Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#51 2011-11-23 01:40:29

Susan
Administrator

Re: My EOs can be MEAN!

Yah, I guess Sparkle is just a softy at heart! (Thank goodness). His sons seem to be doing the same thing the last while- test me, "Ooh picked up and cuddled", all is good. I have had roos like the Gold Laced Wyandottes where that approach did not work at all. You're right, it all depends on their nature. I have kids, so if a roo is going to live here, they must be gentlemen. I'm not going to hurt them, and they also need to know they can't hurt anyone else, either.

2011-11-23 01:40:29

AdBot
Advertisements

#52 2012-02-08 15:43:22

Amblecroft
Website

poplar girl wrote:

I do have to agree with you in regards to the EOs need to go outside. They are first out the door every morning like a herd of elephants and last to go in to roost at night. Silly girls will be out in the pitch black darkness if i let them! Winter confinement could be a real issue for me if that is the case.

I know this is old news, but I just noticed the post and wanted to also say how surprised I am at how late the EO's stay up in the evening.  It is almost dark before they put themselves to bed!  Much later than all my other chickens of any breed.  I've often gone to the coop to shut them in for the night thinking they would be roosting and settled only to find the EOs still bopping about. :-)  Certainly a unique feature of the breed, I think.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#53 2012-02-09 00:04:24

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes mine do that too, and if half of them roosting in bed and hear me, they all come running out! :duh: So I creep about out there!

#54 2012-02-09 01:10:19

poplar girl
Administrator

I am pleased to say that they are at least dealing with winter confinement quite well (so far, knock on wood!).

This trait of staying up late is going to be a HUGE issue for me this summer so I had better start thinking on it now that you have reminded me MD. I like to be in bed by 10pm at the latest (and up by 5am) but its going to be light until after 11pm here by June! I foresee myself luring them in with treats every night as herding chickens does not work that well :net:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#55 2012-02-09 01:45:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Mine are trained (when they want to be) to a loud singsong "bedtime", I start waving my arms and saying that loudly and they look at each other and walk up the gangplank.  If they don't I clap my hands and say it louder and it usually works.  I never give them a sign I have food at bed time or there'd be no chance of them going to bed!   

And this... :net: sends any chooks here for the hills they loathe the net. The EOs are smart enough to run in the coop when they see it if they think it is meant for them.  They are too smart for our own good.  Partridge chanties are the only other late night stop outs here.

#56 2012-02-09 02:29:48

Maggiesdad

poplar girl wrote:

I am pleased to say that they are at least dealing with winter confinement quite well (so far, knock on wood!).

This trait of staying up late is going to be a HUGE issue for me this summer so I had better start thinking on it now that you have reminded me MD. I like to be in bed by 10pm at the latest (and up by 5am) but its going to be light until after 11pm here by June! I foresee myself luring them in with treats every night as herding chickens does not work that well :net:

I'm hoping I can train Mitsy to herd them, even if she only brings them one at a time.
Wow this is going to be a busy summer.  :Crazy:

#57 2012-02-11 14:25:22

Amblecroft
Website

Ya, this staying up late was the first thing I noticed even as youngsters and they are apt to run out to greet you, or just to be nosey, if they have gone to bed! 

I have a couple of dogs that will herd my chickens and the EOs are the more difficult because they aren't intimidated by the dogs very much.

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#58 2013-02-01 17:59:12

dreamergirl

Ok, I'm going to pick up on this discussion now. ;)

I found, as my birds grew older, some of my Roos started to bite me when I'd put my hand out to them.  I culled out the Roos that were nippy (I was happy at the time that they were not of the color I wanted) and kept my two breeders, only to find that both of them developed the same traits.
Not only that, but one can be outright dangerous.  He wants to viciously attack me whenever I go into the coop.  He and I have had a few "dust ups", already, and I'm hoping that he's going to learn. 

My second roo, started the same thing, but then, something happened in the coop, and he's kind've off balance now, so doesn't bother anyone. (I suspect he had an accident as a result of a scrap the two of them may have had, as there was evidence of things knocked over)

I'm wondering if this isn't an inherited trait of the breed, because so many of my roos seem to have had that tendency.

