Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-08 03:48:38

poplar girl
Administrator

Let's get this genetic study group started!

I think it is time to do the concrete planning for our Gentics Study Group. I am going to attempt to ask as series of questions that I hope all members with any interesting in joining in the fun will answer. And please feel free to ask additional question or to provide your comments!

We have the privlage of having a bonified geneticist, ipf, willing to help us out and make sure we don't just chase our tails in a circle.

We had talked about getting started in the winter. The book by Hutt, Genetics of the Fowl, was recommended as a reference book. So how do we get from a good idea to getting started?

Here are some questions I hope will help us get going!

1. Do you plan to participate in the Genetics Study Group? Why or why not?

Now for those that DO plan to participate:

2. When (list a date) would you prefer to get started?
3. How often should a new topic be chosen (weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly)?
4. What night(s) of the week and times (list time zone) can you generally participate (this assumes a set time for the group to meet)?
5. How should we "meet"?
     - IRC chat
     - post a new topic thread, members read reference info then add to the tread as they learn the material
     - ??
6. Do you agree with Hutt as our base reference book that all participants should have access to? Is there other references you suggest in addition to, or instead of, Hutt?
7. Please list topics you would like to see addressed (suggestions on an order of topics would be great!).
8. Is anyone officially willing to lead the group? Nominations?

Really looking forward to everyone's input to get our study group organized! I'm sure I have missed some questions so please, everyone, weigh in!

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-11-08 03:52:15)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-11-08 03:48:38

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-08 08:01:58

Skylinepoultry
Website

Re: Let's get this genetic study group started!

I'm ready whenever you r.

#3 2011-11-08 13:36:57

poplar girl
Administrator

poplar girl wrote:

1. Do you plan to participate in the Genetics Study Group? Why or why not?
Yes (obviously :P) I think it's going to be both fun and helpful with future breeding and selection of EOs!

I'm ready to go any time!

3. How often should a new topic be chosen (weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly)?
Weekly

4. What night(s) of the week and times (list time zone) can you generally participate (this assumes a set time for the group to meet)?
Evenings (6 to 9pm Alberta time which I think is Mountain standard time) Monday, Tuesday or Wdnesday would be best but I can make other days and times work. Weekdays during the day are no good for me (I have that annoying real job to go to :( )

5. How should we "meet"?
     - IRC chat
     - post a new topic thread, members read reference info then add to the tread as they learn the material
     - ??
I am open to trying the chat thing but I have done so yet!
I also think just posting a new topic thread and some reference reading, maybe some specific questions for everyone to think about would work. Later in the week members can post what they learn from their reading, any question that it raises, how it might apply to their situation, etc. This would allow people to join without the need for us to all be available at a specific time each week.
But I am really open to others ideas of how we could do this!!

6. Do you agree with Hutt as our base reference book that all participants should have access to? Is there other references you suggest in addition to, or instead of,
Yes, I have my copy ready to go. If there are other publicly available (read free off the Internet) references that we could use for specific topics that would be great too!

7. Please list topics you would like to see addressed (suggestions on an order of topics would be great!).
- Chicken technical term and definitions, defects, etc (this maybe from the SOP so everyone knows how to recognize things like poor head and body characteristics that may cause lack of vigor, roach back, wry tail, duck foot, etc).
- EO breed standard 
- Basic genetics terms and concepts
- chromosomes and sex linked traits
- skeletal variations (crooked beak, crooked breast bone)
- variation of the skin (combs and side sprigs)
- variations in the plumage (feather stubs, split wing, sex differences, rapid vs slow feathering)
- variations in skin color (shank color, ear lobe color)
- Variations in plumage color (basic genes involved and what they do, barring, hopefully marraduna EO specifics)
- variations in body size
- egg production and variations in the egg
- genetics of disease resistance
- genetic aspects of reproduction
- genetics in practice   

Note that except for the first couple topics this list more or less follows Hutt chapter by chapter.

I nominate ipf but will completely understand if she declines. This is going to be a bit of an undertaking!

To give everyone something to start with!

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-11-08 15:04:45)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-11-08 16:07:35

Island Girl

1. Yes =D
2. Jan /12
3. Monthly
4. No set time (too difficult to get everyone together re:time zones) BUT
5. IRC chat for those that want to 'talk' to each other, as well as post topic thread and add to it as we read and learn
6. Hutt, yes please :oops: already bought it
7. Leg color for a start off topic
8. I think you are doing a great job!

XOX Monika

#5 2011-11-08 16:36:25

ipf

Hi -

I'm more than willling to be a resource, but not to lead. Also, can't commit to a regular time every single week - I am a consultant, and travel some. I will promise to read everything, answer questions (where I can), and raise issues I think should be considered.

