Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#1 2011-10-08 08:14:07

Skylinepoultry
Website

Something to think about?

You know that each country has its own standards for a breed of bird. You can have the same breed in three countrys and they have their own standards of how it should be bred. Langshans are a perfect example. Germany,UK, and the US have Langshans but they're bred different. So it got me thinking. There's nothing in North America that an EO can be compared to. The APA cant critique this bird because theres no reference to base it on. EO's are the standard for anything that comes after IT in North America now. True? This bird is the standard here now. We can decide on what's right and whats wrong. Compare same breeds in each country and you'll see everyone has its on standards wether it be a Wyandotte, Langshan, Susssex, etc. We can shoot for standards of Basque but with the gene pool so small, we as a group in this forum need to set the standard for North American Euskal Oiloa (Marraduna Basque). This is bigger than you think. We are the future of this breed here. There needs to be a EO Association for this breed in North America. Just something to think about.

2011-10-08 08:14:07

AdBot
Advertisements

#2 2011-10-08 14:32:38

Susan
Administrator

Re: Something to think about?

Wow, I just woke up and this is the first post I read. Maybe a bit deep so early...... But I LOVE IT. (And feel very humbled at the same time). It is an amazing thing to consider

#3 2011-10-08 15:59:13

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

This is interesting and a good point we can see what everyone has and make a slight change to what the breed looks like to benifit us on getting it put into the APA.

Mainly raising Norwegian  Jaerhorn’s, Partridge  Chantecler’s, White Chantecler’s,  Euskal Oiloas, Ameraucana’s, Wheaten Maran’s, Barred Rock Cochin’s, White Silkie’s , Saxony Ducks, Rouen Clair ducks, Australian Spotted Ducks Lavender Guinea Fowl, Welsh Mountain Sheep, Cashmere Goats and Texas Longhorn Cattle.

#4 2011-10-08 22:11:19

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I have been thinking about this for a while, I know it is coming.  I don't like organizing things or the antagonism and division which can come along with this "stage".  Even when setting up the website and forum I didn't know if I should be making up an association name.  I didn't feel like I should be the one to decide, but it is necessary if we are to have any goals. 

I think we need to follow the Spanish rules!  Even if it takes 5 years longer to get the APA stuff approved.   I don't think changing things to suit us is the best thing (but know my EO roos will always be big and wide! :doI?: )  I think it will take us years to get them uniform, but I don't think we should rush it and have all the hassle like the smooth and feathered legged marans stuff.  Keeping to the original should be the ideal IMO.  If people like the really colourful dark roos and red mottled hens, maybe we can make another colour if we can get it stable, but if we start with the original, then that is a solid foundation, right? 

I personally would love to go over to the EO Basque conference and show in the next year or two with anyone else who would like to get this breed on the map in North America. I want to visit breeders farms and the show and learn from the experts there.  I would like to get a feel for the birds in person there, pics are great but I want to know.  I am not a poultry expert, I've only had birds 4.5 years, but as a group we can learn and improve and do this awesome breed justice! 

I am planning on getting some tapes or something and teaching myself Basque and Spanish so I can understand, I love these birds so much.   :EO: And I hope we can do this well and really hope we can do this in harmony.  I am not a power hungry indidividual, I just want to share these babies and make a difference!

#5 2011-10-08 22:34:36

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

I have been thinking about this for a while, I know it is coming.  I don't like organizing things or the antagonism and division which can come along with this "stage".  Even when setting up the website and forum I didn't know if I should be making up an association name.  I didn't feel like I should be the one to decide, but it is necessary if we are to have any goals. 

I think we need to follow the Spanish rules!  Even if it takes 5 years longer to get the APA stuff approved.   I don't think changing things to suit us is the best thing (but know my EO roos will always be big and wide! :doI?: )  I think it will take us years to get them uniform, but I don't think we should rush it and have all the hassle like the smooth and feathered legged marans stuff.  Keeping to the original should be the ideal IMO.  If people like the really colourful dark roos and red mottled hens, maybe we can make another colour if we can get it stable, but if we start with the original, then that is a solid foundation, right? 

