Euskal Oiloa Chicken Forum

A place to find out more and share what you know about this awesome rare poultry breed! **NOTE: Those who wish to register as a new member on the forum are asked to email eochickenforum@gmail.com and an Administrator will gladly help you join the forum!

You are not logged in.

Adverts

Adverts

#26 2011-10-23 16:48:37

Maggiesdad

Re: Greetings from Louisa County, Virginia!

Here's a shot from yesterday evening, I've been letting them in the garden since it's gone to weed anyway.  They love scratching under the Scarlet Flame zinnias, their headgear matches the flowers - just like camouflage!

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/DSC_0663.jpg

2011-10-23 16:48:37

AdBot
Advertisements

#27 2011-10-23 17:46:20

Maggiesdad

poplar girl wrote:

Well it seems I somehow missed your introduction!
:welcome:

Maggie is a most lovely vibrant little girl! Her drawing is so sweet...it seems chickens are a part of your family according to Maggie. And a brother. And who is the person in orange? And I see a dog or a cat... I love childrens drawings, sometime they are really quite well thought out.

More of the crew...

Mitsy the LR/BC mix -
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/Mitsy.jpg

Angus and the Marine -They're best buds... Angus is covered in grass from where they've been wrassling.
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/AngusandtheMarine.jpg

Angus, Mitsy and the younger brother - nobody ever holds still around here!
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/maggiesdad1/AngusMitsyandbrother.jpg

#28 2011-10-23 22:30:18

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

What gorgeous doggies!  Looks like you are having a wonderful fun fall day there!  We had sunshine today and  yesterday and does it ever raise the spirits after a week of wind and rain...

#29 2011-10-25 02:19:10

Maggiesdad

:jumping::love::jumping: And we're off!

Great packaging, James! everything came through perfectly. They rested little end down for 8hrs, then a quick candle before easing them into the bator.

I numbered everyone and wrote comments on what I observed of the condition of the each air cell. It will be interesting to note our hatch success rate against my observations.

Beautiful eggs indeed - I've already got favorites!:thumbsup:

Alas, no fan from TSC :huh:, so this will be a still air hatch.

My spirits remain undaunted... we don't need no stinking fan!:chook::cheer::chook:

#30 2011-10-25 02:35:07

Susan
Administrator

Yay! More EO babies. Great luck to you!

#31 2011-10-25 04:55:27

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

:thumbs: Woohoo! Keep us posted we'll be living vicariously through you guys now til spring! Good Luck :thumbs:

#32 2011-10-25 06:21:16

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Great packaging, James! everything came through perfectly. They rested little end down for 8hrs, then a quick candle before easing them into the bator.

I numbered everyone and wrote comments on what I observed of the condition of the each air cell. It will be interesting to note our hatch success rate against my observations.

My spirits remain undaunted... we don't need no stinking fan!:chook::cheer::chook:

I'm glad they made it in good condition. Some people thinks its a little over kill on the wrapping but I've had great shipping success that way and don't plan on changing it. So were the air sacks looking good? I'm so freakn excited and anticipating everyones hatches and finally getting to see pics of everyones chicks that I've shipped out. I'm sooooo ready to see these birds flourish in the States. Keep us updated. Love the pics you've posted!

#33 2011-10-25 12:02:33

poplar girl
Administrator

:jumping: only 20 days to go then!! I love your families excitement MD! And although 21 days feels like a long time isn't just an absolute miracle that a whole little chick with a personality and everything grows in that 21 days?

Your family including the dogs are beautiful. Country living and the never staying still seems to agree with them!

Raising red cuckoo (marraduna) Euskal Oiloak and self blue (lavender) & black Belgian Bearded d'Uccles.

#34 2011-10-25 15:19:07

Lisa

:cheer: Go Glen! Go Babies! :cheer:

When all else fails, go spend time with your chickens. :)

Pens are currently filled with Red Cuckoo (Marraduna) and Red Basque (Gorria) breeders, Spitz, and Seramas.

