Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-13 02:45:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

My birds are in their breeding pens! Pic heavy!

Everyone has settled in since Sunday when they were rearranged.  I have a new name for Blondies daughter who is up with the Wheatens Ameraucanas with the other spares.  "Drive-by".  She was very timid but is getting more confident and moves at high speed and is now totally greedy.  I think she can move faster than my Sumatras and that is saying something!

The breeding EOs are in three pens and the extra young boys in the batchelor pad.   One of them in there (the tamest spare) has learned Specky's trick from last year of jumping up to see me over the 2 foot high plywood in their dividing wall of the their run (to block their view of the neighbouring hens).  I was checking out the neigbouring chanties the other morning, and I thought the boys were scuffling or fighting as something kept comign up against the wood, when I paid a bit more attention, I relaized it was that same EO trying to see me!

Here's Specky and the girls.  We are getting mini eggs for now, but I didn't want to put Specky in with the bachelors as he is nearly 4 and I didn't want them bugging him!  He is kind to my little pullets, I figured he would be.  I think the greedy button gets hit once they start to lay they are now among the noisiest  beggars I have when they know I have bread!  Specky picks up the bread, tells them about it and they swarm him for it!

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012058.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012061.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012064.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012070.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012075.jpg

Blondie and Curly.  He has a lot of brown on his back but that dark grey chest.  He's widened up even more this summer.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012006.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012005.jpg

The Sonny Jim and the mothers from last year. 

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012018.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012014.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Breedingpens2012016.jpg

2012-01-13 02:45:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-13 03:04:47

Flat Rock Farm

Re: My birds are in their breeding pens! Pic heavy!

Oh it looks like you have paired them up nicely.  Sonny Jim had really turned out to be a fine looking boy.  Can I put in a request  for some eggs :please: from his group??  :love:

#3 2012-01-13 03:08:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Absolutely Paula.  :hatch:  Those Mommas are greedy, they totally know when I have a bread bag!  I saw one snatch some bread from his beak today, mind you he was telling them to!  He's gentleman like his Dad.

#4 2012-01-13 03:26:51

Lindy Lou

I am really tempted to request a dozen eggs to hatch from you Claire. After all John is building me a brooder room and he does have a new untried Hovabator :whistle:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2012-01-13 03:29:18

Flat Rock Farm

Well Lynn there is nothing holding you back then.........go for it :cheer:

Thanks Claire, I will let you know when I am looking to start the incubator.  Hopefully after I get back from my trip.  Can't wait to start.......:hatch:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-01-13 03:30:53)

#6 2012-01-13 03:45:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

No problem, both of you,  it'll be a month at least before anything is pure and I was going to get a hatch underway to test fertility.  Good plan to christen the incubator with EOs!  Maybe we'll have to line up a breccy around then :eat: and I can bring the eggs! :funny: 

If I have any Llav Orps Lynn do you want me to (gently) lob one or two in?  Not sure on the  lav Ameraucanas early on, maybe one or two, they are booked up at least 8-10 weeks already!

Congratulations on the impending hatching setup too! :wine:

#7 2012-01-13 12:48:07

poplar girl
Administrator

Oh that is a sight to see! Lovely :love: Thank you for the :pics: What nice big winter breeding pens they have!

I love the look of Specky and his daughters. I don't think I have ever seen legs so yellow as theirs, probably because they are justing at point of lay so in amazing condition right now. Specky's legs are yellow too right Claire? :please: that is the breeding pen I would like my eggs from in the spring (March 26th mailing you have me down right...I am vibrating with excitement!) :chickout:

Sonny Jim is a very handsome fellow as well!

:thanks: for posting these....you made my morning. :snowman:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2012-01-13 13:24:24

gubi
Website

Your chickens look fantastic!  All freshly moulted.  What do you feed your youngsters?  There leg colours are so vivid.  Speckled Jim and his girls should throw some fantastic offspring.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2012-01-13 13:52:42

Lindy Lou

Probably I'll be ready for eggs around the time of our trip. A couple of Lavenders of Orps and Americaunas would be lovely. Just let me know when you are ready and we can sort out the delivery details. :chickout:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#10 2012-01-13 14:37:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks all!  I love them!  They are in fine fettle this morning, begging for ....corn.  I think that is the source of their color.  They are all on 16 or 17% layer pellets too!  Because we had so few young this year, they ended up starting on the non-med chick starter from the ducks we hatched for our friend, then they actually got the higher protein game feeder as the grower, as there were so few and that's what the adults got all year, but they haven't been on that for a couple of months now.  Those legs'll fade soon enough!  We've had molting on all the year olds since Sept, the EO started later. 

I need to cut the corn down and actually have been, but with the lack of lay in the early winter in the adults, we thought maybe they were too well fed, they do look fat and glossy!  I have been giving the adults black sunflower seeds too and trying to give that instead of corn on the cold days, they just leave everything in the scratch 'cept corn til about March.  I am amazed how gold they look in the pics too.  They are so hard to photograph co they want to be right near you and the flash or sunshine makes it's hard to see real feather colour.