I personally would love to go over to the EO Basque conference and show in the next year or two with anyone else who would like to get this breed on the map in North America. I want to visit breeders farms and the show and learn from the experts there.  I would like to get a feel for the birds in person there, pics are great but I want to know.  I am not a poultry expert, I've only had birds 4.5 years, but as a group we can learn and improve and do this awesome breed justice! 

I am planning on getting some tapes or something and teaching myself Basque and Spanish so I can understand, I love these birds so much.   :EO: And I hope we can do this well and really hope we can do this in harmony.  I am not a power hungry indidividual, I just want to share these babies and make a difference!

I agree Claire! It is a huge endeavor if you think about it from the ground up. We have made a dent in the start of this breeds popularity and I'm not looking to rush anything and have a ton of politics to ruin the fun of this breed. But the reality is that it is going to happen sooner or later. That's a good idea about having a second strain of the Marradunas. Because I really like the more speckled looking gurlz. You got to reallize that I'm gonna be pumping these birds out in huge numbers this year and people are going to really be getting attached to this new breed like we have. By next year its gonna be an explosion of new members wanting to have some sort of status to brag and boast about the fabulous Basque. I feel honored but overwhelmed already at what's fixing to happen. Ya know?

#6 2011-10-08 23:10:54

Maggiesdad

Amen to that...

I've lots of questions about breeding, selection, culling and the like, but since I'm so new at this I will continue researching on my own... hopefully when I do ask they will be intelligent questions.

#7 2011-10-09 00:08:18

texastinsel

I am ready to have a go at this and contribute what I can in this endeavor...it's so exciting!!!  :chook:

#8 2011-10-10 22:26:23

Amblecroft
Website

I don't know how similar my experiences have been with the dogs I have, but I have been in on the ground floor (so to speak) with my two breeds of dogs, the Pyrenean Shepherds and the Petits Bassets Griffons Vendeens.  Both these breeds are from France and the standards that were written for them in North America were to suit what was being bred and collected here.  10-20 years later people started to realize that they should have had more patience and tried harder with their breeding programs as they were basically creating a different breed than in their home country, France.  It was/is really a mess.

I would agree with Clare that we should adopt the Basque standard and if an additional colour wanted to be added later then do so, but keep the original standard as a starting base.  I know how much patience it takes to breed consistancy, especially with our "instant gratification" culture. 

Because of my dogs, I go to France, often to the Basque Pyrenees, almost once a year.  Now that I have my Basque Hens I'll certainly be on the lookout for chickens at the B & Bs that I stay at.  I'd love to hear when any chicken exhibitions are on in the area if anyone hears anything.  Last year I took some pictures of the Naked-Neck variety at a farm we stayed at and never even realized!!!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#9 2011-10-10 23:21:59

Susan
Administrator

:goodthread: lots to think about, but I agree. Patience. I also would aspire to following the standard as it has been set out in Spain. We have the genetics, it will just take awhile to get there. I don't want to create a new breed. I want to have Euskal Oiloak.  I think importing new blood is worth more effort than trying to reinvent the wheel, then take off on a tangent. For now, let's get more babies bred from what we have. Let's get as many people interested as possible. Let's consider the standard when pairing up breeders.
I am also not one to look to control this breed or the direction it goes. It will be the collective effort of those who really care about it that bring it to it's glory here in North America. If we pursue forming a more formal association than this forum, let it develop gradually with a long term goal. These birds aren't going anywhere. For many of us they will be perfect regardless of a side sprig or extra grey here and there. And let's be sure to work together and support each other as we go :)

