Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2012-01-03 03:24:41

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

2011 EO Young un's approx 18 weeks old. Pic laden!

OK, here's more babies grown up.  didn't get Blondies (and Curly's) mousy little daughter, but I got her son, Sunny.  She's too small to use for breeding I think.  He had the white head dot.

Here's Sunny inside!  He is barred all over, taller and slimmer than Jims boys.  Curly is taller and more slender.
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8858.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8859.jpg

Here's Sonny Jim and his sisters, I have to grey/peach white/blue leggers boys (one is the honker - sounds like a goose, about every 15 seconds).  Two that are getting more black as time goes on.

I think the big pullet on right is laying, she is slightly mottled so is another smaller one then we have two medium very mottled golden pullets.  I have to leg band them as I can barely tell the two mottled girls apart,  one had a touch more white on her

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8809.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8810.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8806.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8810.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8803.jpg

3 of Speckys boys -the honker :eat:
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8807.jpg

Sonny Jim
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8802.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8862.jpg
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8805.jpg

This dude was a yellow legged standby/keeper? But he gets blacker and taller and thinner each week that goes by!  He is very friendly as is the smaller one that looks like him now.  Will hang onto him for now, think it's the honker in the background
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/IMG_8799.jpg

For breeding, Sonny Jim goes in with the 3 mottled gold moms from last year, Blondie with curly again and Specky with the 4 pullets from this year!  Sunny is cool but he has white legs and so does Blondie, curly has light yellow.  I'd like to use Sunny, but only on yellow legged females.  Maybe later in the summer.

2012-01-03 03:24:41

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2012-01-03 03:47:38

poplar girl
Administrator

Re: 2011 EO Young un's approx 18 weeks old. Pic laden!

Oh wow, some really nice birds there :love: Such beautiful yellow legs.

I think the color of Sonny Jim is very nice. His comb is a bit off, too many tiny points and maybe a side sprig. But I think his type is good.

That pullet you think is laying already is a beauty!

You are going to have some fantastic chicks this spring!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#3 2012-01-03 04:13:07

gubi
Website

What PG said!  I never had a cockerel with such a nice red chest yet!  Do you weigh yours?  I'm hoping to weigh mine at 13 weeks next year to help me make better decisions on who to keep for breeding.
I know what you mean about getting those leg bands on before you don't know who's who anymore.  I got 2 blondies and two marradunas and I'm not 100% sure anymore which is from which hatch!

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#4 2012-01-03 04:41:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

His comb was really wavy a few weeks ago, almost flopped right over!  When he was young I thought he'd have side sprigs, (genetically he probably does) but it looks more like you know when you go to cut a cookie or pastry with the serrated cutter and you mess up and do a double cut so there's like a half line of crinkle....I'll take a pick :pics: its on his right right side near the back.

I love him, he is a sweetheart.  He's the loiterer here, the last to bed.  Makes sure everyone is in OK.  As you can see in a lot of the pics he is facing me most of the time.  He is very brown but there are grey flecks in hi chest.  I bet he he gets a lot more white.  Specky was similar coloured in that pic of him in the snow around 6 months old.  I never knew or remembered he looked like that til I saw that old pic.

The other thing is they are 18 weeks and I can see roo 3 has the white in his tail.  I never noticed it til around 6 months before, guess I know what to look for now.  I think that girlie has been laying at least a week now, nearly 2.  She looks older that 18 weeks, looks like she's working on growing some bloomers! 

I want to weigh mine and think I packed the fish scale I had for it!  It must be in all the boxes in the barn. :banginghead:

#5 2012-01-03 12:38:03

poplar girl
Administrator

Hey Claire your title should be 2011 (not 2010) right?

You are both right about the importance of weighing your birds. One of the web references says they should reach 2kg (4.4 lbs) by 14 to 16 weeks. http://www.lygeum.es/?p=216 I am thinking of weighing at 16 weeks, any potential keepers should be 4.4 lbs by then (presumably this is for cockerels not pullet?). I think some of my pullets are a really nice heavy weight, I should get out the scale.

That white in the tail Claire, I think every rooster from your birds gets it eventually to some degree. Have you had any without it?? Adonis is almost 6 months old now...still no white in his tail! I am really hoping that the black horse ranch line doesn't have it. I wish I had gotten more keepers from that hatch, I only have 2 marraduna girls (one hen, one pullet both white legs) and Adonis. The other rooster I intended to keep developed a crooked toe. I will have to come up with a breeding strategy for spring like yours.  DH has given my the go ahead to hatch lots...like 100 EOs =D I intend to have winter capacity for another 15 to 20 birds next year :snowman:

I was going to stick to hatching from my current flock but oh man, you are making we want eggs badly from either your Specky or Sonny Jim breeding pen :nervous:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#6 2012-01-03 13:40:55

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I've changed it, you are right! :duh:

The weighing, I think in the ALBC they say do it at 8 and 16 weeks I think.http://albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-1.pdf

All the other assessments are on this page, 

http://albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/chickens.html

We haven't had an adult one without it  yet that I know of.  I saw it was an entire white feather in the standard, it seems to start off like a 1/2 white then successive molts they get to be all white.  I think these birds male and female, change colour with each molt which complicates things further :duh: Like Millies, they get more spots as they get older,  or mine are anyway whether the gene should be there or not.

That's great you can hatch and grow so many, I am going to hatch lots and as soon as I can tell they are not want I want I'll sell locally!   I notice Skyline's got a great looking flock and he had over 60 to choose from originally.  Even having 1 or 2 big hatch years will get us so much further on.  We just lucked out this past year. 