#35 2011-10-25 19:00:09

Amblecroft
Website

:welcome:  love the pics!

Susan Buttivant at Amblecroft,
Chaparral Pyrenean Shepherds and Petits Bassets
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chaparral/amblecroft.html

#36 2011-10-27 14:25:06

Flat Rock Farm

Glen, just love the new pictures of your children, birds and I love your new pup.  My son is 23 now but I remember the look on his face when he was holding the newly hatched chicks, priceless.  I am down visiting my Mum in FL right now and have been offline for a few days, my Sis and her have gone to the beach so I had some time to catch up.  Keep the pictures coming especially when your EO babies hatch.  I will be trying some but not until at least Feb, just to hard to house chicks in the house until they get big enough to go into my juvenile pen, heated in my shed.  Your children will love the EO's, just make sure their shoes laced are tied tight and if they have open toed shoes they love to peck at your toes! :thumbsup:

#37 2011-10-27 14:52:20

Maggiesdad

Skylinepoultry wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

I'm glad they made it in good condition. Some people thinks its a little over kill on the wrapping but I've had great shipping success that way and don't plan on changing it. So were the air sacks looking good? I'm so freakn excited and anticipating everyones hatches and finally getting to see pics of everyones chicks that I've shipped out. I'm sooooo ready to see these birds flourish in the States. Keep us updated. Love the pics you've posted!

Brief update -

Well, the fan came in the next day (wouldn't you know it!), and yes, I couldn't stand the idea of having the fan and not using it.:banginghead:  So after a couple of dry runs on the install - I went in! (I'm an electrician by trade). From cover off to cover on - 3min 54 sec. Not too shabby. I stayed with it over the next 4 hours to guard against any temp overshoot. Also we turned on the automatic turner late last night.

James, being the newbie to chickens here, I'm not sure which air sacs looked good and which didn't. I did notice differences, though, and will let you know what I saw after the hatch.

#38 2011-10-27 16:56:30

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

I know what you mean Paula, I'd love to hatch some more now, especially since I peeled #99 Chanty hen off some secret EO eggs in the woodpile, she can't have been there long.  She's already hatched 2 lots this year.  Nathan said no.

#39 2011-10-27 17:19:30

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Skylinepoultry wrote:

Maggiesdad wrote:

Brief update -

Well, the fan came in the next day (wouldn't you know it!), and yes, I couldn't stand the idea of having the fan and not using it.:banginghead:  So after a couple of dry runs on the install - I went in! (I'm an electrician by trade). From cover off to cover on - 3min 54 sec. Not too shabby. I stayed with it over the next 4 hours to guard against any temp overshoot. Also we turned on the automatic turner late last night.

James, being the newbie to chickens here, I'm not sure which air sacs looked good and which didn't. I did notice differences, though, and will let you know what I saw after the hatch.

That's pretty fast on the install. Hens don't stay on their eggs the whole time either so all should be well. I actually clean my incubator with the doors wide open sometimes. Its never affected my hatches. Need to get fresh air in there anyways. Please keep me updated. So far its looking good on hatch rate for shipped eggs. Keeping the fingers crossed for everyones hatches. I've been spoiling all my hens and roos. I need them happy and content. They're spoiled rotten and my egg poduction from them is proof of that, well besides thhe fact that they're excellent layers anyways. But a happy chicken lays lots of eggs. I've been miixing up wheat midds with hot water and a little ground corn. They go nutz over it.
Its also lowered my feed bill by half! I can get wheat midds at $235.00 a ton and ground corn at $268.00 a ton. Now if I could just get laying pellets that cheap,lol.. Not seeing that. I honestly need to buy wholesale and resale to customers. Hmmmm, I need to check into that.

