Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-01 03:13:13

Lisa

Earlobe colour

Hello!

I was working on a chart for myself to easily keep track of the characteristics of my EO's; goal is to know what I'm looking for, and see how close I'm getting to it with my breeding. =D

I came across a defect for EO's, which is white on the earlobe. Most of the pictures of north american eo's seem to have this, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing? The tufty looking thing on the side of the head above the longer red earlobe, yes? Can be clearly seen on my avatar picture.

Could y'all have a look at your pics and show me the difference between a straight red earlobe and one that has white? And how do we get rid of the white? (other than Miss Clairol....)

Thanks!

PS - Once I've finished my chart, I'll post it to the site for critique, and when we have a version that contains everything we need, I'll re-post so everyone who wants to can use it.

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

2011-11-01 03:13:13

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-01 03:24:32

Susan
Administrator

Re: Earlobe colour

Lol lisa. Your avatar pic shows the RIGHT colour. Those are the feathers covering the EAR. The earlobe is fact perfectly red! :)

#3 2011-11-01 03:44:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

These are birds with a white earlobe, the only exception to the rule that while earlobed birds lay white eggs and red eared lay brown...the penedesencas

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/Chanties2011068.jpg

#4 2011-11-01 13:11:47

Lisa

Thanks Ladies! =D

Green but keen, can ya tell????

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#5 2011-11-01 13:44:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It's the best way to be :thumbs:  Glad that helped.  What is worse, is when you are looking at a bird int he right spot trying to decide if it had what earlobes, like 2 or those hens are half white!  They are many genes that work on the amount of earlobe white just to help matters!

#6 2011-11-01 21:31:27

ipf

The traits are not actually linked (to the best of my knowledge); it's just that the Mediterranean breed have been developed with white eggs and earlobes, and other breeds tend to have neither. Once you get into crosses between breeds, there will be LOTS of exceptions to the white earlobe-white egg rule, as the traits assort pretty much independently, and both are polygenic.

#7 2011-11-01 23:48:59

poplar girl
Administrator

Good topic...one that took me some time to understand a little while back. I mean really, how many people care what color their chickens ear lobs are :huh:

I have been very pleased to discover that white earlobes do NOT appear to be a problem in our EO population :thumbs: lots of other things cropping up but not that one. I have noticed some of my EOs have brown feather ear patches and some are white...does that matter?

Both my d'uccles and dorkings have white earlobe issues...I have an intense dislike of white earlobes :banginghead:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#8 2011-11-02 00:57:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I like the way white earlobes look, but not when they are supposed to be red! :whistle:

Adverts

Board footer