Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-11-01 03:08:49

poplar girl
Administrator

My EOs can be MEAN!

I am integrating flocks. My laying flock consisted of 5 dorking, 2 Easter eggers, 2 marans and 4 EOs. Yesterday I added 2 young EO pullets and my trio of older EOs. I hate integrating flocks but for winter I must and better now than later when they can't go outside.

Well the rooster is fine, no one picks on him but he isn't keeping the peace either. All four new hens are being terrorized mostly by the other four EOs. My other breeds of girls are much more laid back. One of my dorking hens in fact flew to my shoulder to watch the whole affair while subtly reminding me why dorkings are such good chickens.

I want to paddle their little EO butts! And to top it off my Blondie decided to bite my leg and it hurt. Above my boot through my jeans not once but several times. What's with that!?

Here's hoping tomorrow is more compatible!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-11-01 03:08:49

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-11-01 03:20:15

Susan
Administrator

Re: My EOs can be MEAN!

Lol! I have to admit, mine did ok on the integration. I even put all the silkie girls in with them because I was afraid they would get picked on in the other group. Aside from thinking they are sure to be squished like bugs every time Sparkle climbs on to the silkies, everyone has been great. (Please don't let Monika get any weird silkie Eo mix in her eggs!) I might even move the dorkings in with them as they are bottom dog in the main coop. Hang in there PG, you just need the roo to step up. Sparkle really does rule the roost and it helps.

#3 2011-11-01 03:49:08

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

They will settle down, EOs love being the boss, which works better when the others breeds instantly submit!  Specially dorkings!!

Sorry you got nipped, ouch.  Maybe she was try to make sure she was above you in the pecking order in all the mayhem.  One of my little dudes nipped my wrist for the first time yesterday, so I had to grab him gently and firmly by the scruff till he cried and tried to run away...he left me alone today except for a cuddle :love:

#4 2011-11-01 12:10:35

poplar girl
Administrator

I did indeed pull my Blondies feathers and show her I was top chicken on each occasion and I am surely hoping my chicken psychology 101 is sufficient to get the point accross!

Susan...Silkie x EO crosses you say, now that sounds like fun =D

And I did expect Grandpa EO to help keep the peace but It seems he is not up for that. I may have to consider moving a different roo in with the girls for winter but I though the old man would do better in with the flock than in a pen on his own...give him a reason to get up every morning ;)

I know it will work out...just hating how stressful it is right now for them and me!

One more move to make...Wellie and Easton (dorking) are still out in the summer coop...I was hoping to borrow another month for them so winter confinement isn't so long. They are supposed to room together in the winter coop but not sure how that's going to go in a confined space. Thing is it's supposed to be -12C overnight with a daytime high of -6C by the weekend! I guess I will see what the long term forecast says...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-11-01 13:56:12

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

It's funny, no one tells you, you need to know chicken psychology when you get them.  Food, water and shelter they say..... you soon learn don't you, it just makes things go smoother!  Just spending time with them helps, you learn the noises and the behaviour!  I guess we put them first and try and look out for them

#6 2011-11-01 23:50:21

Flat Rock Farm

I agree they can be VERY nasty, I had been slowly introducing the pair I got from Gubi in the summer.  Well the one day I went to work for four hours I came home to find the one cowered in the nest box with her neck pecked so bad it started from the top of her head all the way down the neck, could even see bone.  I was furious as had never seen that "ugly" side of them.  Fortunately I cleaned and care for her wounds, gave her some extra TLC and surprisingly survived, most of her feathers have grown back except for a small piece at the back of her head and am sure that will cover in over time. So she now hangs out with my Araucana rooster and he loves her.  Also two days ago had to separate another hen which has been with the group since they hatched, they had pecked a spot at the base of her tail until it was a big wound and bleeding, so am nursing her along as well.  They are great with people just not with each other I'm thinking :huh:

#7 2011-11-02 00:08:52

Susan
Administrator

Wow, I'm surprised with this- I haven't seen it. Mine will "doink" each other on the head now and then but nothing worse- I have been putting all of my "underdogs" in with the EOs, because they are the only ones that accept them.  . :huh:

#8 2011-11-02 00:56:51

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

We've only ever had doikers...wondering if it is in bred temperament in a  few or possible environmental triggers, or both?