#40 2011-10-27 18:30:13

gubi
Website

That was fast Glen!  So how much did you have to adjust the temperature by adding the fan?
I bought a 1 tonne tote of wheat from one of our neighbors last year.  I have to buy some more again.  I'm currently feeding some corn and some mixed grain as treats but they liked the wheat better.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#41 2011-10-27 18:38:01

skeffling lavender farm
Administrator
Website

Wow, ours are leaving the wheat and eating the corn.... they always do this at this time of the year, and go crazy for the wheat in the spring.  :huh:  At least the wheat is sprouting and they are eating the greens.

#42 2011-10-27 18:42:50

gubi
Website

Yes that's another benefit of wheat.  They like the corn but the kernels are almost too big for them.  It's the barley and oats that they are not so keen on, too much fiber I guess.  I'm just feeding them the corn that spilled when we combined.

Herd of Brown Swiss, a few sheep, red cuckoo basque, Silverspangled Appenzeller Spitzhauben, ameraucanas(EE), Welsummer, broodie silkies and a few more heritage hens

#43 2011-10-27 18:45:54

Skylinepoultry
Website

skeffling lavender farm wrote:

Wow, ours are leaving the wheat and eating the corn.... they always do this at this time of the year, and go crazy for the wheat in the spring.  :huh:  At least the wheat is sprouting and they are eating the greens.

When the wheather get real cold here my birds eat more corn too. I'm outside in shorts and tshirt right now :-)
I mix the wheat midds with hot water and it turns into an oatmeal consistency and they go crazy for it.
How much did u have to adjust the temp Glen?

#44 2011-10-27 20:04:23

Maggiesdad

Temp dial back... hmmm :P

I had cut a sheetmetal pointer about 1 -1/4 long, and screwed it onto the adjustment knob, which had a handy hole in it.
The difference between heat off and heat on = right at 1/32" at the end of the pointer. The unit seems to maintain within 1/2°F, because I can adjust up or down by half degrees.
The unit settled in at 99.5°F with a full 7/8" counterclockwise travel of the pointer tip.

Soooo   7/8" = 28/32" = 14°F less...

Disclaimer -  I am not a scientist. If you believe the above, I would also like to interest you in some wonderful oceanfront property here in sunny Louisa...:cheer::lol::cheer:

Last edited by Maggiesdad (2011-10-27 20:04:58)

#45 2011-10-27 20:08:31

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Temp dial back... hmmm :P

I had cut a sheetmetal pointer about 1 -1/4 long, and screwed it onto the adjustment knob, which had a handy hole in it.
The difference between heat off and heat on = right at 1/32" at the end of the pointer. The unit seems to maintain within 1/2°F, because I can adjust up or down by half degrees.
The unit settled in at 99.5°F with a full 7/8" counterclockwise travel of the pointer tip.

Soooo   7/8" = 28/32" = 14°F less...

Disclaimer -  I am not a scientist. If you believe the above, I would also like to interest you in some wonderful oceanfront property here in sunny Louisa...:cheer::lol::cheer:

How much for the ocean front! Lol.

#46 2011-10-27 20:19:57

Maggiesdad

A dozen EO hatching eggs per SQ FT! =D

#47 2011-10-28 06:47:28

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

A dozen EO hatching eggs per SQ FT! =D

The birds will be going on overload,lol.

#48 2011-11-01 04:20:13

Maggiesdad

Culled three blood rings out tonight :(  ( is it wrong to hope for 100%?)

Left in two that were looking a little too clear...  the other 20 have veins and veins with dots in them.

Fingers still crossed :chook:

#49 2011-11-01 04:48:05

Skylinepoultry
Website

Maggiesdad wrote:

Left in two that were looking a little too clear...  the other 20 have veins and veins with dots in them.

Nah! We hope for 100% on all shipped eggs. Just hang in there.

#50 2011-11-01 05:12:51

Island Girl

Maggiesdad wrote:

:thumbs: love to see those little veins and dots, sending you happy hatching thoughts! What day of the hatch are you on now?

XOX Monika

Adverts

Board footer