You can totally have eggs.  I couldn't choose between Specky or his son, I mean when Specky is gone he is gone, he may not be prefect looking, but he is not bad.  And I didn't want to put Sonny Jim with his sibs as lovely as they are.  I have chanties I can do the same with, but having the EOs separated into a few lines is more important.  The plan is any I ship to anyone will have both lots sharpie-labelled as they'll all be collected at the same time.

#7 2012-01-03 14:52:05

gubi
Website

I'm planning on hatching lots April and May too.  I would like to make fairly large batches so it will be worth for me to drive to the processor.  I love to eat them but hate to butcher them. 
I think that pullet you have there is one that we are trying to produce.  She's fast maturing and looks very correct to me.
The white feathers in the tail and wings are an issue not just with your lines Claire they show up in Spain too and are a minor details in the big picture.  I think where it becomes a problem is where you have a cockerel like my #1 cockerel in my 2011 cockerels thread where his tail is completely white with only a few barred feathers.  I think it's OK for them to get some white with ageing but you don't want too much when they are young I think that's why PG's Standard proposal calls completely white feathers in the tail as a disqualification only and not partially white tail feathers. 
The reason I want to weigh them at 13 weeks is that the cockerels are supposed to reach a weight of 2kg to butcher at that age.  One of the links that is on PG's standard thread has some guidelines on it on how to select breeders.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2012-01-03 19:45:07

NaturesPace
Website

Beautiful! I really like those speckled pullets.

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

OK, here's more babies grown up.  didn't get Blondies (and Curly's) mousy little daughter, but I got her son, Sunny.  She's too small to use for breeding I think.  He had the white head dot.

For breeding, Sonny Jim goes in with the 3 mottled gold moms from last year, Blondie with curly again and Specky with the 4 pullets from this year!  Sunny is cool but he has white legs and so does Blondie, curly has light yellow.  I'd like to use Sunny, but only on yellow legged females.  Maybe later in the summer.

Just a question about the other babies you got from Blondie and Curly. Were the rest of their offspring keepers? do you think the mousy daughter was the "runt" so to speak?

I'm trying to understanding how to decide which birds to match up.
Thanks

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#9 2012-01-03 21:54:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Makes sense Stefan on the white. 
You know, the other hen we had in the original trio looked just like here that big and wide, yellow legs, and even then I thought she was the best.  I have only one good pic of her standing on the side of the dust bath  Blondie was just a narrow little thing her first year :banginghead: shame #21 disappeared, we got 2 red/black pullets that look like full sib from her and Blondie so no idea who was their mother (s)  I'll find her pic.  I am sure I posted it.

Naturespace, I only got 2 chicks from them all year cos we thought we were moving,  I just had Curly and Blondie together late summer when we knew we were staying, they were the only mother son-type combo (she may not even be his mother).  I collected eggs for about 9 days in the summer and a chantecler broody hatched 2 chicks out of them all as I sold my incubators.  So they were my only 2 from them all year.  That little pullet was small from Day one and came out of the same size egg as her big brother!  I had a good idea of their sexes from day one because of their relative sizes.

The other 13 EOs from Jims line came hatched under 2 lav ameraucanas as a joint effort that were chronically broody all summer.  So I really hope Curly and Blondie produce some chicks this year, but curly has a limp that has become worse over the summer, I have checked him and can't see anything wrong but a broken toenail, had him on antibiotics, I hope fertility is OK, I think it is, he certainly tries!  I don't want him to suffer but if it gets much worse I may have to let him go.  I expect their offspring will be pale and pale legged too!  :chickout:

#10 2012-01-04 17:57:22

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Here's a pic of #21 the lost original trio hen, that pullet looks like her, she was wide the first year wen Blondie was still narrow.  #21 was about 6-7 months old there
http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/wintergirls038.jpg

#11 2012-01-04 18:52:46

Flat Rock Farm

Nice looking bunch Claire :thumbs:  Lot of nice yellow leggies

#12 2012-01-04 21:17:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks Paula, I love their bright yellow wellies. :thumbsup:

#13 2012-01-05 00:43:42

gubi
Website

That's a great looking hen.  We will have to get in touch with Alina since she's the only one with offspring from her.

#14 2012-01-05 01:10:50

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Good idea.  She is nice, it's a hard pic to see with her stance but that's the only one of her as an adult I think.  They do look alike don't they?   We could have her offspring, and Alina could have.  Her odds are better than ours as I am sure she got more than 2 chicks in her hatches that year, she just got one batch of eggs so it can't have been more than a dozen. 

Specky has those genes somewhere too, I think as he's her Dad.

#15 2012-01-05 01:13:47

Flat Rock Farm

Hey I was just noticing all of your "orbs" in your pictures as well along with your EO's oohhhh BOOO :nervous:

#16 2012-01-05 01:29:58

gubi
Website

OK I thought this hen was a hatch mate to Specky and Blondie.  I'll have to have a better look at the family tree you sent me last year.  Did you ever get in contact with Alina does she have many EO's?

#17 2012-01-05 09:49:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

She was a hatch-mate of theirs from 2008.  She was #3 of the trio, but we got two red/black females that year (someone kinds incubated eggs for us) and Alina got about 1-2 dozen eggs from me before this hen disappeared (predator we think) late summer 2009.  So we could have those genes in there, and Specky must have them for this pullet to look like she does.  There;s another marked just like her but smaller (not tiny) then the two that are the same but with the black/white

Oh nothing too spooky about the robs Paula.... dust+flash :pics:

#18 2012-01-05 19:55:09

Flat Rock Farm

Maybe not but wow is there quite a few of them, lots of dust in the barn.

#19 2012-01-06 01:29:42

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Certainly is!  It's always been like that.  My camera is driving me nuts too, something is telling it the batteries are low and has been for about 6 months :whistle: and we just got a battery tester and they are fine :banginghead:  I supposes it has taken thousand of pics but still :wise:

Adverts

Board footer