Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-21 15:04:47

Susan
Administrator

Where is Everybody?

Don't tell me you have a life outside of chickens! :huh: Whatcha been up to?

2011-10-21 15:04:47

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-21 16:32:02

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Re: Where is Everybody?

This week...working and driving.  Yesterday, tidying up the house, de-crystallizing honey, filling honey jars, staging and photographing some antique tablecloths to list on Ebay, making French onion soup and pickled onions with all our undersized onions and ones I don't trust to keep.  I have been writing some more articles online and am now up to 75 of them!  I had an article featured last week on "Extreme Winter vegetable gardening" on the home page of one the sites so am quite proud of myself. =D  Now the whole site knows how truly wierd I am too! :Crazy:

I expect to be pressure washing tractors and coops tomorrow so the little dudes can go in the barn.  I am really hoping the sun comes out as it is miserable here, with the wind howling, it sounds like winter but it is rain not snow.  I think I will enjoy my French onion soup this afternoon and some home made bread! :eat:

#3 2011-10-21 18:10:54

poplar girl
Administrator

At work 11-12 hours a day trying to catch up after vacation. Also DH is changing jobs (we were working the same place) so fairwell dinners etc for him.

Today cleaning coops and delousing chickens (again)...these nasty lice just don't want to die :banginghead: later today building one more winter pen in the coop for the D'uccles and setting up the winter waterer.

Also need to clean up perennials, water beds one last time then shut down the outside water and roll up the hoses, declutter to allow easy snow removal, clean out the garage so I can park my truck in it for winter....

The fall weather has been just beautiful here so far. Hard frost last night though and ice on the water even inside shelters. But sunny and should reach about 10C today. Won't last much longer so need to use this time wisely.

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#4 2011-10-22 00:36:41

Susan
Administrator

Congrats Claire!! Ok so everyone is working hard- me too, because winter is coming. I'm afraid I'll get caught because of the nice fall and I still haven't finished all of the jobs I want to do. But Hey- keep on posting! I will go into withdrawal if there isn't something to read when I sit down :)

#5 2011-10-22 00:44:10

Island Girl

Hee hee, I know what you mean. I love to read new posts and hear what everyone is doing and hear about their thoughts etc. I too seem to be so busy and yet I look around and get dismayed at all I have yet to do before winter sets in. It is suppose to be a very bad winter this year. I imagine that we will get snow so I need to get my cloches on my garden beds and protect herbs and strawberries etc. None of which has been done yet! :whistle: Too many lunch dates and bumming around. Here is hoping that winter will wait just a bit longer for me to catch up!

XOX Monika

#6 2011-10-22 01:06:14

Skylinepoultry
Website

Were fixing to go into some haunted houses.  =D

#7 2011-10-22 01:08:29

gubi
Website

We are busy trying to get all the fall work done too here.  The weather has been miserable here in Ontario, very wet.  We whitewashed our dairy barn yesterday and had to have the cows outside most of the day in the rain and mud. 
20 years ago today we immigrated into this great country.  It was a beautiful fall day and all the field work was done already.  I had never seen our farm before we arrived that evening and we headed straight for the barn where they had just delivered a new Holstein heifer calf.  We started with a herd of Holstein but have switched our herd to purebred Brown Swiss over the years.  The next day we went to go to check out the Schools and the morning after that I was waiting on the road for the School bus.  The bus driver didn't even know he was supposed to pick me up and my English knowledge was limited to one year of high school English in Switzerland.  It was a very exciting and interesting time for us 20 years ago.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#8 2011-10-22 01:29:41

Susan
Administrator

Wow gubi, congrats on your 20 year anniversary here, and what an amazing story!  I bet it jhas been quite an adventure.  Do you get to travel back to Switzerland often? I bet you must still have a lot of family there. What brought you here?

#9 2011-10-22 01:30:33

poplar girl
Administrator

Hey Gubi, do you think the brown dairy cows I saw close the the boarder between Germany and Switzerland were Brown Swiss? There were lots of small herds close to the town of Fussen (supposted to be the double dots over the u). They looked quite alot like your cows and I wondered.

I took my camera out to take some pictures and didn't find time.

Island Girl, I hope this winter is not as bad as everyone says it will be...

