Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-22 15:58:09

NaturesPace
Website

Augusta County Virginia USA

Hi everyone,

My husband and I just moved from Northern California to Virginia, kind of on a whim. We decided it was time to be closer to family, so we picked a location that is about half way between the two sets of parents. We don't know anyone in this area,but we are really enjoying it. We are renting a house on 12 acres, only about 2 of those acres are open fields, the rest is wooded.

We are getting a small flock of Guineas on December 27th to help control our tick problem. You can't walk outside without getting at least one tick on you. We pull, at least one, off the dogs every week. Anyway, the Guineas will have their own coop and will free range.

I'm getting some hatching eggs for Blue Orpingtons, Welsumers, Blue laced red Wyandottes and EOs!!!
I was going to keep one rooster out of the bunch, figuring it would be a Welsumer, but now I'm not sure. Sounds like it would be good to have a EO fella around. I might be counting my chickens before they are hatched:)

happy to be around other crazed chicken owners
Heidi

More pictures and videos of chicks. www.outoforderacres.com

2011-12-22 15:58:09

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-22 16:02:26

Susan
Administrator

Re: Augusta County Virginia USA

Welcome naturespace!   Yes, I think you will find it hard to keep just one roo lol. :EO:

#3 2011-12-22 16:03:01

Flat Rock Farm

Hello Heidi and...... :welcome:.   Good choices in birds too, I would even consider keeping a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Rooster as well, they are lovely and I have never had a mean one.

Well enjoy country living in your new home and yes you are amoung chicken crazy owners here, so WELCOME :thumbsup:

#4 2011-12-22 16:15:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Welcome Heidi!  I hope you enjoy the site and just ask if you need anything.  Thatis quite the move! I bet you are happy to be settling in!  12 acres is lots of room for chooks! :snowman:

I agree, those are great breed choices!  They are all great.  I'd say the most like roos to keep an eye on temperament wise are the Wellies, they are gorgeous boys, but they are quite boisterous.  You will have months to decide (read agonize ) on who to keep anyway! The most laid back will be the Orpingtons for sure and EOs most likely though all those breeds males will be great attentive guard if your birds free range.  Depending on how many hens you have you could keep more than one roo. 

I haven't had guineas but I guess they are loud! Maybe they'll deafen the ticks and make them drop off!  :funny: the people that have them usually love them! 

:welcome:  and thanks for joining us! :hatch:

#5 2011-12-22 16:25:45

Flat Rock Farm

Oh Ya the guineas are loud.  I only had two, the one went to the neighbors as the male guineas lured her over and my JRT killed the other one.  All my husband said was "don't get any more of them"!!!!

#6 2011-12-22 17:01:29

NaturesPace
Website

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

Oh Ya the guineas are loud.  I only had two, the one went to the neighbors as the male guineas lured her over and my JRT killed the other one.  All my husband said was "don't get any more of them"!!!!

I'm hoping they are worth keeping. They are supposed to keep the tick population down really well. We read a lot about them and it sounds like if you keep at least 6 they are happier and make a little less noise. Fingers crossed.

#7 2011-12-22 17:27:46

Flat Rock Farm

Well I hope that is true Heidi and I know people that have say how great they are at insect control.  All I can say is invest in some ear plugs, LOL

#8 2011-12-22 18:55:18

gubi
Website

:welcome: I like your choices of chickens.  I have all of them except for the Orpingtons.  When I got my first EO's through and egg exchange with Skeffling in 2010.  I was planing on just keeping the hens of what ever breed I get but decided to keep an EO rooster around.  You will see they will get you too.  I haven't met a person that got a couple of EO's that didn't want more of them the next year or even next month!  Lots of time to decide what roosters to keep!  :EO:

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2011-12-22 19:39:49

Susan
Administrator

I love my guineas! I had 2 females and a male this spring, but my one hen raised 9 babies. They are awesome Moms and the whole flock lived together peacefully, until this week when I gave 5 to Pops. They were upset with the separation, but are coming to terms with it now. They are noisy, but fun to watch, and they do help with the ticks :)

#10 2011-12-22 20:29:22

cj's coop

I had 3 of them,They were fun to watch.But the wife didnt like them flying up to the roof of the house an craping on it and  they showed my turkeys how to fly out of the pen so gave them back to pops.

Farm bred country raised

#11 2011-12-22 21:36:16

NaturesPace
Website

Gubi-  I wasn't going to get any Orpingtons, but I wanted a breed that went broody. I was going to get bantam Cochin, but my husband didn't like the feathered legs. Look out when I get a broody...:chickout:

I think we will end up getting a few Easter Eggers too from the local feed supply store. We had one when we lived in Calif. that was my husbands favorite. Plus the blue eggs are so pretty, oh and those fluffy cheeks!!!:love:

We are in so much trouble when it comes to picking which rooster too keep. We will probably only have 10-12 hens so I don't think we can have more than one. Not sure my husband will be up to having a bachelor coop too. That would be 3 different coops! we are only renting. When we buy a place, I'm sure we will have lots of roosters.:chook:

Susan: I'm glad someone likes their Guineas. I'm actually going to buy ear plugs for the neighbors. ;)

#12 2011-12-22 22:17:33

choctawgal
Website

naturespace wrote:

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

I'm hoping they are worth keeping. They are supposed to keep the tick population down really well. We read a lot about them and it sounds like if you keep at least 6 they are happier and make a little less noise. Fingers crossed.