Caveats: I'm just a geneticist, and, although I'm fairly well read, not a serious poultry breeder. I don't own a single EO (despite Island Girl's kind offer a while back, which I still fantasize over. . . ). My prejudices and opinions will undoubtedly surface during discussion.

#6 2011-11-08 20:08:54

Susan
Administrator

1. Yes
2. I like the idea of January (I don't have the book yet)
3. Bi weekly or Monthly
4. Most evenings
5. I like doing it by post, saves tracking everyone done, though can get confusing if we are all posting at the same time
6. Yes, but I still need to get the book
7. Yah- what you said, PG
8.  You're doing great! :) :).

#7 2011-11-08 23:38:57

poplar girl
Administrator

Okay, some good feedback! Keep the input coming everyone! Hopefully we can see some consensus and trends over the next week or so and them make some decisions.

#8 2011-11-09 00:01:41

Island Girl

ipf wrote:

Hi -

I'm more than willling to be a resource, but not to lead. Also, can't commit to a regular time every single week - I am a consultant, and travel some. I will promise to read everything, answer questions (where I can), and raise issues I think should be considered.

Caveats: I'm just a geneticist, and, although I'm fairly well read, not a serious poultry breeder. I don't own a single EO (despite Island Girl's kind offer a while back, which I still fantasize over. . . ). My prejudices and opinions will undoubtedly surface during discussion.

Thank you for being a resource for us ipf, we are so lucky to have you here! My offer still stands =D you have first choice of the 7 EOS that I have here from SLF also I have eggs in the Brinseas from Susan. You can wait till they hatch if you like and then choose or you can wait til they are older, or spring or whatever suits you. They are sweet birds and I am very excited to be raising them up and maybe even start breeding in the spring.

XOX Monika

#9 2011-11-09 00:02:45

Maggiesdad

Hmmm...  I don't think I have much other than inexperience to bring to the table.  :oops:
But I would like to learn, and I do plan on raising EOs. Does that count for anything?

#10 2011-11-09 00:05:17

Island Girl

Maggiesdad wrote:

Hmmm...  I don't think I have much other than inexperience to bring to the table.  :oops:
But I would like to learn, and I do plan on raising EOs. Does that count for anything?

I hope so Maggiesdad cause that is what I am going on, inexperience and a willingness to learn. :thumbsup:

XOX Monika

#11 2011-11-09 00:13:26

poplar girl
Administrator

Island Girl wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

I hope so Maggiesdad cause that is what I am going on, inexperience and a willingness to learn. :thumbsup:

XOX Monika

Oh yes, it all counts and everyone is welcome! We just need to make sure the level of discussion meets everyone's needs. So we will try to start basic and judge how everyone is doing and then go from there.

Ipf, Monika is correct. We do VERY much appreciate having you as a resource. Your caveats and disclaimers are all noted.

And based on everyone's feedback so far we probably won't "meet". We will post new topics and have a week or two long discussion about them so everyone who wants to can contribute and ask questions. Chatters scares me and won't work on my iPad just for the record!

#12 2011-11-09 00:40:56

Lisa

1. Absolutely! =D
2. Anytime is good for me, but am content with the consensus emerging of Jan. 2012
3. Every 2 weeks seems good to cover a topic
4. & 5. For those of us with "interesting" internet challenges, I'd prefer that topics be posted that we can add to at our leisure, with a starting point on what we are reading.
6. Hutt seems fine - my copy arrived last week, and I like that people can download it (so everyone who wants to can play!). If anyone has a good additional reference/article related to the current topic, perhaps they could post it at the time?
7. Please list topics you would like to see addressed - erm.... does it make sense to follow an order related to the book? (I haven't actually opened it yet :oops: - am completely enamored of the other book I ordered at the same time - The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An all-natural appropach to raising chickens and other fowl for home and market growers by Harvey Ussery)
8. My nomination for leader is the highly organized and thoughtful PG - doing a great job so far girl! And you can just ask if you want help, a stand-in, or a change .... :thumbsup:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#13 2011-11-09 01:56:56

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Thanks so much for getting things rolling PG! :thumbs: and IPF for your support :jumping:

1. Do you plan to participate in the Genetics Study Group?
Yes, feel like I need to know the basics and how it related to EOs.

I can do starting Dec as far as I know, we still have tons to do for winter.  Getting Christmas out of the way may be smart then we can set off with good momentum.

3. How often should a new topic be chosen (weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly)?  I think every 2 weeks means we will get through a fair bit of that list but not feel rushed.

4. What night(s) of the week and times (list time zone) can you generally participate (this assumes a set time for the group to meet)?  Most nights are good, I'm a night owl so matching with a western time zone is not a  problem

5. How should we "meet"?
     - IRC chat  I can't get java to work, can't seem to use it on this computer.  I'm a  horrific hunt and peck typer and can guarantee I will only be reading as all the words scroll by...
     - post a new topic thread, members read reference info then add to the tread as they learn the material -That seems best!