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#10 2011-10-22 01:49:22

gubi
Website

They would have been Brown Swiss most likely.  Germany has a huge population of Brown Swiss.  We are using some German bulls in our herd.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#11 2011-10-22 03:04:51

pops coops
Website

so  nice to log onto a sane site, hy Susan

peafowl many colours, India blue, Silver pied, Black shoulder, Midnight black shoulder, Cameo, Buford bronze, Pieds, Whites, Purple pieds, Javas and others, Black copper marans, Wheaten marans, Blue cochins, Euskal Oiloa,  Americanas, BLRW, Jersey Giants, Silkies , Naked neck silkies, Ridley bronze Bourbon red, Guineas,  Eclectus, parrotlets, Bare Eyed Cockatoos Macaws.
http://popscoops.com/

#12 2011-10-22 03:14:09

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Congratulations Stefan!  We came August 25th 1989.  Funny how you remember the dates!

It sounds like we all have that winter push underway.  We went over the to do list today, and it's pressure washing, shoveling and moving stuff around for the weekend.  I sprained my ankle about 12 days ago and it is still swollen and sore....bet it'll be like a balloon by tomorrow night!  I rested it a bit last weekend while Nathan built a new top for one of our hay wagon bases so we can get all our stuff out of storage in one or 2 trips before the snow flies. Ugh.   Why do we have to have so much stuff! ?

Have fun at the haunted houses James.  Our house looks like one!  I noticed the cobwebs just got a coating of soot while I was away this week, after some starlings made a nest in April, and the new chimney sweep guy did a poor job the other day and the house smoked up after we put our furnace back on ....  Nathan had to shop vac it to finish the job :banginghead:  We have a steep steep roof and 2.5 storeys plus a basement so Nathan won't do the chimney!

#13 2011-10-22 03:37:14

Maggiesdad

TSI botched the shipment of my fan for the little giant :banginghead:, so I'm weighing the dangers of starting the incubation still air, then installing the fan and switching over to circulated... Go my note from James today saying the eggs are on the way - be safe, my little gold nuggets!

Hoping the fan shows up on Monday.

Spent the whole day catching up on about 7 years of technology, getting my wife's new laptop up and running. Have my pbucket acct now, so maybe I can post some chickpics soon!

#14 2011-10-22 04:36:05

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Oooh I can't wait Maggiesdad!  Love your avatar! Lovely black roo! :thumbs:  I hope the eggs arrive safely and the incubating goes smoothly.  I've never still air incubated, but there is lots of info online on it, or even here maybe if someone has experience with it.  Hope the computer is working well.  I've crashed 3 laptop and netbooks in the past year! :banginghead:  The new or fixed ones take forever to get set up!  :whistle:

#15 2011-10-22 12:52:56

gubi
Website

Thanks guys it sure is a day that you will remember for the rest of your life.  I have been back twice, I worked there on a mixed farm cows, pigs and a cheese plant for a winter after college.  It was nice but I couldn't wait to get back home to Canada.  2 years ago I went on a trip with fellow Brown Swiss breeders from Canada and the US to watch a show and visit some of the best Brown Swiss farms over there, what an amazing time!  We came to Canada to farm.

#16 2011-10-22 13:01:43

gubi
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

TSI botched the shipment of my fan for the little giant :banginghead:, so I'm weighing the dangers of starting the incubation still air, then installing the fan and switching over to circulated... Go my note from James today saying the eggs are on the way - be safe, my little gold nuggets!

Hoping the fan shows up on Monday.

Spent the whole day catching up on about 7 years of technology, getting my wife's new laptop up and running. Have my pbucket acct now, so maybe I can post some chickpics soon!

I hatched most of mine in an old still air hovabator with good luck.  I bought a second incubator last year with a fan and the hatching rates where similar in both of them?  I run the still air at 102 and zig zag my eggs through the incubator as I hand turn them.  The still air uses a lot less water for humidity in our case almost none.  I fill it up at the start and then don't refill it until lockdown again but in the new one I had to refill the water lots because the fan will dry things out.  I hope your fan gets there with the eggs, if not I would not change it during incubation.  I'm no expert at hatching but trying to reset temperatures could do more damage to the eggs if you don't get it right right a way. :huh:

#17 2011-10-22 13:09:50

Maggiesdad

Thanks! I was sweating that detail, because I read in a test of the two that the addition of the fan jacked the temp 20F and the thermostat had to be dialed back down to get it right.  I just had an icky feeling about trying to do that and everything that could go wrong.  :)

Here's the test, the person was very thorough...    http://quackershomepage.tripod.com/~Qua … rtest.html

#18 2011-10-23 07:56:57

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I guess they were through.  It's nice to know things should be OK MD, sounds like Stefan can help you trouble-shoot if needed!  :jumping:

#19 2011-10-23 12:59:10

poplar girl
Administrator

I hope everything goes well maggiesdad!! It truely is amazing what eggs can withstand but i know our goal is always to minimize the stress. I think a good thermometer can go a long way towards getting things right, still air or forced air incubator aside. If you start without the fan I would keep it that way throughout this incubation and hatch.

So "eggciting"!! :happycrowd"

To everyone who hatches in the winter...we expect lots of updates and pictures!!

#20 2011-10-23 14:00:47

gubi
Website

Did you hatch with a still air before?  One thing that got me worried the first time hatching with it is that the temperature starts to rise about 10-14 days into incubation and you have to readjust the wafer. This apparently happens because the embryos are growing.  With my thermometer and my incubator every time the thermometer read 103 I turned the waver 1/4 turn down.

PG what kind of thermometer do you recomend?

#21 2011-10-23 14:40:35

Maggiesdad

I've never hatched before, period! :oops:

I've got 4 thermometers in there! one's a remote temp and RH meter, one has a high temp alarm, hope there's still room for the eggs.:whistle:

It's like a little mini ICU. LOL

#22 2011-10-23 16:04:01

poplar girl
Administrator

Gubi I use a Brinsea spot test thermometer. It reads in small increments (either in Celsius or Fahrenheit) very accurately at incubation temperatures. Best aspect is the temperature probe is on a wire so you can stick it in through any vent hole and read the temperature at various heights and locations without opening the lid to the incubator. It wasn't all that expensive I don't think for the value.

In Canada:
http://www.cbotkin.ca/Online_Store/Incu … fault.html
USA:
http://www.brinsea.com/buying/usprice.html

MD incubating is an adventure especially the first few times. Monitoring closely, doing some pretesting, knowing what settings you want for your incubator are all very helpful. The hard part for me is not panicking and adjusting things part way through the incubation! And the ultimate hardest part is NOT opening that lid once the chicks start to hatch for at least 24 hours. I couldn't resist the first few time :oops:  but I'm getting better.

#23 2011-10-23 17:53:08

Maggiesdad

The younguns and I have been going over the rules of incubation!:thumbsup:  I think we're all on the same page. They understand about no peeking and we're making a chart to track the candling days, lockdown, etc.

Back to what we been doing - wistfully watching the last days of warm weather slip through our fingers... it got down to 34F last nite.
Here's a pic of my mandevilla in the sunset last evening to tide you over til next spring...
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/DSC_0773.jpg

#24 2011-10-23 22:41:48

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

The kids will love it MD it is an absolute miracle.  The first time you candle them and you see a little blob moving in there it is magic.  And when they hatc they are all wet and ugly for an hour or more!  Like a drowned rat look! :lol:  And loud, you can hear them in the egg anytime after day 19! :jumping:

I wrote an article on the Spot check thermometer.  It gives some details of what it's temp ranges are etc.  I swear by them, then you are not guessing on temp.....I used to have 5 thermometers!  The indoor outdoor ones with the wire/sensor I ended up using in the brooder to make sure it was a good temp for the chicks.

Brinsea Spot Check Thermometer - Most Important Equipment for Hatching Chicks in an Egg Incubator
http://www.infobarrel.com/Most_Importan … hermometer

#25 2011-10-27 14:34:30

Flat Rock Farm

Glen, love the picture of the Mandavilla, you take lovely pictures.  I am in FL at the moment, it is 82F today, it will be hard to come back tomorrow to 45F :sad: I still have a ton of things to do before the cold really sets in.  So sorry haven't been online much as have been helping my Mum get settled in her new place that she moved into three weeks ago.  I need a vacation from my vacation, LOL.  Have missed the site and everyone, so had to get my fix.  I will be glad to get back to my chickens I have missed them, my DH has been taking good care of them :thumbs:

Adverts

Board footer