Overall my hens are all still not laying the best, but we have had green eggs this week which we never had since the summer  apart from a couple of tiny pullet eggs :oops: so that's why I want to check the lighting and make sure it is not a factor.  The bulk of our flock is 18 months  and older and some much older, so I am watching the laying carefully.  It's easier to keep track now they are in pens.  We will put them on the breeder feed again, but not yet.

I have a feeling we'll get some red mottled pullets from Specky and the two mottliest girls.  But time will tell.  Sonny Jim's women are one yellow legger and two white leggers, but with Specky (he has pale yellow I think they may have been bright once in that first winter pic) they produced over 2/3-3/4 yellow leggers last year.  Sonny Jim has one very small bump on the right side of his comb-side sprig, but I had to use him! 

I'd love to use  Sunny who is in the bachelor pen but his legs are so white and so are Blondies, so I am hoping for some more curlyxblondie chicks this year but not holding my breath, she is nearly 4 and he has one heck of a limp now.

Well figure something out Lynn!

#11 2012-01-13 15:31:53

Flat Rock Farm

Well an egg swap/breakfast sounds great.  That way I can give you the Wheaton Maran eggs you wanted as well.  Just not sure 100% when I will fire up the incubator, with my coming and goings :whistle:

#12 2012-01-13 15:53:16

gubi
Website

I got a very deep blue/green coloured egg the other day and am wondering if maybe the Wheaten Am from you started to lay finally, it was almost like my call duck eggs were last year colored through and through.  I haven't hardly had any green/blue eggs, only 1-2 a day and I have about 8 EE pullets hatched In June and 4 old hens so I should be getting lots of green eggs.  Good thing my EO's and Spitzhaubens are laying really well right now.  I'm feeding some mixed grains(barley/oats) and some corn too this winter alongside of the laymash. 

Anyone have any cuckoo Marans eggs for sale or swap?  My son(5) informed me he wants a Marans hen again. 

PG have a look at Speckies beak how nice an yellow it is compared to Curlies.  Even when the legs fade you can still see it on the beak.  It will fade too but not as much as the legs.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#13 2012-01-13 16:11:08

poplar girl
Administrator

gubi wrote:

PG have a look at Speckies beak how nice an yellow it is compared to Curlies.  Even when the legs fade you can still see it on the beak.  It will fade too but not as much as the legs.

Good point gubi, you are absolutely right :thumbs:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#14 2012-01-13 18:37:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

You are right Stefan, I had looked before and noticed that, but it's amazing how clear everything becomes in a photo.

Paula, I can always check fertility for you on them if they've had the 4 week segregation for pure, I think we will have all sorts hatching then so if we only ended up with a couple, I can get more later, and they'd have company.  Just a thought if we happen to be getting together, earlier on, before your ready.  No biggie. :jumping: Just so excited!

It could he hers, they are not super intense, but I guess they probably were to start with.  Definitely same colour inside and out. The lavs lay a deeper darker blue colour that does green after a few hours, the wheatens stay more pale bluey.  We don't have the Cuckoos.  Pops has some I think Stefan and the eggs very dark.  Better than any we had.  :applause:

#15 2012-01-13 19:09:53

Lindy Lou

Paula & I along with the hubbies are planning a breakfast get together at The PostTime in Arthur on the 22nd of this month. We would love to have you join us as well as Lisa & Doug & Helen too.
What do you think guys?

#16 2012-01-13 19:46:05

Flat Rock Farm

Oh and Bessie and Mike as well, I haven't seen her on the site for awhile.  Anyone else in the area would like to join us, the more the merrier :wine: :snowman:

#17 2012-01-13 19:51:23

Lindy Lou

Absolutely. It would be wonderful if Mike & Bessie could come too.

#18 2012-01-13 21:20:04

Island Girl

Oh I can only wish :hi:

XOX Monika

#19 2012-01-13 21:21:06

Island Girl

Could you put me down for some more eggs too Claire =D  I just can't get over the beautiful color of the legs and beaks, what a vibrant yellow! I would like eggs from the Jim and his ladies if possible.

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl (2012-01-13 21:22:31)

#20 2012-01-13 23:11:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

My chickens have glow in the dark digits :funny:  They are certainly bright.  I really don't know where it came from, Specky I spoze as half the mothers were white leggers.  I am so glad Sonny Jim is yellow beaked, maybe it'll work again, though I lost one of the yellow leggers in the spring, she went missing first week they were out of the breeding pen :sad:  friendliest of the lot of course :stomp:

The BLRWS from BC had legs that yellow and no other birds we've had here!  My chanties have a distinctly charcoal finish on their yellow underpinnings.   

Yes I can do that Monika, no problem.  :hatch: :thumbs:  Breccy sounds good, will check with Nathan!  :whistle:

Adverts

Board footer