Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-12-09 16:47:30

poplar girl
Administrator

Sneezy flock :(

I have had a bad week with my poor chooks. :( There is a respiratory infection running through my flock. Symptoms vary a bit bird to bird but generally include sneezing, difficulty (open mouthed, rattly) breathing, nasal discarge and 1 had bubbles in her eye, the other has a runny eye. It started last weekend on a few birds and several more have come down sick throughout the week. Egg production has dropped but no soft or deformed shells. I had one 2 year old hen die a few night ago. I should have sent her in to a lab but I wasn't thinking and we burned her. All of them have remained fairly active and seem to be eating and drinking.

I treated with Tylan for 5 days in the water thinking it was mycoplasma but more have come down with it while on the antibiotic so I don't think that's what it is. I am going to take them off antibiotics and try just apple cider vinegar in the water for a few days (in the process of trying to buy some of the unfiltered stuff) and see what happens. I have been feeding them chopped liver, eggs, diced veggies to try to boost their ability to fight this off as well. On my way out to clean out the coop in an effort to keep them as dry and comfortable as possible.

I am very sad to see my poor chooks sick. I had entered 4 of my lavender d'uccles in the Red Deer show, coop in was supposed to be this morning, but of course I withdrew them because of this. Ozzy is one of the ones who is sick, poor little guy is sneezing like crazy :sad:

I am having real difficulty pin pointing exactly what they have. If another one dies I think I will try to send it into a lab so I will be looking into that more today.

Advice is welcome as at this point I am feeling pretty ineffective at solving this and am really not sure what more I can do for them.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-12-09 16:47:30

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-12-09 16:54:24

Susan
Administrator

Re: Sneezy flock :(

Gosh I would have done exactly the same thing and also think Mycoplasma. What dose did you use?  Pops says there is a drug called "Borgal" that is supposed to be very good. Hopefully he'll chime in here. I'm sorry PG, this can be so frustrating. If I think of anything else, I'll post it :(  keep feeding the extras- I hope they fight it off!  Good food, good air all goes a long way to help nurse them through. Any chance it is going to be nice enough to let them out in the sun for awhile?

#3 2011-12-09 17:09:29

Lindy Lou

I had the same thing happen last year when I brought them into the barn for the winter. The barn is heated and in no time I had coughing and sneezing going on. I treated the whole flock with antibiotics with no real success. I have since done a lot of reading regarding this issue and decided to take some different steps.
Don't rush to bring them inside, don't heat the barn unless I have to, make sure I leave a couple of windows cracked  open to ensure adequate ventilation but no drafts. I will not use antibiotics unless I absolutely have to and I always put apple cider vinegar in their drinking water. I Have cabbages hung up for greens and I give them chopped eggs complete with shells for a protein boost. I also give them vitamins in the water. So far it has been working fine and the only sneezing I have had is from birds that I put into isolation after purchasing them.

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#4 2011-12-09 17:21:31

Lisa

PG,

I have not got any helpful advice to offer that LindyLou didn't already give you. If good wishes and positive energy is helpful, you have a bunch from me! :)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2011-12-09 18:24:46

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Sorry to hear this PG.  I don't have much else to add, good ventilation is a must.  Sounds like you are on the right track, it could be something carried then the conditions were right for it to blossom.  The bird that died could have been weaker for other reasons and this was enough to put her over the edge.  Chances are she may have gone this winter anyway.   Sorry.   

I know it is disheartening and I hope they are on the mend soon.  I agree if you lose anymore it may put your mind at rest to have any birds sent to the lab, be aware it is stressful too waiting, results can take  along time.  Hugs Claire

