Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-06 21:15:01

eatmorechicken

Greetings from Peterborough!!

Hello all,

I have been interested in chickens for a very long time but started doing intensive research a few months ago. My wife and I would love to start with some chickens this spring. We have a 2 acre property and I would like our future coop to hold about 20 chickens. Predators like coyote, fox and raccoons are a problem so a permanent structure will be required as I will have to bury the fencing in an outdoor run. Free-ranging will be allowed when we are there - but would love to opt for an enclosed run so they can come out during the day when we are not there.

My goal for posting here is to build my chicken network - meeting people all over Ontario but specifically in the Kawartha Lakes region. That way I will hopefully get to see first hand multiple breeds in action. I have fallen in love with many a breed, but have read through many post's that Claire has posted, and think that EO's would be a wonderful choice. I was re-introduced to EO's the other day through forum banter with Lisa, so I decided to join this forum to meet other EO people!!!

So I look forward to chatting and meeting more of you in the near future. Any advice is appreciated!!

Have a great day,

eatmorechicken

My wife and I are researching to begin our chicken adventure in 2012. We have 2 acres of property located just outside of the city. Bees are also a desire in 2012 as well and we have multiple flower gardens to keep them entertained. Long-term dream is to have a goat, goose and maybe even a llama - only because my wife won't let me have a bison. Owners of 6 cats - 1 male and 5 female.

2012-01-06 21:15:01

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-06 21:24:51

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Greetings from Peterborough!!

eatmorechicken.........:welcome:, love you user name :thumbs:  I hope you enjoy the site, I must say we are pretty friendly bunch on here and as you will find out :EO: :cheer:

#3 2012-01-06 21:46:49

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: to our friendly forum! Sounds like you and your wife are in for a fun year building a coop and pen and picking out some chickens to fill it...my advice would be to build the coop a bit bigger than you think you'll need :wise: Even if you eat alot of chicken you might find you end up wanting to own a few more than you first though :whistle:
:EO: , I don't think you could go wrong with them if that ends up being the breed you choose. Beautiful, friendly, productive and hardy, what more could you ask for?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2012-01-06 22:15:54

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hey Eatmore, great to see you on the site! :welcome: The Euskal Oiloa certainly have a lot of great qualities.  Gubi has eaten them and it sounds like they are delicious! :eat:  We'll be doing ours, a  couple of extra roos.  We thought we were moving last year and didn't hatch many, then they were later in August, so they were not quite ready by the time it got cold.

I sometimes work over in Lindsay for 4 days at a time (though I haven't been asked just yet this year!) and have been known to bring eggs and chicks with me :doI?:  I think HobbyChicken on ACE is just a bit east and Amblecroft, on here, can't be that far South of you.

#5 2012-01-06 23:52:51

Maggiesdad

:welcome: From Louisa County, VA, eatmorechicken !

Looks like 2012 is going to be a great year for you and your wife - We just started keeping chickens last Sept, so here's to newbies! :wine:

#6 2012-01-06 23:58:38

Susan
Administrator

:welcome: eatmorechicken! Nice to have you here. It is wonderful that you and your wife are both excited about this. Makes it even more fun. I think you couldn't pick a better breed than EOs to start out with. They are everything everyone here has already said and very hardy as well :)

#7 2012-01-07 01:49:49

gubi
Website

:welcome: from Huron County.  :EO: and yes the extra roosters tasted great and have a decent amount of meat on them.  They are supposed to reach 2kg by 13 weeks.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-01-07 05:09:27

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

:welcome:

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#9 2012-01-07 13:51:46

Lisa

EMC,

:welcome:  Good to see you here.... =D Gotta warn you though, by hanging out on this forum, you are going to have less space available in your coop for the other breeds you want!!!! :whistle:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#10 2012-01-07 23:23:25

Flat Rock Farm

Lisa wrote:

EMC,

:welcome:  Good to see you here.... =D Gotta warn you though, by hanging out on this forum, you are going to have less space available in your coop for the other breeds you want!!!! :whistle:

I can testify to that, I started out having two pens for chickens, now I have 14 :nervous: Beware EMC there are far too many pretty chickens and they are extremely addictive :whistle:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2012-01-07 23:23:44)

#11 2012-01-08 01:00:44

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It certainly is an addition!  I only wanted a dozen or so chanteclers and Cuckoo marans for eggs 5 years ago :whistle:

#12 2012-01-08 01:42:40

cj's coop

Look at me i started out with 10 birds.Now i have over 200 birds.I blame it all on POPS an SUSAN.lol

Farm bred country raised

#13 2012-01-08 02:15:16

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yep it's easily done!

#14 2012-01-08 02:17:55

pops coops
Website

Welcome if you want to eatmore chicken then PLEASE don't name them  :EO:

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#15 2012-01-08 02:47:05

eatmorechicken

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the words of encouragement thus far. I am always entertained by the people I meet on these forums. And it is definitely nice to see other new chicken people on here as well :)

Claire - I just wanted to confirm - does hobbychicken have EO's?? Or what breeds does she have from you? I know she has Buff Orps. And small world I just learned that a local 4H leader who knows Eadie is someone I went to high school with. And she breeds and shows chickens as well. Looks like Light Brahma may be on my list in the near future as well. LOL.

