Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-23 02:23:47

Lisa

Is she egg bound?

Evening folks,

I've got a new hamp pullet (about 8 months old) who has a distended abdomen. She has laid fine up until now. She is not behaving as though she is ill - she's not sick or droopy looking, and was eating this afternoon (I removed her from the top roost this evening), but was waddling around looking like a duck, to the point where her abdomen is muddy. When I touch her abdomen, it feels hard. I looked up what to do, and have put her in a wire cage with hot water underneath her and a tarp overtop to keep the steam in (not too hot). I'm guessing (based on no experience and no knowledge) that she is egg bound.

Any other diagnoses or treatments anyone can think of??

Thanks so much for the help....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-12-23 02:23:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-23 02:40:22

Susan
Administrator

Re: Is she egg bound?

Sounds like she could be. Have you tried immersing her in warm water for about 20 min and then using a little olive oil, maybe even with a syringe to lubricate her vent. Gentle massage can help too emphasis on the gentle- don't want the egg to break inside her. How long has she been like this?

#3 2011-12-23 02:42:17

Maggiesdad

By abdomen you mean behind her legs, not crop, right?

#4 2011-12-23 02:58:13

Lisa

Yup, behind her legs - kinda like she needs to poop (not crop).

She's currently in her tent getting quite steamy - it's 32 degrees and humid in there - the think I read suggested keeping it between 32 and 39. She's damp from the steam and panting a bit (she keeps stepping in her water, and I keep re-filling it).

She's pooped twice in half an hour, so something is moving! Hoping to see an egg soon, or it may be a long night for both of us.... I'm thinking this must be how people feel when their daughters go into labour - worried and largely helpless!!! Thanks for the support guys...

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2011-12-23 02:59:29

Lisa

I'm not sure how long she's been like this. It seemed quite noticeable today, but I remember thinking "that chicken looks a bit strange" yesterday too.

#6 2011-12-23 03:05:44

Maggiesdad

Hang in there and good luck to both of you!

#7 2011-12-23 03:41:43

Susan
Administrator

Lisa, forgive me for being WAY of topic, but its been on my mind all day. At this time 11 years ago, I was feeling a lot like your hen right now. I had already been pushing for a few hours and by 11:26 tonight, I had given birth to my first baby. I hope she passes this egg. I was sure relieved after delivering my son! :)

#8 2011-12-23 03:45:10

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Hang in there Lisa.  It certainly sounds like she's likely egg bound.  I've never had an egg bound hen but it sounds like you are doing all the right things.  At least if she is straining eatign andpooping, that is a good thing.  A less promising possibility is she had an egg break already and she has an infection of her peritoneum.  They generally look very ill and sorry for themselves then, for her symptoms it sound more like she has one stuck. 

Are they on extra high protein at the moment?  It can make the eggs larger and much harder to lay.  Good luck tonight! Let us know how she does.  :nervous:

#9 2011-12-23 03:49:27

gubi
Website

I had one of my pullets like that one night this summer but I was lucky I massaged her a bit and the egg popped right out. 
happy birthday to your son Susan.  Our baby boy will turn 5 tomorrow!

Last edited by gubi (2011-12-23 11:00:33)

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2011-12-23 12:32:11

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sounds like those early birthdays re more special for the parents than the kids! =D

How's your girl doing Lisa?  It may be an idea to just give her scratch or corn for now and lower light, to slow down any other eggs that might be on the way too.  I hope she pops it out soon.

#11 2011-12-23 15:49:39

pops coops
Website

Higher protien that may explain why I am getting huge eggs,  even a triple yolk. Lisa maybe you will have to inject caster oil into her.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#12 2011-12-23 16:21:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know when we put ours on the higher protein game breeding ration, the poor little honeys lay bigger eggs and a lot more have the blood rings on the outside too from an ouch as they come out.  :layer: :chook: 

I'm not sure it causes multiple yolkers though, I thought that was more genetic, but sometimes when they are just starting to lay we got more double yolkers the first fall as the egg factories get into their rhythm.  I guess there is the possibility and I have no idea whether anyone has ever tested it whether lower calcium would do it in an effort to save shell materials :huh:  Man, the experiments you could do on a group of chooks, or a group and a have a control too!  I should do some research and write about double yolkers. they seem to fascinate most people me included!

How is that hen Lisa?  I hope you both had an OK night.

#13 2011-12-23 16:37:36

pops coops
Website

I know you can buy double yokes at Safeway, they guarantee at least 50% to be doubles.  The reason I feed a higher protein is because mt peafowl and my gunieas need it and i tried to tell the chickens to eat from one feeder and the others to eat from the other feeder but they would not listen, so everyone gets the same feed.

Last edited by pops coops (2011-12-23 16:39:45)

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#14 2011-12-23 16:52:35

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Those darned spoilt guinea and peafowl eh?   We use it for a few months when collecting eggs for breeding as they feed store said the hatchability of the eggs is better and it is.  I think there are less "blood-ring" eggs after they have been mailed and people get better hatch rates.  The eggs are big so are the chicks too, so another bonus they get a good start.  :hatch: :chickout:

#15 2011-12-23 20:40:47

Lisa

Afternoon All,

Well, poor Squats was steamed, probed and massaged last night - what a good girl, she just let me do it all! After steaming, her abdomen felt much softer, both from the outside and the inside (and my nightmares now have a new feature - being rhythmically squeezed in the vent of a chicken while covered in olive oil!). Squats spent the night and her day in her tent in my kitchen - stuff is going in and stuff is coming out, but no egg! If there is still nothing by later this aft, I'm going to move her to the garage and fill her cage with shavings. She can convalesce until she either looks ill, or lays an egg...

Thanks for the help last night guys!

Lisa

#16 2011-12-24 02:55:54

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:layer:  I hope you have an egg waiting for you next time you go to see her.  I guess it is good she is still looking perky, but you are wise to spend this much time helping her when you know she doesn't look right.

#17 2011-12-24 17:25:15

Lisa

Afternoon All,

So Squats got moved from the kitchen to the garage last night - she thinks the flooring is much improved. She looks bright-eyed and perky - she's eating and drinking and pooping - but no egg.... Abdomen feels soft but still very big. Nothing ooky looking coming out of her vent (so I'm guessing she's not prolapsed? although I don't know what that really looks like).

Here's a thought - could she just be really fat??? too much Christmas corn??

Glad she's feeling ok (I think) - wish she'd lay me a Christmas eggie!

#18 2011-12-24 18:03:09

poplar girl
Administrator

Lisa i really hope she's just fat but that does sound suspicious. Does she look like she should be laying eggs...red comb etc?

Wishing you an egg for Christmas eve! :layer:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer