Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2011-11-03 01:10:43

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: My EOs can be MEAN!

Oh dear, I know the one you mean. :whistle:  He would have been :eat:

2011-11-03 01:10:43

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2011-11-03 01:17:27

Flat Rock Farm

:lol: well his on chance #3 and seems to be doing fine :whistle:

#28 2011-11-03 01:33:37

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:jumping: Good he's rare, eh?

#29 2011-11-11 01:51:13

Susan
Administrator

How are they doing PG and Flat Rock? Everyone settling down?

#30 2011-11-11 02:21:52

poplar girl
Administrator

Yep it's been a slow process but everyone is in the winter coop and the ones integrated in with the rest are doing much better. My youngest two girls think they are hard done by but none of the other chickens even pay attention to them anymore so they are fine. 

We did cull grandpa EO though. His legs were so stiff, maybe with the cold, anyway DH culled him for me. It was not an easy decision but with winter and limited space and all the rest, well too late for second thoughts now.

Wellie got a girl friend in his winter pen for company. He does like her and is pretty good to his lady. And he has remained very good with me as well, I love his personality. The only thing he loves more than his lady is me. And the only thing he loves more than me is treats!

Yep, I think I have everyone mostly settled in for winter now!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#31 2011-11-11 02:26:46

Susan
Administrator

Good to hear! Sorry about grandpa EO.

#32 2011-11-11 08:01:51

Skylinepoultry
Website

I noticed that the hens have all of a sudden started singleing out a specfic girl. I thought she was just sleepy the past couple days so I watched real close and they won't let her get to the water or food. I had to pull her out so she could eat and drink. Makes me wonder why they just do it out of the blue.

#33 2011-11-11 12:27:32

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Shame about Grandpa EO, it's always sad but at least he got a good last summer.  I am keeping a close eye on Curly as he has looked stiff legged and it's slowly been getting worse this summer.  He is heavy and I don't know if it was from jumping down out of the layer coop or what.  I put him on antibiotics as the foot he favours feels hot and the only thing I can see is a broken toenail, so it could be that but the stiffened movement earlier wouldn't have come from that so I don't know.  Right now he has a whole 8 by 8 coop and same sized run to himself in the barn.  I hadn't pressure washed the small tractors when I wanted him in, so he has the best housing arrangement of all.

I am glad your birds are settling down PG.  Mine are still so young, I can't put them all together in an enclosed or semi enclosed area, so I am keeping the siblings/hathces together til the roos bother the pullets, then will put all the still too young pullets in one big tractor coop and all the boys in the other.  I have a feeling we'll be processing extra roosters in January :sick: or the spring.  Yep I think a used sportsman and a few big hatches get started and done early on the breeding year so the boys can be done by now. :chook:  We are going to get BR turkeys again anyway and will need them early.  :eat:

That is wierd Skyline, good thing you noticed.  I think sometimes animals can smell if there's something wrong with another member of their group.  Hope your henny is OK now. 

OK I'm off out to let the chooks out and take some pics of the snow...we are white over this morning :thumbsup:

#34 2011-11-11 13:29:02

Flat Rock Farm

Susan wrote:

How are they doing PG and Flat Rock? Everyone settling down?

Well the one hen that had the small spot pecked by her tail seems fine, but the other one that was pecked quite badly at the base of her tail was doing well.  I had put a chicken saddle on her but yesterday it somehow got off.....well they pecked at it again to the point of dripping blood.  So have her separated again as did not have time to put the saddle back on her.  I am still not sure if it's the other EO hens or the Buff Chanteclers.  The Chanties are going to a new home on Nov. 19 so I will have to wait and see if there are any changes after they are gone
The white legged roo has tried once more, but not as aggressively as the first time to try and have a go at me, so I don't know at this point what I am or am not going to do with him. :huh:

#35 2011-11-11 17:16:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oh dear, bet you'll be glad the when the chanties are gone.  I find all things being equal they are the feather eaters here!  The odd time the sumatras and pennies will and the EEs were bad.

#36 2011-11-11 17:38:57

Flat Rock Farm

My worse feather eaters are my standard Silver Laced Wyandottes :sad:  Well it's too bad as the chanties have turned out beautiful and have JUST started laying, Unfrotunatley I have no other pen to put them in so they would be separate.  I am just so short on eggs layers right now, they are either molting or juvenile. :banginghead:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-11-11 17:40:55)

#37 2011-11-11 20:58:29

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We were talking about it yesterday, right now I am getting 3 and a bit eggs a day!  The bits are from Dolly and Violet.  All my hens are 18 months to 3 1/2 years old, weren't getting any extra light and were molting!  We just put the lights on a timer so we get some eggs out of 50 odd hens.  :chook:

I could have sold flats and flats in Stratford next week. :banginghead: I have another 20 or so girls too young to lay yet, though the chanties might start in the next month or two.  I haven't seen a green egg since like August...they are all pale brown, EOs and Chanty I think.

#38 2011-11-21 01:50:21

Flat Rock Farm

Well the Buff Chanties went to their new home yesterday and today my two EO boys are fighting like crazy :huh:  No sure if this is just coincidental or what.  My yellow legged boy is really after the white legged boy.  Anyone with some suggestions????? Do I separate them or take them both away from the hens???  I am afraid one of them is going to get hurt. :(

#39 2011-11-21 02:09:47

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Depending on how naughty they are, if they are evenly matched for size, then I'd probably let them sort it out.  If you are are really worried, you can either take one out (the spare, the one you don't plan to breed) and leave the other in with the girls.