And I can definitely get how chickens can be addictive. Went over to the Mother-in-Law's house for a belated Christmas dinner (snowbird, just came back from Florida) - and I took TWO chicken books with me. I was showing them different parts of coop construction, educating them on the different breeds. I had a lot of FUN. And although I promised my wife we would start out with 4-6 hens - I am making the coop big enough for 20, JUST IN CASE. :)

As far as my nickname goes pops coops - we were hoping to start out with either pullets or sexed chicks, because we plan on keeping our hens for many years - they are not planned to be soup in a year. If we get straight run chicks right out of the gate - my luck they would be all cockerels. Besides making enemies with my neighbours,  I am not sure if I could stare my cockerels in the eye before I have them for lunch. I need to work up to that.

My wife and I are researching to begin our chicken adventure in 2012. We have 2 acres of property located just outside of the city. Bees are also a desire in 2012 as well and we have multiple flower gardens to keep them entertained. Long-term dream is to have a goat, goose and maybe even a llama - only because my wife won't let me have a bison. Owners of 6 cats - 1 male and 5 female.

#16 2012-01-08 03:03:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The nearest person with EOs I think is Amblecroft or anyone else the person in the Peterborough area she got them from sold to or she should have them.  I think Hobbychicken has Orps.  I don't think she still has any birds from me.  She got hatchery Wellies from me in about 3 years ago, and a BCM - type roo back then too.  I think she may have US marans.  I haven't been on the forums much in the last 6 months so since setting up the forum here, and with all the moving house stuff, so am out of touch.

#17 2012-01-08 03:32:01

eatmorechicken

That is fine. I appreciate your reply. I can only imagine how busy you have been in those 6 months. I have been in contact with Amblecroft in the last few days, and I sent an email to hobbychicken to see what she has right now.

#18 2012-01-08 03:45:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Awesome, sounds like you are well on the way to chickenhood! :thumbs:  :chook: :cheer:

#19 2012-01-08 13:09:08

Maggiesdad

eatmorechicken wrote:

And I can definitely get how chickens can be addictive. Went over to the Mother-in-Law's house for a belated Christmas dinner (snowbird, just came back from Florida) - and I took TWO chicken books with me. I was showing them different parts of coop construction, educating them on the different breeds. .

:funny: :funny: We went to a friend's the other evening and after about 20 min of conversation, he said "Can we talk about something other than chickens?" I gave him a blank look and said Well what else is there to talk about?! :funny:

#20 2012-01-08 13:16:58

eatmorechicken

Exactly maggiesdad!!

Everyone tried to find something else to do other than listen to me. They decided to play cards - so I sat at the table and read MY books, all the while adding the ooh's and aah's that probably brought a few eye-rolls. I am sure they think something is wrong with me, and i think they are right. I have Chicken fever!!!! :thumbsup:

#21 2012-01-08 14:42:05

poplar girl
Administrator

Ah yes, Chicken fever :sad: Just tell them is not highly contagious, only a small percent of the population is susceptible. But for those that do catch it chances of recovery are pretty low, it can easily last years, decades or a lifetime! :wise: Luckily you have joined support groups early...just don't tell anyone that we enable instead of discourage :whistle:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#22 2012-01-08 15:17:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It's funny, Nathan says he would call the chicken fever crowd a wierd sub-culture, but there's too many people with it, it;s a culture instead!

Eatmore, so you have the Storey Guide to poultry breeds?  It's a must for the chicken-starved chicken fancier!

#23 2012-01-08 15:24:49

Flat Rock Farm

Maggiesdad wrote:

eatmorechicken wrote:

And I can definitely get how chickens can be addictive. Went over to the Mother-in-Law's house for a belated Christmas dinner (snowbird, just came back from Florida) - and I took TWO chicken books with me. I was showing them different parts of coop construction, educating them on the different breeds. .

:funny: :funny: We went to a friend's the other evening and after about 20 min of conversation, he said "Can we talk about something other than chickens?" I gave him a blank look and said Well what else is there to talk about?! :funny:

That's why the few of us that are fairly close like to get together over breakfast/dinner so that we have others to talk chicken with.  I had to laugh at the last get together at Lindy Lou's the chicken folk sat at the dinning room table and the "others" sat in the living room. :funny:

#24 2012-01-08 15:35:41

eatmorechicken

lol FRF - "others" :lol:

Claire - yes I do have the Storey book.  it is my favorite :) I also have the dummies books, the joy of keeping chickens, and am currently reading a new one that I was directed to called "The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An all-natural approach to raising chickens and other fowl for home and market grower" by Harvey Ussery. Seems like a great book - I am only on Chapter 3 so far - just started it this morning.

#25 2012-01-08 21:00:57

choctawgal
Website

Welcome to our obsessed family, EMC!  :welcome:

WARNING: Once you get started, it will take over your life... I found the joys and pitfalls of "Chicken Math" less than a year ago.  It starts innocently... first you intend to get five or so pullets from the feed store and come home with five each of 3 or 4 breeds (mine were Cuckoo Marans, Wellsummers, Light Brahmas, and Ameracaunas) that were there and one chicken book... Then you join a chicken forum or two and get introduced to others... and on it goes until you have 70-ish or so... :whistle:

Then you get an incubator and look at all the different pretty and useful breeds that you want to hatch and watch grow.... (I got 2 'bators and a turner for Christmas!)  :hatch:

Then, if you are at all like me, the feed store lady finds out you're a sucker and gives you the crippled and/or blind chicks (of course you have to buy a couple more "to give the little one company!")... and on it goes!

This is just a hypothetical (cough, cough) cautionary tale... not to resemble anyone in real life :whistle: :funny:

Chicken-osis is a condition that (I hope) is not curable and often quite progressive!  LOL

Welcome! :thumbsup: from Jenn in Vancouver, WA!

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

Adverts

Board footer