Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2011-12-23 16:43:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Augusta County Virginia USA

I know read it somewhere and can't find it right now!  :whistle: 

I just looked up this biological definition of race, and there is not much if any difference between what they were and what they are.  I think technically they went from a. to b. in a few short years of selection.

"a. An interbreeding, usually geographically isolated population of organisms differing from other populations of the same species in the frequency of hereditary traits. A race that has been given formal taxonomic recognition is known as a subspecies.
b. A breed or strain, as of domestic animals."

How I intended or was using it was to say that up to 20 years ago, they were a wild group of farmhouse chickens scattered over a large area.  When they selected for them, they pretty well picked colours though some of the egg production and meat traits vary between colours.   I think the white feathers, non-yellow legs, and side sprigs are probably normal things in the race that maybe not so many members had, that were not really important, didn't affect how many eggs or how big a bird got, but have become important to eliminate when trying to maintain a breed. 

The Euskal Oiloa we have do have these, that's why I figure if people need a picture perfect breed to show, we are a long way from having most chicks hatch ready for that.  Even in the recognized breeds, there are lots of "culls" that do not make the cut for showing or standards and some of those breeds have been around 100 years!  I'm not saying it will take that long for EOs but I personally am not in a hurry cos these stand on their own merits, friendly, intelligent/ hardy and productive.  I think the birds are getting better each year we have them and that is great to see, because our population was so small to start (3 birds!), I have tried to share everything with anyone interested, so we can see all the genes that were hidden in there and not lose good ones we don't know about.  With them being a race to start, they are vigorous not inbred, but the downside is they show a lot of these other traits too.

I hope that was clearer than mud... :chairhide:

2011-12-23 16:43:49

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2011-12-23 16:58:43

Island Girl

Not sure how I missed welcoming you Heidi. So :welcome: to the EO family! 12 acres makes me drool!! I am trying to convince hubby that we should be selling our 1/2 acre and finding something a little larger :P 

XOX Monika

#28 2011-12-23 21:44:04

NaturesPace
Website

Claire, that was great. Thanks for taking the time to respond in such detail. I'm sure whatever chicks I get, I will be happy with them. :love:

Monika, thanks for the welcome. It's 12 acres, but it feels more like 3 because it's mostly wooded and behind the house.

We are hoping to buy something that is at least 10 acres, but I would like something a little bigger even, 30-50. If I'm going to have Guineas and lots of chickens I'll need the space. Oh yes, we need room for the dairy goats I want. I made some cheddar cheese for the first time a week ago. Hope it turns out ok. It will be ready to try after my chicks hatch at the end of Jan. Celebration chick cheddar!

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

#29 2011-12-23 21:55:34

Susan
Administrator

Ooh! Chicks and cheese! 2 of my favorite things! Oh and wine! Pops- never mind!  :hohoho:

#30 2011-12-23 22:46:43

pops coops
Website

Guineas are  fantastic for tick and bug control, we hatched 450 last year and have a small flock of about 60  Welcome to the forum :EO:

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#31 2011-12-28 16:58:20

ChestnutRidge
Website

Yes, you are right nearby!  We are in the same county of VA.  :thumbs: Your place sounds great - I am jealous of your 12 acres!  I've got just over 3 acres - two in lawn/brush and one in woods which back onto some public land.  My birds like ranging in the woods, although it took them a bit of prompting to get started.  They tended to stay on the lawn areas - where they still spend most of their ranging time - until we got the idea to throw their scratch into the woods.  They quickly figured out that there are some delicious grubs and bugs hiding under the leaves of the forest floor!  Now, they probably range in the woods for about two hours of their five or so hours of ranging.  Mostly, they like to come down to the house, sit on the porch, and peer at me through the kitchen window! :lol:

I'll be hopping the EO bandwagon this February or so, and I can't wait!  Great to have you nearby!
:EO:

Adverts

Board footer