Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-25 19:54:35

Susan
Administrator

Heritage Turkeys

Well you guys know Peep and Chloe, my Ridley Bronze turkeys. Peeps and Chloe will never see the inside of a roasting pan, but I had a third tom. His legs have always been stiff and I worried he would get arthritic and in pain, so.... I need to know how to cook him. Man I have a hard time killing and cooking a bird I have known- which is ironic since I firmly believe in raising our food humanely and ethically. (Thanks again cjs for taking care of that for me!!) Anyway, turkey is now ready to be cooked. (Not today, today is a Nicholas white- I know how to cook them!) But I'm assuming Heritage turkeys are more like Heritage chickens- low and slow- but what else should I know? How have you done it?  How do they taste?

2011-12-25 19:54:35

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-25 21:01:02

pops coops
Website

Re: Heritage Turkeys

All you have to do is call

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#3 2011-12-26 14:29:16

Lisa

Pops,

Can I call too??

I will be cooking my first heritage turkey too (bourbon red) - we are having "Christmas" with Doug's family on the 28th, and I have a lovely 15 1/2 pounder thawing in the fridge.... would greatly appreciate cooking tips from anybody willing to share!!!!! I spent so much care and effort on raising these birds - I want to make sure I do them justice for their last appearance.... :thumbs:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#4 2011-12-26 15:47:16

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

They taste absolutely amazing.  We have them here quite often.  A few of my tips would be, rub the bird (inside and outside) with butter.  Season well (inside and out) Cook breast down so the juices flow to the breast. 

Now most important.  Natural raised meat is more dense and need a longer time to cook than store bought meat.  Especially poultry.  Store bought most often has been washed under pressure and therefore absorbs a lot of the water.  This will decrease the density of the meat, making cooking time faster per pound.  Also, with store bought birds, they are younger and therefore smaller bones.  Heritage birds are older, larger bones, longer cooking time.  With our birds, we can't use the 15 minutes per pound theory.  Best thing to do is have a thermometer to make sure it is cooked well.  I no longer have  thermometer as my Mom let it soak in the sink and then put it in the dishwasher :huh:  so we have to eyeball it. 

Try your hardest to NOT keep poking at it with a fork.  All you are doing is letting the juices run out of the bird and therefore contributing to making the bird dry. 

I cook at 350 F. approx 20 min per pound BUT it may need longer.   I find that if a bird is undercooked, it's tough.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#5 2011-12-26 15:58:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:turkey: So heritage turkeys,

20min a pound is what they used to say for turkeys, but since the rapid growths turkeys and them not having much real bone, just cartilage, they cook quicker.  But the 20 minute rule works on our heritage dudes with stuffing in.  If you have a meat probe on your stove or not, use it, it should get to min 170F, we have ours set for 180F.  Cooking can be a little more uneven because of the thicker bone I think.

Also note: birds never frozen and and cooked from fresh cook roughly 1/4 less time in our experience. 

Put in a roasting pan with lid or tinfoil if bird too big.  The best roasting pan are huge thick enamel ones from auction sales.  We have the coolest red and white one!  It's a real ritual using it!

We usually rest the bird on chunks of carrots, onions, celery, and may have some garlic in there.  Add water so it doesn't touch the underneath of bird. 

We add butter under the skin or over, your choice and add your herbs/spices/seasoning.  Ours yesterday had butter and fresh rosemary under the skin near the breast.  You could do that with poultry seasoning, garlic anything you like.  Salt makes for a crispy skin and great flavour :eat:

Keep an eye on the join between the legs and the body, sometimes moisture builds up in there and slows cooking there (which is a slow area anyway due to all that bone) so make sure you prick that area so it drains.

Temp is 350*F, take lid or foil off about 30 minutes before done to help it dry a little.

Bessie, we had the Narraganssett which was one of the 5 poults you gave me for my birthday in 2010 and he was :turkey: :eat: Thanks!

#6 2011-12-26 15:59:21

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Ha, we were both posting at the same time Bessie! :snowman:  I guess we cook ours on it's back!  Bessie cooks a wonderful turkey, we were lucky enough to be invited for a dinner last fall and it was delicious!  :wine:

#7 2011-12-26 16:10:50

Susan
Administrator

All great advice! I'll let you know when I do ours. I really didn't want to freeze it, but we still have tons of leftover turkey from last night, so I may have to. Has anyone tried injecting with butter?  Is the breast meat still white meat, or a bit darker?  I'm just worried about the people who have only eaten production birds- change anything and they can be a bit fussy. I've never brined  a turkey, would that help too?

#8 2011-12-26 16:11:06

pops coops
Website

I cook basicly the same way, I have done on the back and on the breast, i also inject the Turkkey with butter, I melt the butter and some times ad poultry spices to the melted butter an I inject under the breast and under the breast skin,  I also stuff it with my wild rice cranberry stuffing, sooooooooooooo  good.  Lisa I pm you and feel free to call.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.

#9 2011-12-26 16:29:54

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We brined our first one or two (using Prairie chick's great brining recipe/thread on ACE) and it helps with moisture (may be closer to a production), after we had awesome ones without brining, we stopped doing it, unless we need a little rush on the last bit of thawing.  I am a white meat eater and it is plenty white on a heritage breast for me.