#10 2011-10-11 00:40:48

Skylinepoultry
Website

I didn't want to confuse anyybody at what I was thinking about. The goal is to shoot for the Basque standard but in the mean time an association needs to slowly be set in place. I was mearly stating that there will be subtle differences considering we don't have completely full blooded correctly standard Basque at our finger tips right now. Make due with what we have and keep breeding to the standard until we do get some full blooded Basque to work with. I really think we are pretty darn close to standard now. I only see roos being slightly off color at the base but other than that they look really good. Shank color won't be a problem at all to breed out. I just want that great personality and that well roundness this bird is to stay in tact. That's the main thing I have fell in love with the most. This is an awesome breed and I surely don't want to mess that up. That's for sure! Slow is the key and I'm a patient person. But like I said, its just something to think about. This is a fantastic group of people in here and I'm proud to be a part of this. Oh yeah, just one more thing I noticed. Over a year ago when you would look up basque or Euskal Oiloa or anything in that reference. There was nothing that would pop up!  Now type it in. That was the thing that made me realize we've made a dent. They're being noticed now!

#11 2011-10-11 01:44:35

Young Heritage

I spoke with someone on BYC who had made a post in an old thread about The Euskal Oiliak Breed, He said that you could find a version of the Euskal Oiliak in other places by different names. It was the combination of the breeds that were brought in that region that became land locked and started breeding true over time. I do not know if this is true since I am not familiar with all the breeds but it had some validity in my mind. So if we create our own standard I personally would not call them Euskal Oiliak. I think it is the Basque standard that makes them Euskal Oiliak. I personally will be breeding mine to the Basque standard. I do agree with Skyline that an Association needs to be started so these questions about the standard can be voted on and other things reguarding Euskal Oiliak in North America. I hope to one day soon have some of my own. I know once I do I will be honored if I too can help with getting this breed established in North America. Just my 2 cents =D

:goodthread:

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#12 2011-10-11 03:21:28

Skylinepoultry
Website

Young Heritage wrote:

I spoke with someone on BYC who had made a post in an old thread about The Euskal Oiliak Breed, He said that you could find a version of the Euskal Oiliak in other places by different names. It was the combination of the breeds that were brought in that region that became land locked and started breeding true over time. I do not know if this is true since I am not familiar with all the breeds but it had some validity in my mind. So if we create our own standard I personally would not call them Euskal Oiliak. I think it is the Basque standard that makes them Euskal Oiliak. I personally will be breeding mine to the Basque standard. I do agree with Skyline that an Association needs to be started so these questions about the standard can be voted on and other things reguarding Euskal Oiliak in North America. I hope to one day soon have some of my own. I know once I do I will be honored if I too can help with getting this breed established in North America. Just my 2 cents =D

You'll have some Marradunas before the year is up for sure.
I just want to clarify again that I'm not wanting to put any pressure about this on anyone or make it not fun owning this wonderful breed. I was just looking at it long term. I was thinking about it all day the other evening and thought how lucky I was to have such a fantastic breed of bird. The main thing from the beginning is that I want people to see what I'm experiencing with them. There's lots of great breeds of birds out there but I dont understand why this one seems to have my attention the most. I believe its the fullness of everything that it is. So well rounded. Its truely a homesteaders bird. Every characteristic sways that way. So lively its personality. Makes me happy everytime I'm around them.

#13 2011-10-11 11:18:08

Young Heritage

Skylinepoultry wrote:

Young Heritage wrote:

You'll have some Marradunas before the year is up for sure.
I just want to clarify again that I'm not wanting to put any pressure about this on anyone or make it not fun owning this wonderful breed. I was just looking at it long term. I was thinking about it all day the other evening and thought how lucky I was to have such a fantastic breed of bird. The main thing from the beginning is that I want people to see what I'm experiencing with them. There's lots of great breeds of birds out there but I dont understand why this one seems to have my attention the most. I believe its the fullness of everything that it is. So well rounded. Its truely a homesteaders bird. Every characteristic sways that way. So lively its personality. Makes me happy everytime I'm around them.

