Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-10 14:28:34

Maggiesdad

Feeding EOs 8 weeks and up...

What % protein do you folks recommend for feeding EO chooks 8wks and up?

While I'm willing to really test these guys on their free range skills at a later date, I really want to provide my starter flock with a first rate diet to set a baseline of what to expect as far as growth rates.

Thanks in advance,
Glen

2012-01-10 14:28:34

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-10 17:36:18

Island Girl

Re: Feeding EOs 8 weeks and up...

:goodthread: Hi Glen, I start my chicks off with a 20% medicated chick starter to help fend off cocci, my little guys are 6 1/2 weeks old now and I just ran out of that feed. I didn't want to buy another huge bag of it and had a waiting bag of their 'grower' so they went on it yesterday, a little early! The grower (non-med) is a nice sized crumble, larger than the chick food but no where near pellet size. I am pretty sure it is 18% and they stay on that until they are 16 weeks old and then go onto a 16% layer pellet. I am curious what other do to, there is always room for improvement.

XOX Monika

#3 2012-01-10 17:55:53

Young Heritage

I start off with 20% Gamebird starter/grower and then transition over to 16% layer when they are at POL. Both non-medicated.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#4 2012-01-10 18:22:59

Flat Rock Farm

Chick starter(medicated) until they are four weeks or until the bag runs out.......  then chick grower/finisher until about five months old or until the bag runs out....... then a layer crumb after that mixed with scratch grain.  Also once they are old enough they get leftovers, rice, veggies, bread ect.  I plant lettuce just for them in my veggie garden as well, that's if the geese don't get to it first :duh:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-01-10 18:23:28)

#5 2012-01-11 00:51:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We do the same as IG!  I have bought birds before from show breeders and they have them on super high protein and I have noticed the birds smell, :sick: like almost "diapery" .... :huh: after a few days here they started to smell normal (or of nothing), just a wierd thing I noticed.

We managed to go non medicated this year.  I did a favour and hatched some ducklings for someone and we had so few chicks I thought I'd use the extra non-med feed this year.  They were fine.

#6 2012-01-11 01:25:32

poplar girl
Administrator

I like to feed medicated starter for 7-8 weeks. Then for about a week I will go 50:50 starter grower and then 100% grower. I think the grower is at 16% protein and as IG said, nice big crumbles.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2012-01-11 01:33:40

Maggiesdad

Thanks for all the replies!

I know that smell, Claire! I ran a 5lb bag of MannaPro medicated through them just to be on the safe side, then switched them to 24% non-med. They are thriving, but high smelling. :P
They also get free choice screened alfalfa, since they can't free range yet. The ol' Red Tailed Hawk has been hanging out around here. :sad:

#8 2012-01-11 02:19:56

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Looks like your hawk has taken 8 weeks to find dinner :nervous:  We have lost chickens we think to the same here, I had them free ranging in a huge electric fenced area and lost 3 in 2010, no bodies no feathers, numbers come up short and always females! :stomp:  We live on a  hill and the birds like the thermals.  Hope your guys are OK.  Can you put wire over a fenced in run for a start til they grow up more?

#9 2012-01-24 04:19:42

Maggiesdad

My oldest daughter and I put new bands on my Round One chooks (10wks) today, we also banded the Round Two chicks (6.5wks) for the first time. We weighed all 23 birds, and took photos of them for the record. I haven't had time to process, file and post everything yet - but it was an interesting milestone for us because we've burned up 100lb of chick starter plus the two 5lb bags of medicated we started each batch on.

So for 110lb of chick starter, we have  48.5lbs of bird in the feather.  That doesn't seem too shabby so far.

R.1. - 11 birds - 10wks - 30.75lb tot.
R.2. - 12 birds - 6.5wks - 17.8lb tot.

#10 2012-01-24 04:31:45

Maggiesdad

Some of the big ones...

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-r_kK5_8HhMM/Tx4zyPmaLII/AAAAAAAAAuU/LFoC5LeX8QY/s720/DSC_1412.JPG

#11 2012-01-24 12:35:40

poplar girl
Administrator

That doesn't sound like too bad a feed conversion ratio does it?  And they are looking very nice (as is your weather compared to up here in the great white north :snowman:)

One of the websites said birds should be 2kg (4.4 lbs) by 13 weeks. I am not sure if this would perhaps just be roosters? Since you have collected some weight data on yours at younger ages it will be really interesting to see if the biggest birds early on are also the biggest in a few weeks time. And how they weight in and how that feed conversion holds....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#12 2012-01-24 13:23:54

Maggiesdad

My thoughts exactly! Since we have so little data it's the least I can do.