#10 2011-12-26 17:27:46

Maggiesdad

You guys are killing me... :eat: :turkey: :eat:

#11 2011-12-26 17:31:15

Lisa

You guys are da bomb!!!! :thumbs:

Pops, any chance you'd be willing to give up the secret for that stuffing recipe??? Sounds unbelievably good..... :eat:

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#12 2011-12-26 18:13:47

pops coops
Website

1 1/2 cups of wild rice, soaked at least 24 hours, then cooked, 1 loaf 100% whole wheat bread or multi grain (you can use white). In a fry pan cook 2 cups chopped celery, 1 med to large onion chopped, and 1/2 to 3/4 pound of butter, 2 large tablespoons of poultry seasoning 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. When the Celery and onions are just tender add the wild rice drained, save cooking water for gravy if you desire. I use my sink washed and dried and put the bread (that is cubed the night before and left in a pan open), in the sink, after the contents of the fry pan have cooled pour into the sink or large bowl and mix well, adding one 200g bag of dried cranberries, stuff the bird and cook. This stuffing is fantastic but don’t do what I did today and after the bird is in the oven remember that you forgot the dried cranberries, OH well.

#13 2011-12-27 07:46:36

choctawgal
Website

We cooked up one of our Bourbon Reds for Christmas this year.  I completely swear by baking low and slow in a "Reynolds" turkey roasting bag.  The moisture from the bird cooking doesn't escape that way.  Out of personal preference I put garlic bulbs, onions, lemons. and rosemary in the body cavity.  I also spread seasoned butter under the skin of the breast and thigh, and follow the roasting bag instructions for the time and temp.  This year we did a 15.5Lb bird at 350F for 2-2.5 hours. 

It was scrumptous and juicy!  :thumbs:

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#14 2011-12-27 12:40:03

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

OMG, after Christmas day I didn't, think I could eat another roast turkey for a while but bring it on :eat: :P

#15 2011-12-27 14:18:05

cj's coop

How about a 31.8 lb Nickles white. Had to go an find a 16 x 21 in roaster to cook him in.http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h342/clifjef/314885_10150349937267908_601872907_8118246_108361286_n.jpg

Last edited by cj's coop (2011-12-27 14:19:49)

Farm bred country raised

#16 2011-12-27 14:28:05

Lisa

I am SO glad I asked after Susan did!!!!

Off to the store to look for fresh rosemary and wild rice....... =D

#17 2011-12-27 15:07:18

Susan
Administrator

Yup! Some great cooks here too! :). :wine:

#18 2011-12-27 15:19:38

pops coops
Website

choctawgal wrote:

We cooked up one of our Bourbon Reds for Christmas this year.  I completely swear by baking low and slow in a "Reynolds" turkey roasting bag.  The moisture from the bird cooking doesn't escape that way.  Out of personal preference I put garlic bulbs, onions, lemons. and rosemary in the body cavity.  I also spread seasoned butter under the skin of the breast and thigh, and follow the roasting bag instructions for the time and temp.  This year we did a 15.5Lb bird at 350F for 2-2.5 hours. 

It was scrumptous and juicy!  :thumbs:

I have never used a roasting bag, will have to give it a try,

#19 2011-12-27 15:22:20

pops coops
Website

Lisa wrote:

I am SO glad I asked after Susan did!!!!

Off to the store to look for fresh rosemary and wild rice....... =D

Good luck with the stuffing , the only item at my table that there is none left of is the stuffing, exept a bit for Susan to try that I hide before supper.

#20 2011-12-27 16:04:15

Susan
Administrator

Woo hoo!!

#21 2011-12-28 02:36:30

poplar girl
Administrator

We had "big turk", a bourbon red tom we raised at my families Christmas supper last night. We brined and deep fried him and he was very good, nice and juicy. We thought for sure it would be too cold to get the oil up to temperature outside this time of year but the weather cooperated 100% and it was about plus 4C so perfect. Today my mom is making soup out of the carcass. :turkey:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#22 2011-12-28 03:37:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Mmmm deep fried is good too :eat:  We use the deep fat frier setup as the scalder when processing and plucking too! :thumbs:  And it's good for reducing maple syrup in the garage but you need a non-aluminum pan.

#23 2011-12-28 03:43:09

Island Girl

mmmm :turkey: it all sounds so good I brined my first turkey for Christmas dinner. Actually it was also my first homegrown turkey, WOW was he ever tender and tastey. But I think maybe I was suppose to rinse him after the brining :Crazy: I had decided that I didn't want to raise turkeys again but now ........

XOX Monika

#24 2011-12-28 05:21:22

debbiej

IG when you buy the new acreage you'll have all sorts of room for turkeys on the back 40!   :turkey:

#25 2011-12-28 13:30:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Island Girl wrote:

mmmm :turkey: it all sounds so good I brined my first turkey for Christmas dinner. Actually it was also my first homegrown turkey, WOW was he ever tender and tastey. But I think maybe I was suppose to rinse him after the brining :Crazy: I had decided that I didn't want to raise turkeys again but now ........

XOX Monika

After the Bourbon Red we had around Easter time, :eat: Nathan said yep, we can have turkeys again! :turkey:  I liked having them, they were endearing and goofy and followed me around when I was out by the coops or veggie garden.  And they way they sound like little dogs yapping :turkey:  We just need them in a separate area and in the Spring, Nathan is building the caravan of love (an old hay wagon base) for a year round moveable home for our turkeys so they can be away from the chickens.  :thumbsup:  Good luck with the plans, I  hope you do not have to move far!

Adverts

Board footer