Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-28 03:00:46

Lindy Lou

Okay I'm still not getting any eggs

Okay so this is the situation. Most of the girls have finished molting. I have a light running from 5:00am till 5:00pm which gives everyone time to get into the house and roost before the light goes off. I know I have some older girls, well some are 2 and some 21/2 and some are this years hatch. I have about 50 in total and today i got 7 eggs. They are fed Lay Mash at 18% protein, they get Black Oil Sunflower seeds, mixed Grain and greens. Any ideas why they aren't laying. Last year they continued to lay all year abeit they slowed  down  October & November but they certainly didn't come to a grinding halt like this year.
Dh has commented on feeding birds that aren't contributing but I keep reminding him they're my hobby and he should be grateful I don't collect shoes and Coach Handbags :whistle:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

2011-11-28 03:00:46

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-28 03:05:46

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Okay I'm still not getting any eggs

Well Lynn with all those empty feed bags and molted feathers maybe you are going to have to design the new "Country" style of Coach Bag and maybe that will offset the price for feed.  Tell John to get the sewing machine out!!   =D

I am in the same boat as you honey :sad: no eggs.

#3 2011-11-28 03:10:12

poplar girl
Administrator

Up the light to14 hours would be my advice. I get about 6 eggs from 15 birds, ages 1.5 and younger. Unles they are molting...then you need to wait for them to regrow feathers and then they will have the energy for eggs.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-11-28 03:20:57

Lindy Lou

HaHa Paula That's cute. Could you just see John sitting behind a sewing machine. Ummm i wonder what a feather covered Coach bag would sell for? :huh:

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#5 2011-11-28 12:44:47

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

We have our lights come on about 3 am and off at 8 am.  They have natural light for the rest of the time.  Our egg production increased significantly when Mike set the timer.  I don't like having the lights on for 5 hours but I have egg customers that depend on the goodness that my hens give them.

“Expecting life to treat you well just because you’re a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge you because you’re a vegetarian.”      Unknown

#6 2011-11-28 14:29:10

Lisa

Lynn,

My light comes on just before 4 am, and goes off at about dusk (around 5:30 now) - I'm getting about 8 eggs a day from 11 pullets. Maybe 12 hours just isn't enough? I have 2 older hens that are just starting to lay again after a long molt. I had some trouble setting the timer for that early, until I realized that I was worried about it because I wouldn't want to get up that early. Then I realized that my girls are different from me, and they are quite happy and healthy with this schedule.

Hope you see some more eggs soon!

Last edited by Lisa (2011-11-28 14:30:43)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#7 2011-11-28 14:54:24

Lindy Lou

I guess I'll have to adjust the timer for a while longer and keep my fingers crosses.

#8 2011-11-28 15:12:03

gubi
Website

The only chickens laying here are the pullets from this year and the  EO hen from last year.  The older girls will start up soon again, they are just finishing a molt.  Last year they molted earlier in the season.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#9 2011-11-28 16:50:34

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think Nathan has the timer set here for 14 hours too and we are getting 2-4 eggs out of 40 hens (all 18 months plus old, some are nearly 4yrs old now!) with another 15 or so young uns not laying yet. 

Light intensity does matter too, for the EOs anyway.  Last winter, we moved a  light last winter to share between runs, and egg production of the 5 EOs in the breeder tractor of dropped like a stone, moved it closer again and it went back up!  I'm not saying blast them with too much light (as too bright can mack chicken cannibalistic... :sick:)  but if you are using a 40w try a 60, or a 60 got to 100 etc or move it lower. 

I`ll probably extend the time and other hour or two and maybe get a second bulb on the time as we do have two in there.

#10 2011-11-28 17:10:57

Island Girl

We have our timer set to come on when it is still dark outside (6am) and off when we know it will be light again then on again before dark (4pm) until past dark (10pm) that way we know they are getting 16hrs of light in total. If you are adding changing their light you want to do it in small increments. If you do large changes it will throw them off their laying as well. Light intensity is more important than I thought (learned that this weekend :P) we have a lux meter on order to check our intensity. It is not an expensive item ($14 with free shipping) and will be worth its weight in gold if we learn that we haven't had the right intensity of light. I will add the link fyi. I can't wait to see if we have the right intensity for the area our layers on in. Could be interesting. I will let you know.

XOX Monika

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Range-Digital- … 27be221aab

#11 2011-11-28 17:30:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Island Girl wrote:

If you are adding changing their light you want to do it in small increments. If you do large changes it will throw them off their laying as well.

Hah what laying!!?  Cool gadget!  See it does make a difference!  Same thing happened with our lav ameraucanas too, they stopped for a month in March til I figured it out last year!

Adverts

Board footer