Maggie and I have plotted the growth of our Black Quartet, and they have continued to grow a the same pace since we got them. I'm curious to see if they peak now that they've started laying. We weight the first of each month. My thoughts lean more and more to these being hatchery JGs, one of the girls lays a nice big medium brown egg with darker brown freckles. :applause:

#13 2012-01-24 14:54:28

Flat Rock Farm

Love the picture Glen, they sure have grown and look beautiful :love:

#14 2012-01-24 23:53:51

choctawgal
Website

MD, Wow!  They are sure beautiful birds!!  :thumbs:  I'm really interested to hear about their final feed conversion ratio as well!!

I've been using medicated starter to start chicks, since I lost 12 of 15 JG's to cocci last Fall.  OUCH!! :banginghead:  It happened to a friend's JG's too... We're not buying from that source again! (one of the local feed stores)  Then, at 8 weeks (or a little longer if I still have starter left) I go to a grower formulation until POL, then feed a complete layer pellet.  This is in addition to free ranging on 2.4 acres and occasional scratch and veggie trimmings/leftover grain and pasta.  (And curds when I have a cheese fail. :stomp: )

Jenn

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#15 2012-01-25 01:09:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Gorgeous little birds.  Big feet too!  :love: That's great you are keeping such good records Glen.  We will all learn from them.  That is pretty impressive feed conversion.  I guess that's why they are in the Slow Food Ark of taste. 

I bet your Black quartet keep growing a while yet.  Depending on the breed, the difference in size between even one year old and two years old is actually noticeable! 

Yes cocci is horrible, not something you want to repeat.  We had  a bad bout in 2010 even with medicated feed.  I said we'd never go non-med feed again, but last year we just had a handful of chicks raised by broodies and 7/8ths of a bag of leftover unmed feed!  This year it'll be medicated as they'll be bator hatched!

#16 2012-10-16 16:57:10

mikencarol

How many are trying CR's Fermenting Feed recipe???  I have been doing it a couple or three weeks and can definately tell a difference in my birds...especially my Turkeys.  My EO's just look heavier although I don't pick them up on a daily basis.  It is more work but if they utilize the food better.....it will save money in the long run

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#17 2012-10-16 18:17:41

Maggiesdad

I have tried it, the birds loved it and I will do it again in the future. But it is messy and takes more time , and I'm trying to keep the feeding routine to a minimum while I'm in the pen building phase.

#18 2012-10-16 21:20:15

mikencarol

:thumbs:....I hear that.  I thought I was thru pen building and then....you guys and EO's. :EO: Now I build a new pen and figure out I need 3 more.  Yes it is messy, but I've about got a routine down.  I am also feeding the majority of the fermenting water and using a small ammount to start the next batch.  My Chickens said they will do business at a different bar if I quit serving it:wine:  I think I saw results faster on my Turkeys because of their need for a higher protein feed and by adding yeast and ACV, I think I am raising my protein level :jumping:

I have to keep reminding myself... "It is The Standard of Perfection...NOT the Standard of Quantity that we are striving for..."

#19 2012-10-16 22:19:33

Flat Rock Farm

This is the first that I have heard of this Fermenting Feed Recipe, what is it, what's involved and how is it beneficial to poultry???  Just curious :huh:

#20 2012-10-17 00:01:19

Maggiesdad

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

This is the first that I have heard of this Fermenting Feed Recipe, what is it, what's involved and how is it beneficial to poultry???  Just curious :huh:

1900+  posts in this thread... You can jump in anywhere  and get the gist of it - you don't have to read the whole thing.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/64430 … birds/1900

My opinion? By wetting and starting a partial ferment with yeasts and vinegar mother, the birds are getting the same benefits of eating pre-plumped, pre-digested grains from horse and cow manure in a barnyard setting...

#21 2012-10-17 00:21:20

Susan
Administrator

That's a very well condensed way of explaining it MD! :wise:

#22 2012-10-17 01:47:02

Maggiesdad

:funny:

'Scuse me, I'm a rooster and I don't have any teeth... would you mind terribly wetting this down and chewing it a bit for me, please?!

Mmmmm...  thank you! :eat:

#23 2012-10-17 05:19:38

appway

all my birds are raised on Turkey starter and then they go on Turkey Grower at about 2 months at about 3 montha they go on turkey grower for a couple weeks then they get Turkey Grower mixed with whole oats and wheat until around 5 months then they get grower mixed with layer and whole oats and wheat.
I like the Turkey grower as it is a higher protein

#24 2012-10-17 06:16:21

NaturesPace
Website

I have been giving FF every day or every other. I use it as a treat or a way to get them back to the area I want them. They all love it! My Guineas don't care for it at all.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#25 2012-10-17 06:20:23

NaturesPace
Website

Oh also, I have started using a bucket that I ferment the feed and scoop it out with a kitty litter scoop. I also just throw it out on the ground like you would scratch. It's always a big hit. I have forgotten to give it for 5 days or more and it gets STRONG. The birds still love it.

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

Adverts

Board footer