#6 2011-12-09 21:53:12

pops coops
Website

What dose of Tylan did you use, this seems to be a huge problem this year I do not know why, Tylan is to be dosed at a rate of 4 grams per gallon I think that is too low because we never know how each birds is getting, I recommend 2 teaspoons (8 grams) per gallon 3 to 4 days, i have had many people contact me this year, an alarming number to be honest. There is a product called BORGAL it is a synthetic drug for treating repertory problems and it works great but you cannot under dose it or it does nothing, I just helped a guy treat a flock of Turkeys that were the worst I have ever seen, 10 cc borgal in the water and we gave each and every bird 2 cc direct in the mouth, 3 days all is good but we also treated with Tylan for 3 days after. I do not like to use drugs of any kind but sometimes it is a must.  Good luck PG, I also use ACV in the water, all of my flock was also treated with Silver, have had no problems when I moved them into a heated building, but have great ventilation.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#7 2011-12-09 22:54:54

poplar girl
Administrator

Well everyone is clean and dry and I was able to get some organic unfiltered ACV so I switched their water to that this afternoon. I used 20ml per 4L (4 tsp per gallon) does that sound like a good dose?

Pops I started out the first day at the dose of Tylan recommended on the container which is 100g in 189L (=2.2 grams per 4L). But if you read each bird needs to consume 50mg per lb of body weight per day. There is no way my birds were drinking that much water as that would be about 500 ml of water each. So I doubled the concentration for days 2 to 5. I really don't think it was working still.

Not sure where I can get Borgal I will do some searching. I also have gallimycin (erythromycin) which is also listed for mycoplasma so I may try that if they get worse on the ACV.

The first bird to die as a cuckoo marans. She started gasping in the morning (was fine the night before) and was dead that night. Today my only other cuckoo marans died. Trouble breathing last night (she was fine yesterday morning) and I watcher her die today. She suffocated. I have her body in the garage, I am going to see if there is somewhere I can send her for autopsy.

The other breeds all seem less susceptible. Ozzy is the only lavender d'uccle that is sick and he seems slightly better today (I was so worried he would be dead this morning that I could barely make myself go into the coop). Of the EOs most seem completely unaffected. On girl has been ruffly and slow moving but she has actually been that way for about 3 weeks so it may be unrelated. Another of the EOs has a weepy eye today but has remained pretty active. I have two Easter eggers and both were gasping a few days ago but seem better now. The dorkings seem fine accept one had a bubbly eye which is now better.

I suspect that this was lying dormant and with the stress of winter and being shut up, a bit of damp because it has been hovering around the freezing mark, it has taken a hold on them.  My coop ventilation is pretty good but perhaps not enough. They haven't been outside for about a month now, since the snow and the cold arrived. I guess I should have tried harder to let them outside on nice days. Wellie and his hen went out today while I was cleaning, they quite enjoyed it although they stayed mostly in the hay shed.

Thanks everyone for the advice and hugs. I am going to do some more reading now.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-12-09 23:12:24

pops coops
Website

Here is a link to trivetrin http://www.drugs.com/vet/trivetrin-injection-can.html Trivetrin is the parent to  Borgal is exactly the same and works great, i have also injected it with super results, whatever is going on with you and your birds is everywhere this year. Marans are more delicate than some of the others I do not know how many you have a but a direct dose of Ionic Silver seems to help. I give my birds Braggs raw unfiltered ACV on a regular basis.

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.

#9 2011-12-09 23:45:14

Flat Rock Farm

Well there is not much I can suggest that the others have already covered.  I hate when the chooks get sick, I have access to Baytril which I have used on some pretty sick chickens before and works great.  Only catch I can only get it in pill form, so I have become pretty good at pilling chickens, LOL :chook:
Good luck Monika and I hope everyone is well soon :thumbs:

#10 2011-12-09 23:50:25

pops coops
Website

I should have mentioned that Borgal in nonprescription Trivetrin is prescription and 5 times the price made by the same company and they are identical.

#11 2011-12-10 17:28:53

Susan
Administrator

How are they doing today PG?

#12 2011-12-12 01:41:18

poplar girl
Administrator

No more really sick chooks, I was so worried going In the coop tonight not knowing how they would be!  Adonis is sneezing but he seems okay otherwise. The bubbly eyed one seems a bit better. Ozzy is holding and most people wouldn't even know he is sick.

They are only on ACV now, no drugs. And I am cooking good treats for them-- breakfast will be sweet potato, carrots, apple and corn.

