Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-07-03 13:58:54

Rexceptional

Greetings from Pea Green, Colorado!

Hi all;
Rex here, I'm on Skyline's waiting list for eggs (#9!) so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I have first hand experience to add to the forum.  Currently raising Silver Grey Dorkings, Mottled Java, Speckled Sussex, Blue & Black Langshans, Australorps, Anconas, Black Leghorns, Easter Eggers, New Hampshires, Buff Cornish, Welsummers, Barred & Partridge Rocks, Blue Andalusians, Blue Jersey Giants, Saxony & Indian Runner Ducks, Grass fed Coriente Beef, & Blue Butt Pigs.  I hope I didn't leave anyone out!
I prefer dual purpose Heritage breeds, extra large eggs and good personalities, so it sounds like EO is perfect for my needs, but I do need to ask: no one has mentioned using them as a table bird, are any of you eating your extra roos?  Are they a good meat bird?  Have I committed heresy by suggesting eating them?:eat:
Cheers!
Rex

2011-07-03 13:58:54

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-07-03 14:32:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: Greetings from Pea Green, Colorado!

Welcome Rex! So happy to meet you =D

I will be eating some EOs this year...i think it might be considered heresy by some but we can't forget these are dual purpose chickens. :eat:

Silver grey dorking you say...we will have to talk dorks sometime as well it seems :thumbs:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2011-07-03 14:34:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:welcome:  we are so pleased to meet you! You have a wonderful selection of breeds, we love dual purpose with nice personalities too.  We have recently downsized but loved the Welsummers, Dorkings, Andalusians.  I just met some wonderful speckled and light sussex an hour from here and I could be very tempted.  We went to a poultry seminar and a speckled Sussex hen was one of the birds brought for critique and that hen followed the speaker around to the corners of the cage he was nearest too, then when critiquing she fell asleep while he was holding her.  I was very impressed with her, oh and she laid an egg!

I think Stefan (Gubi) recently ate at least one roo and said he was delicious, lots of meat for a family of 5 with leftovers.  Well, with some of these new links, you can see they really can be a production birds for meat!  I guess the slow food movement they are part of isn't just eggs :eat:    In all our other breeds, we eat our extra roos the ones we don't sell for pets, and it's always easier to eat the ornery ones and the ones you haven't fallen in love with.

At least you can spot the boys at 2-3 weeks (and not fall in love with them) and maybe we'll figure it out earlier if we are observant!   The first year we thought Speckled Jim was a female til about 6 months as he was so friendly!

Anyway welcome, I am excited for you, they will fit right in your flock!  :thumbsup:

#4 2011-07-03 14:34:19

Rexceptional

I forgot the turkeys!  Black Spanish, Blue Slate & Bourbon Reds...Sorry, Turkeys :huh:

#5 2011-07-03 14:37:22

Rexceptional

Thanks, Poplar Girl & Skeffling!

#6 2011-07-03 14:59:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Turkeys are awesome too!  We had bourbon reds, blue slates and beltsville small whites last year too...will have them again!  The BRs were the friendliest and the tastiest :eat:

#7 2011-07-03 15:05:15

Susan
Administrator

Welcome to the forum! What a great assortment of birds you have. I'm with PG, but I want to talk saxonies- I love mine. BTW- what on earth is a blue butt pig- sounds interesting :)

#8 2011-07-03 16:04:34

Rexceptional

I'm loving my saxony ducks, too!  Their feed conversion is amazing, and they are very calm.  Blue Butts are a Hampshire X Yorkshire cross, mostly white like the yorkshire but with big blue spots from the Hampshire side.   mmm, bacon!

#9 2011-07-03 16:28:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Home made bacon is the best!  :eat:  And sausages! =D  Hope we raise some weaners one of these years!

#10 2011-07-03 18:07:08

gubi
Website

Welcome to EO site! We used to have some Hamp/York cross pigs when I was growing up in Switzerland.  They made wonderful sows, we used to cross them with a landrace boar.  Nowadays the Hamps have almost completely disappeared because the consumer doesn't want any black skin on his bacon and producers get heavily discounted for a pig that has some blue or black on it in Canada.
We harvested our first three EO roosters at 16 weeks old.  We ate one so far and everyone liked it.  There was a good amount of meat on him too.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2011-07-03 18:34:53

Flat Rock Farm

:welcome: I am new here too, so far so good.  You asked if we eat them :sad: no way, they are too darn friendly I just can't do it.  LOL

Adverts

Board footer