Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-13 04:10:21

Skylinepoultry
Website

Idea about adding other topics?

I know this is strictly an EO forum and that's what I like so much. But since we are one big EO family and we talk about so much, do you think it would be kewl to add a section on gardening and homesteading ideas. Cheesemaking, soapmaking, bee keeping, etc. I just figured it would be neat to add with the EO's. Just an idea. Do you think it would be to much?

2011-11-13 04:10:21

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-13 06:07:45

Skylinepoultry
Website

Re: Idea about adding other topics?

Claire, you got me inspired with your winter gardening article you wrote. I got to thinking that we have a recipe section on here for our EO's. So I thought it would be kewl to see recipes with our own vegetables we grow infused with our EO chicken recipes. Just stuff like that. Kinda like a Hobby or homesteaders section to pair with our EO's. I know that Young Heritage would dig it since me and him are into being self sufficient. And what better bird to raise than an EO for that. Not trying to push the idea but just think the two go hand in hand. Living off the land with EO chickens.
I was reading this kewl article a while back that in Italy they take seasonal fruits and veggies and feed a certain breed of chicken Tomatoes and watermelons in the fattening stage before butchering to add a specific flavor to the meat. It was said that it made the meat very tender and added such a different taste. I thought that was very interesting.
Chicken Quesadillas made from our own cheeses. I love the whole idea of being self suffient but not talented in all these areas. But others are and it would be another learning experience to talk about as well.
Also, I just got done building a double barrel wood stove to heat my shop that was a nightmare to say the least because the instructions were horrible. I could show others how it can be done so they could be more self suffient. Now I can heat my area without depending on gas or electricity and it was very inexpensive..One of my dreams is to build a building dedicated to only hatching and housing young chicks and started birds that's heated by wood in the winter time and solor paneled to run my lights and incubators without depending on nobody.
I dream a lot,lol. But it keeps me motivated.

#3 2011-11-13 07:23:29

Skylinepoultry
Website

Check out this little article on a easy cheap homemade dehydrator. I tried to find this one article I seen last year this sweet homemade version but coouldnt find it. I just read your convection oven method Claire. Pretty kewl!
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yo … rator.aspx

#4 2011-11-13 13:38:27

Young Heritage

:thumbsup:  :thumbs:

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#5 2011-11-13 15:49:05

Susan
Administrator

I also want to be more self sufficient Skyline! Right now I grow a huge garden, have the  poultry, MAY one day add a cow. I'd love to hear more about your wood stove!

#6 2011-11-13 18:12:35

poplar girl
Administrator

I'd be up for another section on Self Sufficiency or whatever you want to call it. There is absolutely a sense of accomplishment in growing your own food, providing your own energy as well!

I think DH is going to try beekeeping next spring. I am not a fan of being around bees but I am looking forward to honey and beeswax.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#7 2011-11-13 18:26:07

Skylinepoultry
Website

I wish I would have took pictures of the woodstove process. I can still explain in detail of how to cut and assemble the barrel stove. Its a shame the instructions were so poor for this produuct. If I wasn't a handy person I would of quit. It was a bit of a process for sure..
Bee keeping is something else I've been wanting to try myself as well. Being self sufficient is a great feeling. My soil isn't the best over here right now but I plan on bringing in topsoil and start composting in an area I've clearred out for a garden. We have the best climate to grow anything and could grow a lot year round. My green thumb is average but I still have the drive and desire to be a gardner.
Energy is another thing I want to harness. Its nice knowing you can survive off your own land without depending much on other alternatives. Its work, that's for sure.
I'm still trying to find that book Stacey on how to live off 1 and 5 acres. Were still unpacking stuff over here from the move,lol. Sad isn't it.

#8 2011-11-13 18:55:33

Maggiesdad

I know I'm not one of the folks that got this site started, but I don't see how this idea could hurt.

The reason I found you all is because I was searching for the best all around homesteading dual purpose bird. :EO:
I still plan to test several other breeds - Speckled Sussex, Dorking, Welsummer, et al... all in due time. But self sufficiency is a life skill we can't afford to let slip through our fingers, and with associated homesteading topics in here, it would only draw more people (read newbies like me) not just accomplished chicken people looking for something different.

#9 2011-11-13 19:47:58

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

I know I'm not one of the folks that got this site started, but I don't see how this idea could hurt.

