#17 2012-01-27 20:27:44

lys
Website

In Basque (euskera) rr phoneme is strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKqRNXsB8ug

d has the same sound in Euskera and Castellano.

Oiloa (basque) = oilloa (castellano-spanish)

http://www.soinumapa.net/

Last edited by lys (2012-01-27 20:29:08)

#18 2012-08-24 14:25:14

Little Boy Blue
Website

ChestnutRidge wrote:

The lisp on the host tells us he's from Madrid; it's a really cute regional "accent"-type marker.  I think the story is that the king, I think, had a lisp and everyone else used one too so that he wouldn't feel bad about himself. 

I don't get much.  :duh: The guest is describing the breed a bit at the beginning - comb, earlobe color, etc. - and then it's off to the races.  I can barely catch the guy saying euskal oiloa except the one where it's really inflected.  :huh: I'm going to have to listen to it a few more times... once my headache goes away. :Crazy:

This is a really cool find! :applause: :chook:

The subject of this interview is a recovered variety of chicken called the "Rubia Alavesa".  Rubia is the word for Blond in Spanish and Alava is a providence in Basque Country.  So this variety would be would be something like the Yellow Alava (translation?).

This was a traditional color that had been lost.  The breeder described a color that is neither yellow nor red, but something in the middle, but from only hearing this once I didn't catch if that color was the "Rubia Alavesa" color or a comparison to the Marraduna variety.

The host asked the Breeder how once goes about recovering a lost variety, as well as for him to describe the bird, tell what commercial value it would have, what type of meat the bird had, etc...

This breeder and his partner worked for two year on the recovery and at the time of the interview had 40 "Rubia Alavesa" in their recovery flock.

Yes, the old wives tale is that a King in Madrid spoke with a lisp and everyone copied him.  The linguist don't agree with that tale and I don't think many people in Madrid do either, but everyone knows the tale and so it will continue to be passed down.  Everyone I have ever met from Spain talks with the lisp.  The lisp is the "pure" pronunciation of the Castilian Spanish.  If I remember correctly, influences from other languages is what led to a lack of the lisp in the coastal regions and low lands of Spain.

Last edited by Little Boy Blue (2012-08-24 14:28:03)

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#19 2012-08-24 16:12:54

choctawgal
Website

LBB,

WOW!  Thanks for that info... I really appreciate it on many levels, as I am a member of the Choctaw Nation (Indigenous American tribe originally located in Mississippi and forcefully relocated to Oklahoma). 

Our tribe is the only in, our area or origination, to have wavy black hair... a remnant of our "encounter" with the Castilian explorers!  :whistle:

I now have another, personalreason, to feel even closer to our EOs!  LOL  :funny:

Jenn
AKA: Choctaw Gal

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.

#20 2012-08-24 16:36:09

Little Boy Blue
Website

choctawgal wrote:

LBB,

WOW!  Thanks for that info... I really appreciate it on many levels, as I am a member of the Choctaw Nation (Indigenous American tribe originally located in Mississippi and forcefully relocated to Oklahoma). 

Our tribe is the only in, our area or origination, to have wavy black hair... a remnant of our "encounter" with the Castilian explorers!  :whistle:

I now have another, personalreason, to feel even closer to our EOs!  LOL  :funny:

Jenn
AKA: Choctaw Gal

Tulsa, Oklahoma is my home town.  I noticed the Chactaw Gal user name when you posted your Cuckoo Auracanas and wondered if you had any roots in Oklahoma.  I don't know very many particulars about any of the 52 tribes in Oklahoma, but when I lived there did know a few people that were Chactaw.

Cottage Hill Black Copper Marans & Cream Legbars

#21 2012-08-24 17:07:49

dahlisgrams

Wow. The broadcast is great! I'll have to listen to it translated as I cannot understand any of it! It is nice to have the correct pronunciation. Thanks for posting it. :)

#22 2012-08-24 20:44:42

choctawgal
Website

Little Boy Blue wrote:

Tulsa, Oklahoma is my home town.  I noticed the Chactaw Gal user name when you posted your Cuckoo Araucanas and wondered if you had any roots in Oklahoma.  I don't know very many particulars about any of the 52 tribes in Oklahoma, but when I lived there did know a few people that were Chactaw.

How fun, LBB!  Halito!("Howdy"--Choctaw)  :hi:

I have lots of roots in the South--particularly Oklahoma.

My father was born and grew up in OK during the dust bowl years.  He had TWELVE siblings (poor Gramma Fronie!!!), many of which are still there.  Like *LOTS* of ChOctaws, he relocated to Bakersfield, CA, then headed north and finally settled in the Pacific Northwest.  I think of him often, when I enjoy okra, pintos-n-cornbread, and ham hocks with my beans!  Unfortunately, like a great many of my Native kin, he passed on early in life--victim of heart disease and complications of type 1 diabetes.  :sad:

He talked a LOT bout his momma's chickens, and how they helped to both nourish his large family, and supplied a small income for his mom in such a difficult time!  I think he'd be ticked at me and my chicken addiction!  LOL  :Crazy::Crazy::funny:

Jenn
The ChOctaw Gal

#23 2012-08-24 22:45:23

Flat Rock Farm

Very interesting LBB thanks for the translation :thumbs:

Jenn I didn't know that with the Choctaw Nation, that they were re-located into Oklahoma.  You learn something new everyday.  Unfortunaley history was not one of my stronger subjects in school and most of what we learned was :Canada: history.

#24 2012-08-24 23:21:31

choctawgal
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Very interesting LBB thanks for the translation :thumbs:

Jenn I didn't know that with the Choctaw Nation, that they were re-located into Oklahoma.  You learn something new everyday.  Unfortunaley history was not one of my stronger subjects in school and most of what we learned was :Canada: history.

Hi Paula!

Unfortunately, not many people know about that... I think that its because we were the first Nation to be on the Oklahoma Death March. (Some call it the "Trail of Tears" but that is too pretty a name for what it really was.)  Everyone has heard of the last... the Cherokee Nation.  Kind of like in WW2, everyone has heard of the "Navajo Code Talkers" but few have heard of the "Choctaw Code Talkers" of WW1.

As for school... it seems that no country likes to teach their young about their wrong decisions and actions of the past... so likely your classes probably wouldn't have taught the whole of the subject... as with my education, I had to be in college before the instructors even touched that part of history.

Before the thread gets totally hijacked... LBB, I really liked the translation information... and am now interested in learning more about the Rubia!

Jenn

#25 2012-08-25 01:00:37

Flat Rock Farm

Well after that I did a bit of research, very sad :sad:  I know horrible things were done to Native's on this side of the boarder as well, such a shame.  Post hijacking is allowed as long as we get back to the subject :whistle:

Know I am interested in the Rubia as well :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer