Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#51 2012-02-06 01:27:27

Lindy Lou

Re: My flock of Marraduna Euskal Oiloas

WEll I'm happy to report that the brooder room is done and ready to go. I will start the incubator up for the 1st time just to see how it works this week. I need to purchase a Thermometer and a hydrogmeter. Any advise on what to buy and from where.
Paula I'll be ready for some eggs from you when we get back. :jumping: and you too Claire :jumping: I can't wait

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2012-02-06 01:27:27

AdBot
Advertisements

#52 2012-02-06 13:39:20

gubi
Website

It would be too nice if spring was here to stay but I do have my doubts!  This is Canada after all and we haven't really had winter yet except for a couple of days here and there but I'm not complaining, I'm loving this winter weather!  I'm a little hesident on seperateing more breeds as they would have to be in either a tractor or a dogkennel inside the barn but still outside temps.  I'm not too worried about the chickens more about the frozen waterers.  :chairhide: but if i want chicks in April I have to seperate now.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#53 2012-02-06 22:02:46

Flat Rock Farm

Lindy Lou wrote:

WEll I'm happy to report that the brooder room is done and ready to go. I will start the incubator up for the 1st time just to see how it works this week. I need to purchase a Thermometer and a hydrogmeter. Any advise on what to buy and from where.
Paula I'll be ready for some eggs from you when we get back. :jumping: and you too Claire :jumping: I can't wait

Well there will be egg swapping that weekend :cheer:

#54 2012-02-07 19:04:08

Lisa

Gubi,

I had some birds outside in a chicken tractor until well into the fall. Doug made "water heaters" for me out of cookie tins with either light bulb sockets (a use for all the incadescent bulbs everyone replaced with cfls's) or inexpensive sauterers inside. The waterers just sit on top - I've used them all winter, and nothing freezes. They are warm to the touch, but not hot (I was worried about kids or chicken feet if the waterers ever got knocked over). Doug prefers the ones he made with the sauterers (found on sale at Princess Auto for $14) - he says they won't burn out (like light bulbs) and take less power to run.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#55 2012-02-10 13:19:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The brooder rooms looks great Lynn, just the job! We use the heat trace that just comes on if it dips under 5 degrees C and they work really well.  I love being able to hang the waters to keep the shavings soup to a minimum, just have to deal with chooky backwash :sick:

#56 2012-02-11 00:33:43

ChestnutRidge
Website

Gubi, I don't know how I missed this thread up until now!!!  Your birds are gorgeous!!!!!  :applause: Those are nice, big roos, and I love the nice yellow legs!  I hope that your cockerel pulls through.  Best of luck. :hug:

#57 2012-02-11 01:59:01

gubi
Website

Thanks ChestnutRidge, they were all hatched from eggs I got from Claire. :jumping: The cockerel grew out of it and is doing great now but I don't think I'll be using him for breeding because he did get sick. 

Thanks on the tips about the watering.  I like my hanging waterer too. I don't have much luck with hanging the galvanised waters, they leak out if they are hung up.  I do like my big 20l hanging plastic waterer and i wish I could find a few more like it. 
Lisa do you use the plastic waterers on those heated bases?

Last edited by gubi (2012-02-11 01:59:38)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#58 2012-02-11 14:28:03

Lisa

Gubi,

I have used both the plastic and the metal waterers on those bases. I was a bit nervous about the plastic ones at first (picturing melted plastic, or little plastic atoms going into the water), but heat from a 25 watt bulb or small sauterer seems to be just enough to keep the water from freezing, so I don't worry about it anymore. I currently have 2 and 3 gallon metal waterers on the bases, and both sizes are doing fine. Mind you, I haven't checked yet this morning! (for those outside Ontario, it was c-c-c-cold last night)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

Adverts

Board footer