That is my main reason for wanting them. There are other reasons of course but this is what drew me to them in the beginning. Can't wait to have some and I know you will take care of that need. I did not take it as any pressure or anything. Just expressing my opinion. I still agree we need an association for this breed if we are to get it established in North America. Only concern I have is if we wait too long and the breed gains popularity then someone else might start it and take it in a direction we do not want or agree on. I have heard about this happening in the past already "Buckeys" is an example. There are / were 2 associations for Buckeys an it has caused some problems. I do not have any yet and I think they are a wonderful breed. What does that tell you, more people are sure to want these once the name/info gets out. I would be willing to help organize the association or help get it started. I just have no experience in it and would need some guidance. I can host the website for free as long as we do not need anything special on the webpage format. I also can provide phone numbers and Auto Attendants, mailboxes, and anything else that you would find on a business phone system. We can have further conversations on this if there is a need. I can provide most any technical aspect we would need for this. Do we need to start a thread just for the creation of the Association? I do not think this "theme" will go away until the Association is created. Glad you brought this up Skyline as I think it has been on most of our minds at one point or another. I know it has been on my mind.

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#14 2011-10-11 19:46:01

Skylinepoultry
Website

I was gonna say it but I held it back. I just didn't want to seem pushy about it but that was my thought too. Id have no problem withh you doing the hosting Stacey.

#15 2011-10-11 20:34:07

Young Heritage

Skylinepoultry wrote:

I was gonna say it but I held it back. I just didn't want to seem pushy about it but that was my thought too. Id have no problem with you doing the hosting Stacey.

I feel I am talking among friends here and if I ever say anything that offends or upsets someone I am sorry. It is never my intentions to verbally harm anyone on here. I am just truthful and sometimes it bites me like it is probably about to do :whistle:

That being said....... If someone doesn't want to start an Association now they do not have to. No one is being forced to do anything that I am aware of. Sometimes we need to be pushy to get things done. Everyone does not have to agree or be part of it. It is a choice like most things but if you want to have a say in it you have to make that choice. If you want a say in it now then you have to be active now. Plus like I said before, If we do not do it someone will. I personally would rather it be one of us here who we know and trust when it comes to these birds. I think a thread needs to be started to first vote in members, organizers, ect. Then we need to come up with a name for it. At that point we can work on the website and hosting it. Once these things have taken place then maybe we can start adopting the standard we agree on. I am sure I have left some things off as I have never done this before. Any thoughts? :hi:

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#16 2011-10-11 21:39:53

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I seriously think we should do a joint North American Association with a US and Canadian HQ, as our outlook and goals are aligned.  Keeping (or getting to :whistle:) the basque standard, breeding for temperament and enjoying this awesome breed are high on the list. 

By setting something up now that is stronger with 2 countries aligned along with the true Basque standard, it may help if/when this gets to the APA stage and there are other groups. We can't stop them from forming, but by being the biggest and first and using the source country standards, have the best chance of getting our vision for the EOs approved, not some poorer version.  I'd love to keep the forum as the forum for any North American Association, and can change the name if needed.  There is so much great info here, a great nucleus of info and enthusiasm and eggs! :EO:

One day, we will want to show our EOs up here in Canada too, and it would be a shame if the standard eventually accepted wasn't the best we can do to preserve this rare breed.

I know there are enthusiastic and key Canadian site members here on vacation overseas at the moment and not reliably available to be online, so maybe if we could hold off for a week or two that would be great.  I agree we need something in place, for the good of the breed.  I am not a great organizer, but I can spot an awesome chicken breed when I see it!  I am happy to be part of something bigger to look out for this great breed.