#59 2013-02-01 19:09:25

Flat Rock Farm

dreamergirl I am sorry to hear your boys have turned nasty.  I don't "cuddle" the roosters like some people do and maybe I should, I just give their space, now I do handle the hens.  I thought I was the only EO owner that had problems with roosters as the two I had last year are now gone because of that.  The other reason I did not want to keep them was I was told that it can or is an inheritable trait which I did not want to pass along to any offspring.

#60 2013-02-01 23:16:09

dreamergirl

I'm guilty of "cuddling" as many of my birds as possible.  :lol:
So, it's not because they were not handled that these guys turned nasty.   I'm concerned about that trait being passed along, too. 
Actually, I did a couple of test batches for fertility, and in one batch, only one out of six eggs were fertile, and I put three eggs under a silkie, and only one of those were fertile, so that may be a factor in whether or not I keep them, too.

Flat Rock Farm wrote:

dreamergirl I am sorry to hear your boys have turned nasty.  I don't "cuddle" the roosters like some people do and maybe I should, I just give their space, now I do handle the hens.  I thought I was the only EO owner that had problems with roosters as the two I had last year are now gone because of that.  The other reason I did not want to keep them was I was told that it can or is an inheritable trait which I did not want to pass along to any offspring.

#61 2013-02-02 01:45:59

poplar girl
Administrator

I think it is genetic and just like any breed some of the EO roosters do turn mean. I culled one of mine, Adonis, early this fall when he kept getting worse and worse. I think at a certain point they don't rehabilitate, they are mean right down to the bone (or genes!) and it's best to just get ride of them.

I have an EO hen who bites as well. And out of all my EOs hatched last year the ONLY one that bites is her daughter. I will not be breeding either one this year.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#62 2013-02-02 14:34:06

Micah and Kiah

Claire gave me good advice. I visited her and she showed me how to just gently grab the scruff of thier necks for a few seconds if they try to bite you.  They go away and sulk and don't do it again, unless of course they do!  If doing this repeatedly doesn't work then they aren't accepting you as leader or are really mean.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#63 2013-02-04 23:52:29

dreamergirl

Well, just about an hour ago, I was going out of the coop, and the roo decided he was going to go on the attack again.
I had the feed pail in my hand and unlatched the door, turned around to watch the roo as I was stepping outside, and he tried to come at my legs.

I held the pail between myself and the roo, and just like a lightening bolt, he cleared the pail, flying fast and high straight up and hit me in the face!  Now, I'm only five feet tall, but I've never had a roo fly up at me so high and fast in my life!  :shock:

He didn't get his hooks into me or draw blood but hit me in the cheek with his legs, and did it ever hurt!  I grabbed him by the neck and almost wrung it right then and there.  I'm done with him! He's going to seriously hurt someone! :(

Last edited by dreamergirl (2013-02-04 23:53:28)

#64 2013-02-05 00:58:34

gubi
Website

Only one thing to do with this kind of rooster :eat: Mean roosters have no place there are lots of nice EO roosters out there.  Chicken keeping is a hobby and as such should be fun.  Having to worry about being attacked by a rooster is not!  You were lucky not to get hurt more.  Biting legs as adolescents I can tolerate as they will grow out of it if you teach them not too.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#65 2013-02-05 01:30:39

Susan
Administrator

Totally unacceptable. He has to go. I am really shocked at these incidents. I haven't ween that in my boys at all. I will definitely chose a sprig or two over that kind of nonsense! Good luck. Don't let it happen again.