6. Do you agree with Hutt as our base reference book that all participants should have access to? Is there other references you suggest in addition to, or instead of, Hutt?

Sounds good, I haven't got mine yet either :whistle:

I honestly think you have it nailed PG.  Other areas of interest may pop up once we get started.

I think you are doing a great job PG  Thanks so much for everything so far!  :happycrowd" I am not that organized and am not an organizer type! Believe it or not! |:huh:

#14 2011-11-11 01:49:21

Lindy Lou

1) Yes It's time I learned something new
2) After Christmas works for me. My brain might not be so muddled.
3) Weekly or Bi weekly
4) Anytime
5) I like the post thread idea
6) Yes My book arrives on Monday
7) I need to learn everything and hopefully this old dog can learn new tricks.
8) Seeing how she sounds young and enthusiastic why not PG? :applause:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2011-11-11 01:51:53)

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#15 2011-11-11 02:39:15

poplar girl
Administrator

Hum...what makes me sound young Lindy Lou? Just curious! Last time i was asked for ID was this fall at Boston Pizza waiting for our chickens to be ready to pick up from the processor. It was so much fun to be IDed until I saw the look of horror on the waitresses face when she saw my birth date :lol: But i'll take what I can get...at 35 the illusion of being young is enough!

Thanks to everyone who has answered the questions so far! It's looking like a January start so order your Hutt reference book and be ready! We will need to short list the topics as we will probably only get through about 6-8 before spring. I don't mind trying to lead the group but please let me know as we go what's working or what isn't! I tend to get carried away and it needs to remain FUN above all else so keep me in line =D

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-11-11 02:40:04)

#16 2011-11-11 04:19:42

Lindy Lou

Well I was born the same year as Queen Elizabeth was crowned!!! So anyone  born after that is young to me and anyone asking for my ID would need a seeing eye dog. :whistle:
LL

Some of us are driven by the need to make animals a part of our lives. We are soothed by their presence, fascinated by their behavior, and amused by their antics.

#17 2011-11-11 07:53:26

Skylinepoultry
Website

As busy as my schedule is I'm more than ready to do some learning. Can never learn enough about poultry. Let's get this paprty started.
:happycrowd"

#18 2011-11-16 21:46:21

Lindy Lou

I got my copy of Hutt's book and opened it up to start reading. Well nobody told me I would need a dictionary to get through the first few pages. :sick:
it's going to be a long winter  :sick:

Last edited by Lindy Lou (2011-11-16 21:46:57)

#19 2011-11-16 21:58:25

Skylinepoultry
Website

Lindy Lou wrote:

I got my copy of Hutt's book and opened it up to start reading. Well nobody told me I would need a dictionary to get through the first few pages. :sick:
it's going to be a long winter  :sick:

Lol, its overwhelming when you start going over it the first time. I couldn't tell you half of what I've read and didn't soak in. Id read the same thing 20 times and be like, HUH..That's why were all gonna learn this together. I do better in group classes.

#20 2011-11-16 22:04:35

Maggiesdad

Mendel and the peas is as far as I ever got w genetics... :oops:

#21 2011-11-16 22:30:56

Lindy Lou

Oh Thank goodness it's not just me :applause: I was reading it thinking" What the heck is he talking about and what does that mean?"
LL

#22 2011-11-17 00:22:26

nuthatch333

1. Yes, although new to this breed it seems to be one of complex colouring and it makes it so much easier to share experience and knowledge.

Now for those that DO plan to participate:

2. January works for me.
3. weekly would be nice
4.  I check sites pretty regularly, anytime works for me.
5. a new topic thread with each subject, that will make it easier to go back when you want to reference a particular subject.
6. Hutt is not a book I am familiar with. Can you direct me to where I can download it?
7. I would be happy with those already mentioned.
8. PG you are doing great.

#23 2011-11-17 00:30:12

poplar girl
Administrator

This is the book:
http://www.amazon.ca/Genetics-Fowl-Fred … amp;sr=8-1

It is available as a free download (piece by piece) somewhere on the Internet as well.

We will find a way to make it interesting and informative! Applied genetics (as ini direcrly to your current or future EO flock) is MUCH better than general genetics i am quite sure! Hutt is just a learning tool ;)

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-11-17 00:34:33)

#24 2011-11-17 03:48:28

ScottMcCray

I'm like Sergeant Shultz - "I know Noth-ING!" - :huh: but would love to tag along. I do have experience with setting up IRC chat...so I can bring something to the party. :hi:

#25 2011-11-17 13:13:02

Flat Rock Farm

I'm with Scott and know nothing.  Am afraid it is beyond my simple brain :Crazy: but I will try to follow along.  I have tried looking at genetic "stuff" but for me I find it at bit much to digest :oops:

Adverts

Board footer