#40 2011-11-21 02:33:04

poplar girl
Administrator

I am a wimp when it comes to letting roosters "sort it out" but i do know that if you separate them it will be almost impossible to put them back together so you need to decide. I find roosters a big pain some days :banginghead:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#41 2011-11-21 22:51:41

Flat Rock Farm

Well the white legged one is definatley being the more submissive and the yellow legged one is chancing him all over the place.  He is even trying to hide behind the hens!!  This is the same white legged roo that had a run at me a couple of times.  Nothing too serious yet as far as injuries just some bruising on his comb.  Yes they are a big pain in the butt PG, but what are you going to do when you want some chicks :huh:

#42 2011-11-21 23:51:05

Susan
Administrator

Yah, men, I mean roos are a pain most of the time. :) :hi:

#43 2011-11-22 00:32:28

poplar girl
Administrator

Susan wrote:

Yah, men, I mean roos are a pain most of the time. :) :hi:

:lol:

Yes I suppose you need them for chicks :chook: nice that you only need one for every 10 plus hens though ;) too bad its the yellow legged fellow.

My Adonis took a run at me a couple days ago. I told him straight up (while he hung upside down by his feet) that i was going to use him and loose him after this spring if he didn't reconsider his attitude.

#44 2011-11-22 01:13:41

Lisa

Hmmmm....

My little charmer (see avatar) that I was so pleased with because he was "friendly" in the spring has turned into a big old testosterone-laden, bilateral-dancing, attacks anyone who comes into the pen with me and pecks my feet possesive ROOSTER! :banginghead:

Problem is that he is also faster than I am! I caught him yesterday, squashed him to the ground, held his neck and yelled at him. Today he attacked the handyman (who politely asked me to remove him so he could get some work done), grabbed my pant leg and pecked my boot. And I couldn't CATCH the little wretch!

If I can catch him next time, I think I'll have the "Adonis" talk with him.....

Unfortunately, he's my best rooster (yellow legs, clean comb, good size, good colour).

I'm planning on putting this guy and his slightly smaller brother in with some hens this week. Anybody got a guess if this will get better or worse? I'm hoping the dominant guy who thinks I'm his hen will transfer his affections to Peach and Plum (who think I am their rooster and squat when I let them out in the morning!). I'm also hoping he won't beat the tar out of his brother when this happens (he chases him away from me now, but doesn't seem to be damaging him).

Any guesses, or ways to make this easier?

Last edited by Lisa (2011-11-22 01:16:56)

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#45 2011-11-22 02:59:58

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I'd keep grabbing and holding him til he cries, they usually stop here !  Remember Paula, we had a funny thread on this in the spring.... poor little rooster pride hurt by the nasty big chicken lady!

Usually they wait for you at the entrance to the run or coop, when you see that interested look, and them get lighter on their feet, you can grab them then, or wait for the little beak dive towards your wrist or a pant leg grab.  If their behaviuor is no stronger than that,  a vice grip on the scruff of the neck for 10 or 15 seconds gets them screaming, pulling away and looking at you quizzically when you are done.  Actual launching at someones legs I think warrants bodily messing with the roo and either tucking him under your arm so he can't move a muscle for a while (while you do easy chores) or I have done the upside-down-hang manoeuvre when they keep trying.  EOs are smart IMO and usually learn quick what you will do when they do X.  If it's something they don't like, 2-3 corrections should work.  You may have to do another couple of corrections on subsequent  days as they "forget".  If they continue to come at you, no matter how nice, you may want to think harder.  We've never had one persistently do it and if they really adore you, they seem ashamed and surprised when you correct them.  Good luck.

#46 2011-11-22 11:44:51

Flat Rock Farm

LOL yes Claire I remember that thread, was too funny.   :lol:  I think Ruff had some hilarious come backs on that one.

PG is the white legged roo that is the underdog, the yellow legged roo "rules"  I am hoping it calms down soon.

#47 2011-11-22 12:31:42

poplar girl
Administrator

If you are still able to let them outside now will be a better time than later to try to have the roosters establish a pecking order and work things out. It gets worse in a small space I find.

Claire's advice is perfect for dealing with his aggression towards you. I hope it works. Those are actually all the steps I followed with Adonis but last weekend he made me mad so upside down he went. Catching the little beggar is important as you don't want him learning to hit and run! We went a few days without any issues but I don't think he's cured.

I ended up eating one of my older roosters that was acting like your yellow legged guy. He never attacked me, just treated me exactly like a hen...peck my boots, wing down dance for me but a real pain to be around and attacked other people....like yours he was big with nice yellow legs. It's a tough decision. Get chicks first and then decide!

#48 2011-11-22 23:53:04

Susan
Administrator

When Sparkle was in teenage mode last spring (2010), he tried to assert his dominance over me a few times. I took a bit of a different approach. I picked him up and scratched is neck. Within a minute he had his eyes closed and snuggled in. I would carry him around for awhile, give him one more scratch and set him down. He is now a perfect gentleman. :)

#49 2011-11-23 01:02:40

poplar girl
Administrator

Adonis has been really good the past few days. I can see the little wheels turning in his head when I walk in...should I try it?....naw, not today :doI?: then I tell him he is a good boy and give him some scratch in his treat dish.

Susan I like your approach. I think on certain EOs it would work very well. Adonis HATES to be held though, I have spent a lot of time holding him, petting him....he will fight like mad at every chance to try to get away. That's when we moved onto tougher love. Each one is different I think.

#50 2011-11-23 01:13:25

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

True!  As I said the ones that really love the cuddles do look hurt or puzzled (?) with the correction, I cuddle them all the time, so I'm not sure that would fix them but is worth a try.  I do have some backpeddlers when I pick them up and usually I get scratched and/or covered in poo :sick: so just pick up the ones that like it now they are bigger!

Adverts

Board footer