#17 2011-10-11 22:09:48

Young Heritage

I agree it needs to be both Canada and The US as a whole. I have no problem waiting a week or two. I would want everyone interested to have a say. I also agree the forum has so much valuable info and would I personally have no problems keeping this forum for the association. I hope the majority agree. Do not know why they wouldn't. I think it would be OK to continue these conversations while they are away as long as we do not vote on anything or make any decisions. They can always catch up and express their thoughts. Great thoughts and Ideas.  :thumbs:

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#18 2011-10-11 22:55:23

Skylinepoultry
Website

:thumbsup:

Wow!  Sounds great guys.. I vote that this forum be incorporated in the EO Association. Considering I dont have a clue on how all this would come together. Not exactly a computer savy person when it comes to connecting the cyber dots. I LOVE the idea of Canada and USA joining in on this together. This is HUGE! Slow and easy this will go. But as usual we have paved more road with at least talking about it.
Think about it though. This is how big this is. We are establishing a completely new breed of bird into North America. When was the last time a new breed has been established here? Now if we could get all EO's over here. Oh my goodness, It would be an avalanche. (Thats further down the road of course) Through our talks about this I think we could designate positions though a volunteered action to keep the resposibility from over whelming everyone because like me and Claire have done said many times before, this needs to be a fun and enjoyable hobby.

#19 2011-10-12 00:01:25

Maggiesdad

I've wanted chickens for years, and for one reason or another, never got around to it.  When my wife and I started homeschooling our 6 yo twins, the topic kept coming up.

When my daughter Maggie and I saw some black pullets and cockerels in a dogpen at a local feed store, she told me "Dad, we can give them a better home than that."  So we did. And 4 weeks in to that, I'm building coops, tractors, brooders and the like. Plus I'm a member of this and another poultry forum...

So in the midst of cramming Chickens 101, 102 and 103, all at the same time, and googling 'til my eyes bleed everything I can find about the dual purpose heritage breeds I think I want to delve into, I kept coming across EOs and the good things James and Claire (and everybody else!) had to say about them.

And here I am... your humble inexperienced chicken tester.  The Basque standards describe the bird I'm looking for, period.
If our American strains of EO tend to get plumper faster, AND deliver a lot more delicious large eggs (than their Old World counterparts), then so be it. I won't complain. :eat:

But it's my sincere wish that I might be able to bring the "Chicken Newby's" perspective to this introduction.

:hi:  Glen

Last edited by Maggiesdad (2011-10-12 00:03:01)

#20 2011-10-12 00:17:07

Young Heritage

I will not complain either if they lay more or get a little more meat but unfortunately that rate for both is set in a standard. If it deviates it is not to standard. Something else to think about when creating a North American Standard. It would be up to the Association and ultimately the APA as to how many eggs they "should" lay in a year and how big they get. Now the big question is how many people will follow the standard in as many aspects as they can? I personally will follow it the best I can. If I need more eggs I will get more chickens. Same with meat. I understand some people do not have the ability to just add to their flock so all situations/flocks are different. It also depends on your goals. Alot of people will not breed to standard just because they do not care about it and that is ok too. But if becoming a reputable breeder your stock must match the standard as best as possible. Gotta love the chicken world. =D

FBCM and Euskal Oiloa

#21 2011-10-12 04:34:27

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Skylinepoultry wrote:

:thumbsup:

Wow!  Sounds great guys.. I vote that this forum be incorporated in the EO Association. Considering I dont have a clue on how all this would come together. Not exactly a computer savy person when it comes to connecting the cyber dots. I LOVE the idea of Canada and USA joining in on this together. This is HUGE! Slow and easy this will go. But as usual we have paved more road with at least talking about it.
Think about it though. This is how big this is. We are establishing a completely new breed of bird into North America. When was the last time a new breed has been established here? Now if we could get all EO's over here. Oh my goodness, It would be an avalanche. (Thats further down the road of course) Through our talks about this I think we could designate positions though a volunteered action to keep the resposibility from over whelming everyone because like me and Claire have done said many times before, this needs to be a fun and enjoyable hobby.

I couldn't agree more James! :thumbs:  This is exciting.

Maggiesdad you will love these, this is perfect timing, as you will have little helpers now.  That is the great thing about the EOs they have personality and intelligence and are a real treat to care for.

Young heritage I will certainly be following the standard (and aware of how far off I am!), but will need to pay closer attention to egg numbers and bird weights than I have been.  With wanting more eggs you will have a drop in weight, or vice versa, no breed can do all.  We can always get you some Lepsaoilas as they are more meaty...and easy to pluck the necks ;)  They have figured out at government research facilities  in Spain what this breed is capable of, I am happy to go with that.  I suspect we'll need to keep a close eye on production and that it doesn't fall with our small gene pool.  This is an exciting time!

