Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-17 02:07:44

Island Girl

USA in March ...

I would like to purchase fertile EO eggs that are as unrelated to my lines as possible. Mine are from Claire and Susan. I can do pick up at my Washington state address in March, will this work for anyone? Please PM me.

XOX Monika

2012-01-17 02:07:44

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-17 11:01:18

Young Heritage

Re: USA in March ...

I would imagine Skyline is the only one with birds old enough to produce hatching eggs by march. May be wrong though.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#3 2012-01-17 17:51:50

Island Girl

Thank you YH, I am still learning who is who in the zoo :P Do you know if these birds are from Claire?

XOX Monika

#4 2012-01-17 18:33:42

NaturesPace
Website

to contact James directly use this email address. skylinepoultry@gmail.com

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#5 2012-01-17 21:40:22

Young Heritage

All EOs in North America came from the same place originally from what we know. Question should probably be, How far removed from Claire's flock is James "Skyline" flock? Unfortunately I do not know the answer to this question.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#6 2012-01-18 07:31:43

Island Girl

James sent me a lovely e-mail but I am still not sure of this either. I think I remember someone saying that somebodies were the furthest removed but can't remember for the life of me who it was. Anyone ?? Just thought that if it was someone is the states and if I have a way of doing this ......

XOX Monika

#7 2012-01-18 10:10:07

Young Heritage

If it were me, I would wait a year or so then look at trading stock between countries. I would imagine by this time next year the genetics in the US will be much better and further removed since there are several of us that have them now.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#8 2012-01-18 16:06:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I agree, I'd wait a year, I don't think there's as much of an advantage just yet.  It's probably Black Horse Ranch in Alberta you are thinking of, and anyone else who got the birds from Preservation Genetique in QC in 2008.  I think you have exhausted any local sources that you thougt had them, right?  I have none of the BHR blood in my birds yet, though Susan and PG do.  There's also a Russian lady in Southern Ontario who got I think was the only one to get eggs from me in 2009 that would have less related, and we only got 2 chicks that year.

Skylines definitely didn't come directly from me, but I think somewhere down the road they are from my original trio!  Hence the friendliness!

#9 2012-01-18 18:09:32

Island Girl

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

I agree, I'd wait a year, I don't think there's as much of an advantage just yet.  It's probably Black Horse Ranch in Alberta you are thinking of, and anyone else who got the birds from Preservation Genetique in QC in 2008.  I think you have exhausted any local sources that you thought had them, right?  I have none of the BHR blood in my birds yet, though Susan and PG do.  There's also a Russian lady in Southern Ontario who got I think was the only one to get eggs from me in 2009 that would have less related, and we only got 2 chicks that year.

Skylines definitely didn't come directly from me, but I think somewhere down the road they are from my original trio!  Hence the friendliness!

I see, got it now! Thank you as always claire-ifying things for me :P I will do that then, wait a year for things to be further removed for less inbreeding! Debbie is on Susan's list and I am hoping that I can be on your list Claire and I will take some as soon as you believe it is safe to send some. For myself then, for breeding, it would be best for me to breed my birds from you to the birds from Susan, correct? So technically I should keep a roo from yours and 1 from Susan's and then and of course hens from each group and then breed accordingly? Would it be good to keep one line completely away from BHR's birds or the more mix the better?

I am still trying to track down a couple of people who may have EOs around here, :huh: they are not easy to get a hold of! But I am on a mission :duh:

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-01-18 18:10:11)

#10 2013-09-16 18:28:16

choctawgal
Website

I was thinking of you today, Monika.  Hope you are well!

I have three Marraduna EOs I hatched from Megan Miranda in southern CA.  They imported their stock directly from Spain.  They passed the quarantine and red tape required by the US avian health folks, and started selling eggs last spring.

These three, 2 cockerels and 1 pullet, are such a robust color and very nice type so far, at 5 weeks old.  I'll try to get pics soon.  One cockerel I particularly like, the other won't be used for breeding, as he has a large feathered skin tag (very much like an ear tuft on a true Araucana!!) on the throat area of his neck!  The pullet is very sweet and pretty; a rich buff/salmon coloration... the little black flecks are starting to develop on her neck.

If all goes well, I will have eggs from the newest US line available next spring/summer!

Jenn
off to build a pigpen and finish canning apples!

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

Adverts

Board footer