#9 2011-11-02 01:25:16

gubi
Website

I had some troubles with my first batch of chicks this spring but haven't had any since.  I have about 75 chickens running together from silkies to EO's and they all get along fine.  My big rooster was actually the first to come down to mingle with the youngstock after I opened the fence to make one huge pasture a couple of months ago, he didn't chase anyone or fought with anyone he was just there.  I like to get everyone in one huge group in late summer when they are out on pasture and have lots of room to be in their own groups but are starting to know each other well before they need to go into tighter winter spaces.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#10 2011-11-02 01:28:53

poplar girl
Administrator

It is really good to have members post on problems as the bad things that happen need to be shared and learned from too! That sounds quite vicious flat rock farm!

I definately think behavior is a Genetic x Environmental interaction. I'm just not good enough at chicken psychology to know what environmental triggers are important.

So far no major carinage here. I have been feeding and watering the young girls at night to make sure they are eating and drinking. Not sure if that will make things worse and slow down the iteration but I am not good at tough love!

#11 2011-11-02 01:32:18

Flat Rock Farm

Well I keep the all my birds in the barn, they have their breed individual pens but I am thinking the EO's need to get outside.  I give them heads of lettuce or cabbage to give them something different to peck at, I just haven't seen that much damage done in any of my birds before.  Some feather pecking yes, but to attack another one to the point of making the back of another's neck look like hamburger :sick:
Now this other one's tail?????

#12 2011-11-02 02:10:50

poplar girl
Administrator

I do have to agree with you in regards to the EOs need to go outside. They are first out the door every morning like a herd of elephants and last to go in to roost at night. Silly girls will be out in the pitch black darkness if i let them! Winter confinement could be a real issue for me if that is the case.

#13 2011-11-02 02:12:07

poplar girl
Administrator

I wonder if I should move this to "challenges of the breed". It might be better filed there...

#14 2011-11-02 02:27:06

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yes move it there PG, that's why we have it.  I want people to know all the ins and outs, ups and downs

Ours are indoor every winter and do fine.  They don't really like walking on snow, but we have a covered area they can scratch around in and they always go out to it.  Ours (and Violet) are first out but the partridge chanteclers are usually the last in....

#15 2011-11-02 11:30:03

Flat Rock Farm

Well leave it to me to have the unusual or weird things happen.  Pare for the course, I just really take good care of my birds so I get a upset when something like this happens :banginghead:
I will just have to put little neck pecked EO hen and the Araucana roo aside as have them in the main walkway so I can let the EO's out.

#16 2011-11-02 11:47:36

poplar girl
Administrator

Maybe you just have a particularly mean hen or two Flat Rock? Each one certainly comes with their own personality! And I actually doubt you are alone in having weird stuff happen! No indeed...one of my d'uccles almost died of exposure this spring when I went away for 2 days as she was too slow to learn how to go up the chicken ramp so she huddled outside with no food or water in the cold for two days as my DH didn't catch on...see weird stuff. June Bug road in my coat for a whole day when I got home with frequent feeding and watering to warm up, I felt so bad!

I know I am very unhappy with the impact that not having an outdoor space for the youngest to go to has had. The pen raised ones seem much more flighty and get upset by everything. The more I expose the young birds to the more adaptable and confident they seem to be as adults. So that's my goal for next year, to hatch in large enough batches early enough in the year that they can all have time outside to become "real chickens".