#66 2013-02-05 03:51:23

Micah and Kiah

I am glad you weren't hurt.  Please get rid of him. No one wants you hurt and that personality isn't safe or typical of EOs.
I wish you were a little closer.  I've got a 9 month old (Back-Up), a 6 month old and the two 8 week old cockerals that are all looking very nice and are all quite sweet tempered. They all have yellow legs, and beaks, have correct colouration, straight toes and nice barring. Are you ever down to this part of Ontario?  I think you are about 6 hours away from us.  These guys aren't going to be for sale but I am willing to give a few away free to serious, EO loving breeders. ( If you are interested we will figure out how to get it to you, just promise me you'll spoil him rotten)  Back-Up hates being second fiddle to Elevator and so he gets into scraps but he fell asleep when I bathed him and fell asleep in Claire's arms...and he is ready to breed.  He was a slow grower but is nicely proprotioned.

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

#67 2013-02-05 13:30:10

Maggiesdad

ERROR 404 MEAN ROOSTER CANNOT BE FOUND.

Try a new search in the kitchen domain... url  @.crockpot

:shock:

#68 2013-02-05 14:21:23

Flat Rock Farm

:funny: :funny: :funny: Again you have given me my laugh for the day =D

#69 2013-02-05 14:43:11

dahlisgrams

:shock: Sounds like it's time for that mean rooster to go!! I agree with everyone on this. Wow. :eat:

I'm glad you were not hurt! He could have taken your eye out... :wise:

#70 2013-02-05 15:21:01

dreamergirl

No kidding!   I grew up on a farm and we always had chickens, and I've never seen a rooster that bad, or fly up that high to attack.  You know how when a roo jumps out, they kind've bring their feet up and hit with feet and knees?   
Well, that's what he did and one of his knees hit me in the cheekbone.  He had crap on his foot and it ended up in my hair. 

I'm still in shock trying to figure out how he made it that high in one jump.  I think I could've gotten good money for that video if someone wouldve been recording it.  ;)

dahlisgrams wrote:

:shock: Sounds like it's time for that mean rooster to go!! I agree with everyone on this. Wow. :eat:

I'm glad you were not hurt! He could have taken your eye out... :wise:

#71 2013-02-05 15:33:15

dreamergirl

Thanks for the offer :)
I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do yet, as I currently only have room for 3 varieties plus my Silkies, and I've really wanted to get into some other Orpington colors because I am very in love with my Orps.  ;)

I do baby my chickens though. :P  I dont think anyone's chickens for miles around are more spoiled than mine. :lol:

I will certainly give it some thought, though, as I love my EO hens.  They are so pretty and tame!

Micah and Kiah wrote:

I am glad you weren't hurt.  Please get rid of him. No one wants you hurt and that personality isn't safe or typical of EOs.
I wish you were a little closer.  I've got a 9 month old (Back-Up), a 6 month old and the two 8 week old cockerals that are all looking very nice and are all quite sweet tempered. They all have yellow legs, and beaks, have correct colouration, straight toes and nice barring. Are you ever down to this part of Ontario?  I think you are about 6 hours away from us.  These guys aren't going to be for sale but I am willing to give a few away free to serious, EO loving breeders. ( If you are interested we will figure out how to get it to you, just promise me you'll spoil him rotten)  Back-Up hates being second fiddle to Elevator and so he gets into scraps but he fell asleep when I bathed him and fell asleep in Claire's arms...and he is ready to breed.  He was a slow grower but is nicely proprotioned.

#72 2013-02-05 15:46:27

Maggiesdad

Yes indeed they can get some altitude - the boys in my soup crew thread can (could ;)) fly up to an 8' limb. They look like wild turkeys!

#73 2013-02-05 23:46:55

dreamergirl

Well, the Rooster is now in the freezer :eat:
I think the girls are happy to have some peace and quiet in the coop. ;)

#74 2013-02-05 23:52:46

kenya

Good for you! Mean roosters only breed more mean *#*#! Yes he could have really injured you better safe than sorry!

#75 2013-02-05 23:57:27

Micah and Kiah

Vegitarian and pacifist but I agree.  Thank goodness you weren't hurt.  The girls will appreaciate the new calm too!  Hey, Greyhound goes right into your town...maybe they'd give a seat to one of my boys to travel to you!

All the best,

Kiah and Micah

Adverts

Board footer