We have eleven Guineas... 6 French and 5 Lavender.  Yeah they are quieted down.... NOT :funny::funny::lol:
Man!  I have never heard such racket as when one gets separated from the rest!  I still love those little buggers!!  I have heard from more than a few people that they are tick eatin' machines!! :chook:  We got ours because my wife is deathly afraid of snakes, and we have lots and LOTS of garter snakes!!  They are known to gang up and hunt snakes!

Great breed choices!  We also have the Blue Laced Red Wyandottes and LOVE the roosters.  They are ever vigilant and quite the ladies' men!!  So far very non-aggressive!  I have a pic of one of them (Chuck) tolerating me holding him at    http://mothercluckerseggs.blog.com/sample-page/

Welcome!  :hi:   You are in a very fun and helpful place!!

Jenn-AKA Mother Clucker

Nashoba Family Farm: "Jill of many trades," service dog trainer/handler.  Owned by 2 svc dogs, 4 turkeys, 9 ducks, 1 rabbit, and manage Mother Clucker's Egg Co-op: a 75 hen, co-op owned, pastured, heritage flock.
Please "like" me at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mother-C … ef=tn_tnmn
and https://www.facebook.com/choctawgal

#13 2011-12-22 22:31:33

Susan
Administrator

naturespace wrote:

Gubi-  I wasn't going to get any Orpingtons, but I wanted a breed that went broody. I was going to get bantam Cochin, but my husband didn't like the feathered legs. Look out when I get a broody...:chickout:

I think we will end up getting a few Easter Eggers too from the local feed supply store. We had one when we lived in Calif. that was my husbands favorite. Plus the blue eggs are so pretty, oh and those fluffy cheeks!!!:love:

We are in so much trouble when it comes to picking which rooster too keep. We will probably only have 10-12 hens so I don't think we can have more than one. Not sure my husband will be up to having a bachelor coop too. That would be 3 different coops! we are only renting. When we buy a place, I'm sure we will have lots of roosters.:chook:

Susan: I'm glad someone likes their Guineas. I'm actually going to buy ear plugs for the neighbors. ;)

Actually, soon after I got my guineas, they all went and sat on the neighbors porch railing and "honoured" them with their "singing" I was horrified! Thankfully, when I went over to apologize, we got talking about them and told them how much they loved ticks. They said the guineas could come and visit as much as the liked. Thank goodness for great neighbors!!

#14 2011-12-22 22:39:26

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Another awesome broody breed with cochin in them and smooth legs in is the Partridge Chantecler.  They are not as docile (but John Blehms in Michigan are friendly and pretty-I have some, Ideal poultry ones are wilder for sure, he has gorgeous Ameraucanas too, I have wheaten and Lavender from him!  :snowman: The wheatens love to cuddle, and the lavenders raised some EOs this year along with my chanties), but all are great layers in winter.  I'd say the EOs, Orps and chanties are our best winter layers.  My 2 lav orps girls still haven't gone broody and they are 18 months old! :Crazy:

Guineas are supposed to scare raccoons away too, which we can always use here!  :stomp:

#15 2011-12-22 22:44:27

NaturesPace
Website

Guineas sound better the more I hear. No ticks, no snakes and no raccoons. :snowman:

#16 2011-12-23 00:23:49

cj's coop

when a hawk would fly over the yard.The 1s i had would put there heads down an take off running and squawking.The chickens would run for cover.

Farm bred country raised

#17 2011-12-23 00:33:41

poplar girl
Administrator

:welcome: sounds like a whole lotta fun you are going to have with your new place!
I think the best way to pick a rooster is to base your decision on the Roos themselves. Sometimes one will stand out above all others...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#18 2011-12-23 01:33:57

Maggiesdad

:welcome: From just across the way! :hi:

#19 2011-12-23 01:44:01

NaturesPace
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Hi Maggiesdad
:hi:

Glad to have someone not too far away.

#20 2011-12-23 01:46:24

gubi
Website

I have two BLRW from that came from the same egg swap as the EO's and both of them raised chicks this year as did one of my EE's and one of my Welsummers.  But for broodiness you can't beat the silkies.  I let them hatch two clutches in the spring and summer and in the winter they keep the eggs from freezing!  They lay really well for a about a month or so then they go broodie. I have right now at least 4 that are broodie but i keep takeing the egs from them.  I've had a couple of partridge chantecler before too they were very similar to the silkies in broodiness and egg size and laying.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#21 2011-12-23 02:20:58

Maggiesdad

naturespace wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

Hi Maggiesdad
:hi:

Glad to have someone not too far away.

We've also got ChestnutRidge and janchilds here in VA - 2012 is going to be a good year for EOs in VA!

#22 2011-12-23 02:55:09

Lisa

Heidi, :welcome:

You'll find lots of friendly people here happy to help you fill your coop (and your shed, and your garage.....) =D

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#23 2011-12-23 12:43:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I was thinking there had to be a few members in Virginia now!  :thumbsup:   It'll be nice to know some chicken people there when you first move to  a new place.  Chicken people are awesome.  :happycrowd"  Salt of the Earth as my Mum would say.

#24 2011-12-23 12:49:42

Lindy Lou

Yes we are :cheer:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#25 2011-12-23 13:20:02

Maggiesdad

Naturespace - saw you had posted this on another place... did you get the answer you were looking for?  I think Claire means they're not recognized as a breed by the APA... To me, it doesn't matter, they are still great birds, well suited for the role.

Skeffling Lavender Farm wrote:

The colours vary, they are more a race than a breed and we have a ways to go, but they are something else.

Hi lav, I saw you write that EOs are a race not a breed. Tell me more about what you mean by this.

Adverts

Board footer