Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-31 11:41:11

poplar girl
Administrator

Chickens are actually mini heaters...

For the true chicken addicts only!

Yesterday my DH was helping me test the limits of the power supply to the winter coop with the -40C weeks of winter in mind. Better to test it now we figured. I like to keep the coop at least 10C in the winter, preferably about 15C. I can't stand the idea of my chooks with frozen combs and feet plus I like to spend time with them and any colder and I get chilled. 

With the oil filled heater on high, the florescent light bulbs on, vent fan running and a heat lamp plugged in to simulate the water heater (which may not be needed) we didn't blow the circuit :thumbsup: If i remember corectly our circuit can take about 15 volts which is about 1800 watts. We have two circuits to the barn area and everything except the chickens is on the other circuit so I could in fact run an extension cord and use a bit more power if needed :whistle:

Don't even think about the cost...it is huge if that heater has to run. We had incandescent lights last winter but we need the heat most at night when the lights are off so this year floresecent lights it is.

Until about -10C the heater didn't run last year. So where did the heat to keep the building warm to 15C come from without the heater :huh:  Well from the chooks of course! How much heat does a chicken produce? Wikianswers had that covered! A 5.5 lbs laying hen produces about 10 watts. So I have an additional 250 watts or so of chicken heat :thumbs: who says too many big roosters are a waste of feed =D

How many watts of chook heat will you be running this winter? :chook:

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

2011-10-31 11:41:11

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-31 12:26:28

Flat Rock Farm

Re: Chickens are actually mini heaters...

This sounds like one of those math questions in school, which by the way I am match challenged :Crazy:   LOL   

I'll have to figure it out later........with the help of a calculator :oops:

#3 2011-10-31 12:46:32

Susan
Administrator

With the ducks, turkeys, guineas, geese and about 100 chooks, I've got to be pushing 1000 watts! To bad that's spread over the barn and 2 coops though :(

#4 2011-11-01 01:15:12

poplar girl
Administrator

No math in the above...lots of numbers but no calculations.

It sure made my DH happy that I showed an interest in all that though...the things we do for our chickens ;)

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#5 2011-11-01 03:56:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Yeah we are looking at 1000 watts this winter,  though I doubt Dolly and Violet give off more than 3 watts! ;) 

Have you noticed how hot a hens tummy is before she lays her egg.  The belly almost seems inflamed.  I find with my Sumatras and Duccles I can tell if there's  hot eggie in there.  Maybe it's cos they are smaller!

#6 2011-11-01 05:03:19

Island Girl

pg way to test things out and be prepared! I also love how you very effectively rationalized keeping on an extra roo or two. I hope to only have around 300 watts of assorted hens and then 70 watts of EOs (inlcuding MV)  and more possible wattage in the bator! :lol:

XOX Monika

#7 2011-11-01 11:53:13

poplar girl
Administrator

I counted the d'uccles SLF and offset their tiny selves with the big roosters...my dorking boy is big! 3 watts is probably about right but I wonder if they are higher efficiency...Cricket sure felt nice and warm cuddled on my arm last night! Those tiny d'uccles so had me at hello. Oh and I think I have lined up new blood for spring =D I should be adding a few watts after the December show!

IG that's hilarious...chicks in the bator are indeed just more possible wattage :thumbsup: I bet out on the coast you could actually heat the coop with chicken watts...I think it's worth a try!

Next I think it would be appropriate to calculate how much fertilizer a chicken produces...the grass in the chicken runs and under each spot I had the tractor is so beautiful and green. There are actually rectangular green strips all over the barn yard at each place the tractor sat this summer...hum...

Last edited by poplar girl (2011-11-01 11:57:00)

#8 2011-11-01 13:52:33

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

poplar girl wrote:

I counted the d'uccles SLF and offset their tiny selves with the big roosters...my dorking boy is big! 3 watts is probably about right but I wonder if they are higher efficiency...Cricket sure felt nice and warm cuddled on my arm last night! Those tiny d'uccles so had me at hello. Oh and I think I have lined up new blood for spring =D I should be adding a few watts after the December show!

IG that's hilarious...chicks in the bator are indeed just more possible wattage :thumbsup: I bet out on the coast you could actually heat the coop with chicken watts...I think it's worth a try!

Next I think it would be appropriate to calculate how much fertilizer a chicken produces...the grass in the chicken runs and under each spot I had the tractor is so beautiful and green. There are actually rectangular green strips all over the barn yard at each place the tractor sat this summer...hum...

We had that last year with the tractors, I was trying to kill the grass so I could put a garden there.  That didn't happen, but the grass was so thick it bogged down the mower when I did that area :whistle:

And I agree on the D'Uccles, they are hot little things when they are sitting in your palm and your fingers are under their wings...so glad you are getting new blood (and me eventually... wink).   I love totally love mine even if they don't give out quite as much heat as the others ;)

Adverts

Board footer