Keep in mind most people with chooks just feed and water them as Claire said and simply don't pay enough attention to notice the rest. Chickens die or live unhappy lives in coops around the world every day, weird stuff happens every day, just that only us crazy chicken people pay enough attention or care enough to worry about it and talk about it :)

#17 2011-11-02 16:16:40

Flat Rock Farm

Well PG I am thinking the same, one or two nasty girls, just not sure who??  I would love to be able to let all my birds outside but unfortunately the style of barn I have does not allow this to be done very easily.  Built on a hill so the back side drops 10FT and the front side I still need steps to get in, plus I have the goose pen/run along that side so I have no place to put anything out for them.  Other than let them out and run willy nilly, but have to careful as the neighbors JRT likes to come for a visit and he chances them with intent to kill.  So unless I built some extensive outside runs for them or tractors I am stuck. :sad:

#18 2011-11-02 18:08:09

gubi
Website

electric flock netting works great.  It's not cheap but portable.  The EO's don't need much for shelter in the summer time.  Some roosts with a roof, some shade and some where dry to put the feed.
My batch of EO's that pecked feathers where raised inside as well but the feather picking got worse when they were first put on pasture.  I thought as soon as they get to go outside they would smarten up but it took a couple of weeks for them to stop.  My two younger groups where put out on pasture fairly young and never had any problems.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#19 2011-11-02 18:41:52

Flat Rock Farm

Well am going to give them some more leg stretching room today, even though they have more than enough square footage per bird.  As I was in with them this afternoon I noticed another hen has been picked on, just at the base of her tail.  I was tending to her and the fellow in my avatar decided to attack me!!!! I'm thinking what the heck is going on here, my EO's the nice are turning into my EO's the terrible :sad:
That's three hens now, this is making me very sad. :(

#20 2011-11-02 19:59:15

Flat Rock Farm

OK so I think I am have falsely accused my EO's :oops: I have five Buff Chanteclers in with them they were hatched with the EO's.  I sat longer with them this afternoon and it seems to be them that are showing the aggression not the EO's.  I have put chicken saddles on the ones with the wounds and they cover them up, but the chanties will have to go :(.  Too bad as they have just started laying.  :sad:
Still my one roo did come at me today so hopefully he doesn't do it again!!

#21 2011-11-02 23:40:47

poplar girl
Administrator

I detest aggressive roos. I will cull an almost perfect specimine just for being mean. I am still trying to understand what triggers them. I wonder some times if me being too careful around them (in an effort to avoid prompting the roo to attack me) is actually what causes them to be aggressive.

Sigh. I hope your roo just had a bad day Flat Rock. And very sorry to here about the feather pickers. I truely hope you can eliminate the problem. Why must things go sideways?

I saw a fox on my drive up to the house...headed out to look for any damages.

#22 2011-11-03 00:21:24

Flat Rock Farm

So do I PG, and when he did it I took him and pinned him down.  To say NO I'm the boss not you, the rest of the day he seemed fine???  I hope he doesn't do it again as he is a beautiful bird, but I do notice that he rules over the other rooster, so maybe he thought he would try me.  I am never careful around them I just go about my business as usual, although he did it when my back was turned as I was exiting the pen.
A friend is taking the chanties so I hope this solves the problem :huh:

Last edited by Flat Rock Farm (2011-11-03 00:21:58)

#23 2011-11-03 00:47:19

gubi
Website

Mean roosters have no place here either.  I have young kids and part of the reason I have chickens is for them if they need to worry about mean roosters they don't want to come to the chickens. I hope your rooster learned his lesson and the removal of the Chanties will get peace back into your coop.

#24 2011-11-03 01:05:52

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I have found some strains of chanties, EEs and sumatras the most feather pickery.  Sorry you are having so much trouble Paula.  That is a shame.  The roo is probably upset about the whole thing, at least he didn't try to breed you ;) 

I agree on the nasty roosters, and actually the first bird we ever killed and ate here was a tough chewy little chantcler hen that was about 3.5 - 4 months old.  She was absolutely nasty to the younger birds so she was history :eat:

#25 2011-11-03 01:08:01

Flat Rock Farm

Absolutely gubi, when you have young children and a nasty roo is a big NO.  My son is a grown man now but when he was around 4 years old I had a nasty New Hampshire rooster attack him, needless to say he went into "cold storage".  I still have a scare on my leg from the last nasty roo I had.

Adverts

Board footer