The reason I found you all is because I was searching for the best all around homesteading dual purpose bird. :EO:
I still plan to test several other breeds - Speckled Sussex, Dorking, Welsummer, et al... all in due time. But self sufficiency is a life skill we can't afford to let slip through our fingers, and with associated homesteading topics in here, it would only draw more people (read newbies like me) not just accomplished chicken people looking for something different.

:applause: well said.

#10 2011-11-13 20:43:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I'd love to include a self sufficiency section, we'll definitely do it,  let me think about how best to do it. 

We started being self sufficient 12 years ago when still in university with tomatoes on the ba;lcony, then a chest high vegetable garden in the 15 by 10 backyard of the town house the next year! We have learned a ton since then, and keep learning more and more every year, it just gets better! 

It is so nice like Susan says growing your own meals.  We are to the point now where even the herbs and honey are home grown, and maple syrup and it's our first year for wine this year, will be bottling strawberry, mead and rhubarb wines in a few weeks.   I have made cheddar and mozzarella cheese from scratch and butter but just can't commit to a milking schedule.  Wish I had a close source of fresh raw milk.   

I still want to grow grain and make my own flour as well.  Off the grid or hooked up to the grid too is another dream, but hatching eggs is very tricky to do with pure off grid, not reliable enough, so we figure if we do it we will use it to offset costs and have the reliability of electricity for hatching.  I want year round fresh veggies too so a heated greenhouse is going to be in the works too.

The self sufficient life and how to live it by John Seymour is a great book and we used it for one of our bacon recipes.  Were getting a whole pig from chitaquattor in Ottawa later this winter and are going to make sausages, hams and bacon again :eat:  I will be taking lots of pics and posting recipes!

#11 2011-11-13 21:51:29

Susan
Administrator

I'd love your cheddar and mozza cheese recipes Claire! I am fortunate to get  raw milk every week and have made lots of butter, ice cream and a simple cheese with it- love it! How much grain do you think you could grow on one acre- I have a spare pasture I don't use much... Hanging out with you people creates a lot of work!! :)

#12 2011-11-13 22:54:28

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

I'd love to include a self sufficiency section, we'll definitely do it,  let me think about how best to do it. 

We started being self sufficient 12 years ago when still in university with tomatoes on the ba;lcony, then a chest high vegetable garden in the 15 by 10 backyard of the town house the next year! We have learned a ton since then, and keep learning more and more every year, it just gets better! 

It is so nice like Susan says growing your own meals.  We are to the point now where even the herbs and honey are home grown, and maple syrup and it's our first year for wine this year, will be bottling strawberry, mead and rhubarb wines in a few weeks.   I have made cheddar and mozzarella cheese from scratch and butter but just can't commit to a milking schedule.  Wish I had a close source of fresh raw milk.   

I still want to grow grain and make my own flour as well.  Off the grid or hooked up to the grid too is another dream, but hatching eggs is very tricky to do with pure off grid, not reliable enough, so we figure if we do it we will use it to offset costs and have the reliability of electricity for hatching.  I want year round fresh veggies too so a heated greenhouse is going to be in the works too.

The self sufficient life and how to live it by John Seymour is a great book and we used it for one of our bacon recipes.  Were getting a whole pig from chitaquattor in Ottawa later this winter and are going to make sausages, hams and bacon again :eat:  I will be taking lots of pics and posting recipes!

That's the book! That book is awesome! It doesn't really go super indepth on some subjects but its very well rounded on a lot you can do yourself.
A greenhouse would be sweet Claire! I love those antique glass and steel setups. So beautiful. Man ole man, I got champagne taste on a beer budget. I kill my wife with everything I want to do.
I'm super stoked on this new section. I would love to get those cheese recipes Claire. I've been wanting to do cheese forever now. I almost got a Jersey cow last month but I had to retain myself because I'm not set up yet. Just knowing id have fresh milk in my backyard would be heaven. I'm a milk fanatic anyways.

#13 2011-11-13 22:56:16

Skylinepoultry
Website

Susan wrote:

I'd love your cheddar and mozza cheese recipes Claire! I am fortunate to get  raw milk every week and have made lots of butter, ice cream and a simple cheese with it- love it! How much grain do you think you could grow on one acre- I have a spare pasture I don't use much... Hanging out with you people creates a lot of work!! :)

Lol, sorry Susan..