I will remain hopeful and keep watching for now!

#13 2011-12-12 01:43:54

Susan
Administrator

Good! I hope they are over it quickly.

#14 2011-12-12 03:23:54

Maggiesdad

Wow! - when will breakfast be ready? :eat:

#15 2011-12-12 03:47:53

poplar girl
Administrator

Maggiesdad wrote:

Wow! - when will breakfast be ready? :eat:

About 6am my time. If I had know there might be company I would have made a bigger batch ;)

#16 2011-12-13 01:00:02

pops coops
Website

some times I cook rice or pasta and soak it or rolled corn in the tylan if needed, they seem to get more that way, how are they all doing?

Last edited by pops coops (2011-12-13 01:01:03)

#17 2011-12-13 02:35:47

poplar girl
Administrator

Adonis already seems better. Wellie is now very congested. I feel so bad for the big little guy :sad: I am wondering if I shouldn't try Tylan again Pops, maybe they just weren't getting enough. Tomorrow morning I will see how Wellie is doing and go from there. They really like wet crumbles so mixing it in with their food is a good idea.

It does seem like there is a bit of natural selection going on here. The strong seem to making it through. As much as I love my babies I may just let nature take it's course.

I will be VERY glad when I am back to healthy birds.

#18 2011-12-13 02:52:12

pops coops
Website

I would mix 2 tablespoons of Tylan to a litre of water and soak the crumbles make sure they all get enough or double dose, what ever you have seems to be going around, I have seen and talked to so many people with the same problem Tylan and Borgal seem to have been the only ones that worked in larger doses.  You may want to give them silver direct in the mouth I just gave a friends 3 cc a day for 3 days and GONE, does not work if you have to do many birds but one or 2 or just a few it is great.

Last edited by pops coops (2011-12-13 17:44:20)

#19 2011-12-13 17:35:03

Island Girl

pg how is going today with your chooks? I think I need to learn more about this silver stuff that pops talks about. I know nothing about it! Have you tried that?

XOX Monika

#20 2011-12-13 20:35:26

nuthatch333

Hope your chooks are doing better today PG, it was so nice to talk to you at the show.
As hard as it is, I agree that sometimes these sicknesses have to run their course and only the strong ones survive. You can only do so much to help them through, then its up to them. A clean dry coop, stress free environment and passive medication is is the way I would approach it too.
I would like to learn more about that silver stuff too, I have heard it talked about before but don't really know where to get it, or how to use it.
Good luck with your birds, we are all crossing our fingers for them.

#21 2011-12-13 23:05:46

Lisa

PG,

Update please? Especially for Wellie?

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#22 2011-12-14 01:24:48

poplar girl
Administrator

I was almost in tears going to work this morning, Wellie sounded awful this morning, Darth Vader breathing, foam coming out of his mouth when he sneezed :sad: he was still on his feet but I was scared he was too far gone to eat or drink. I mixed up a strong batch of Tylan, 5g in 3L, put some in some wet feed as well and went to work. I actually hugged him goodbye.

Well tonight he was still alive and on his feet. And watching and listening he sounds quite a bit better. And he's eating. And he mated with his Honey.

I have never been so happy to see a rooster mate a hen in my life. :happycrowd"

Thank you everyone for your continued support and concern. It has meant alot. This has not been easy on the chooks or me.

Pops, your advice has been very helpful in particular, I think you were right about the Tylan concentration. I will try to be well armed for next time with some of the other things you have suggested.

#23 2011-12-14 01:35:57

Susan
Administrator

Aww PG, I feel for you! So glad he is feeling a bit better tonight. Good call on the Tylan, I'll bet he pulls through. C'mon Wellie!

#24 2011-12-14 23:14:41

Lisa

Go Wellie!!! :cheer:

#25 2011-12-14 23:34:07

Lindy Lou

Sounds like you're on the mend. :cheer: :cheer: I hate it when my birds are ill. I keep my fingers crossed for a full & speedy recovery

LL

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

Adverts

Board footer