#22 2011-10-12 07:14:01

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

I've wanted chickens for years, and for one reason or another, never got around to it.  When my wife and I started homeschooling our 6 yo twins, the topic kept coming up.

When my daughter Maggie and I saw some black pullets and cockerels in a dogpen at a local feed store, she told me "Dad, we can give them a better home than that."  So we did. And 4 weeks in to that, I'm building coops, tractors, brooders and the like. Plus I'm a member of this and another poultry forum...

So in the midst of cramming Chickens 101, 102 and 103, all at the same time, and googling 'til my eyes bleed everything I can find about the dual purpose heritage breeds I think I want to delve into, I kept coming across EOs and the good things James and Claire (and everybody else!) had to say about them.

And here I am... your humble inexperienced chicken tester.  The Basque standards describe the bird I'm looking for, period.
If our American strains of EO tend to get plumper faster, AND deliver a lot more delicious large eggs (than their Old World counterparts), then so be it. I won't complain. :eat:

But it's my sincere wish that I might be able to bring the "Chicken Newby's" perspective to this introduction.:EO:

:hi:  Glen

You couldnt of came in at a better time then now to be introduuced to a fabulous breed of bird. The years I've been around birds to learn each ones characteristics has been a blessing and a curse ( curse being I'm a chicken addict,lol) .. Has made me appreciate the EO.. Not everyone will understand it until they've had numerous of breeds to experience. Then it'll all make sense.

:EO:

#23 2011-10-15 23:36:03

poplar girl
Administrator

Lots of very good thoughts, ideas and enthusiasm coming through on this thread! But also some caution which I think is warranted.

Officially moving in the direction of having Euskal Oiloa become a recognized breed with the American Poultry Assiciation is pretty huge. I know I currently enjoy the more toned down feel EOs have because they are NOT an APA approved breed. I personally sit on the fence as to whether it would be wise for me to invest the huge amount of time and energy to work towards registration of a breed that I currenly find very enjoyable, productive AND stress free.  That said, if this group does not create an association someone else probably will and that does have some drawbacks.

I think a right first step before any voting or decisions are made may be to educate ourselves.

How many members have shown birds?
How many are members of the APA?
How many are a member of a breed association?
Has anyone participated in having a new breed color recognized by the APA?

The reason I ask these questions is, from the VERY little I know, I think that having a new breed regognized by the APA is a HUGE undertaking. Even having an additional color recognized is time consuming but a new breed, and one color at a time as well...

When is spoke briefly to an APA judge a few months ago he did know what marraduna EOs were. He described them as a barnyard chicken with crele type coloring. The comment about them being "barnyard chickens" I think came from the fact that the breed has a huge amount of variability present. Part of registering a new breed is showing consistency accross multiple generations and multiple flocks.

Perhaps we could ask some questions of one or more knowledgable APA members (like an officer, director or maybe a judge) to better understand what would be required? If we do decide to move forward knowledge as to the best way to do so would be valuable and I would guess that the APA will need to be consulted and supportive of any efforts if they are to be successful. I know Heather Hayes a little, the APA director for Western Canada, she may be willing to provide some advice and information. Does someone else have contacts within the APA?

What does everyone think? Would finding out more be a good next step?

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#24 2011-10-16 00:02:44

Skylinepoultry
Website

I'm not so much worried about the APA right now. I'm more on the lines of an Association here in the near future.

#25 2011-10-16 01:00:36

poplar girl
Administrator

What would be the reasons for having an EO association? One of the main reasons for being part of a breed association for many people would be the ability to show I would think. What would be the purpose of an EO association without the end goal of being a recognized breed in North America? How would it be different than just a forum?

Just trying to understand...sorry if I am seeming not to get it!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

Adverts

Board footer