#14 2011-11-13 23:15:39

Susan
Administrator

Yes, I have that book too- like I say, its also caused me a lot of work, but I love it! - just popped my EO in the oven- think I'll start a new thread for that :)

#15 2011-11-13 23:40:46

Lisa

We are also working toward self-sufficiency - one of the reasons we moved out to the farm last year. DH has a solar company (SolarG), so questions about solar could be fielded my way. I think there's some useful stuff on the website.

Most fascinating "self-sufficiency" book I've seen recently combines it with my interest in poultry is The Small-Scale Poultry Flock (An all-natural approach to raising chickens and other fowl for home and market growers) by Harvey Ussery (2011). Cover says "with information on building soil fertility, replacing pourchased feed, and working with poultry in the garden". Picked it up through amazon. Harvey follows similar ideas to Joel Salatin - works with birds in a cooperative manner to increase fertility in the soil and the birds.

One idea he has is to deliberately use the birds as compost turners - using his idea, I've renovated an old camper by tarping the floor and bottom of the walls, added 2 inches of compost (to "prime" the composter), am in the process of adding 12 to 18 inches of bedding (high carbon stuff - straw, leaves and shavings), will then add birds and incentive to scratch around in there. In the spring, shake out the tarp in the garden - am loving this idea. Hope it works!!!

He has sections on deep litter (and how to do it correctly), pasturing, fencing, mobile shelters, butchering, making your own feed, managing the flock, putting roosters together, shelter info, etc, etc. It's a good book.

I'm in favour of a self-sufficiency section! I'm also looking into buying nut trees....

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#16 2011-11-14 00:22:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

So I was thinking about categories
Overall header Homesteading and self sufficiency

Growing your own food - tips, varieties, planting, gardening, harvesting & storing
Recipes for your own food - preserving, baking, cheese-making, sausage making
Forgotten arts & homesteading skills - soap-making, bee-keeping, dairy & animal husbandry
Alternative power, heat & off the grid
Self sufficiency resources, links and books

Any more suggestions or ideas?  I want to keep things fairly broad and not have tons of little sections, have I missed any or anything else I can add into these categories?

#17 2011-11-14 00:26:48

Maggiesdad

I got into blacksmithing 30 years ago, and it's still one of my favorite hobbies...

Nothing like those good ol' homesteading skills!

:goodthread:

#18 2011-11-14 00:52:14

Skylinepoultry
Website

WOW!  WOW! WOW! I love it Claire.
I've always been intrigued with blacksmithing. Good Trade! Very helpful in homesteading.

#19 2011-11-14 00:54:51

Susan
Administrator

Love it Claire! Sounds good!

#20 2011-11-14 02:57:49

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I'll see what the rest of the "morning girls" say, then I will set it up tomorrow.  :thumbs:

I'll have to look put the cheese recipes (it could be packed like my copy of a self sufficient life) and my fave..."Grow it" by Richard Langer, once I read that I wanted bees.  tells you how to plow a field and where to plant your orchard..I mowed my two pecan trees :(  and have one lonely hazlenut left and think I need 2.

#21 2011-11-14 03:48:29

poplar girl
Administrator

I'm awake! Only 8:30 here so not quite bedtime yet! I think your headings look great, can't think of anything you missed.

Just need to quickly go read through the index to see how it will all fit in....

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#22 2011-11-14 03:51:02

poplar girl
Administrator

Will "harvest Time" be okay where it is or should that be consolidated into the new headings?

#23 2011-11-14 17:02:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I think I'll change it to "EO production" or something but leave it intact.  If a topic can go in either it's not that big a deal, but the butchering and eggs stuff that is related to EOs can stay there.  I think that will be useful separate for people new to the breeds and researching that stuff.

#24 2011-11-14 17:23:20

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

OK 'tis done... :jumping:

I didn't want it right at the bottom, so think where it is is a pretty good spot!

#25 2011-11-14 17:31:52

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

OK 'tis done... :jumping:

I didn't want it right at the bottom, so think where it is is a pretty good spot!

That looks good Claire. I believe that's the perfect addition to this wonderful EO forum. The forum stays dedicated to EO's but allows people to talk and research about really important skills that goes hand in hand with the EO. I don't know of any other chicken forum that has this. Beautiful!

Adverts

Board footer